Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Young have handled things differently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Young have handled things differently?

As opposed to hand picking the most skilled people that give the shuttle group the best chance for survival?

I'm torn on it myself. I would lean towards hand picking the best crew to get the job done. Maybe a line in the middle, hand pick 12 and make a lottery of 5, or something along those lines.

You think he should have taken Rush's advice and "fixed" the lottery? Or just forget the lottery and give the order?

Comment

I was thinking more "give the order" as whats her name(i'm bad with names) suggest early on.

Comment

Young is the polar opposite of Rush in this regard. He is all about honor and integrity. So he acted within the bounds of his personality. He made the logical choices about the pilot and medic and left everything up to fate. I think it would have broken his character if it happened any other way.

Comment

I think Young did what was the most fair in the situation he was given. I think he should have picked a few more people that could have helped them survive. At least one scientist with the knowledge necessary to help them long term. Maybe a few more soldiers to help with thir survival training. Granted, they got scientists and soldiers anyway, but it might not have gone down like that with the lottery. I would say pick 5, lottery 12.

Honestly though, he did what he felt was fair. Can't fault him for that.

- CB
          Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
          Then, you're a mile away ... and you have his shoes.

Enjoy Online Roleplaying? So do I! Contact me over any listed IM program to learn about my Online Roleplaying Website! (E-Mail me first if you plan to contact me through MSN, I have privacy mode enabled.)

Or join my Roleplaying Group, and I'll contact you!

Comment

I think Young handled things correctly, he played it fair.

Comment

Half Lottery and half hand picked imo.
              sigpic

Comment

I would have probably gone 5 hand picked, 10 lottery. They had two soldiers, one being a medic, then probably one more soldier, and a couple of scientists. The rest is up to luck.

Comment

I don't consider it fair. The amount of survivors guilt that lottery could've wrought is immense. While I enjoy his personality and strength, it still struck me as a decision more based in emotional/physical exhaustion than some sense of fairness.

Comment

Originally posted by Radahldo View Post
                    I don't consider it fair. The amount of survivors guilt that lottery could've wrought is immense. While I enjoy his personality and strength, it still struck me as a decision more based in emotional/physical exhaustion than some sense of fairness.
                    Which is why I feel that Young and Rush need to have co-leadership. Young will always do the fair thing. Rush will do the logical thing.

You also have to admit the fact that, sometimes, there is no right answer.

Comment

Luck yes, but it should be a narrowed pool, like no one over 40 and no non-reproductive age females. It should also have been 8 females, 7 males to maximize fertility.

There is no hope of rescue from Earth on that planet, so long-term survival depends on establishing a breeding population. It would be difficult to maximize genetic diversity in the growing colony, but you could probably make a long term population from such a small group.

After all, based on genetic analysis, many geneticists believe that sometime in early human history, some natural disaster (probably the Toba supervolcano) decimated the human population, to the point where there were only thought to be a few hundred reproductive females remaining in the entire world, and from that number today's diversity has developed.
                      Last edited by Descended; 23 October 2009, 07:14 PM.

Comment

logically, i can't agree with his lotto. to maximize survival you need skills, experience and knowledge. scott and TJ were obvious choices. someone else with survival skills, then people with other knowledge, scientists that could make stuff. and yes, a good male/female ratio.
                        really, you need one male for every 3-5 females i think.

course, that ratio is hard with the crew that they have, which is largely male.

things worked out, but really, for genetic survival they'd need all 80ish people. minimum sustainable genetic diversity is 40ish i think. so 80 would be good, especially since the gender divide is about 50/50 or 60/40

of course, the other key to genetic survival is, monogamy is a thing of the past. every woman should have a child by as many different men as she physically can. then half brothers and half sisters can't reproduce together.

romance and love would be a thing of the past and genetic diversity the main goal
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                          I think Young handled things correctly, he played it fair.
                          85 people on the destiny and if he had hand picked them all he proabaly would have ended up with senator armstrong
                          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Col. Young should handle things differently yes.

He should choose 7 males & 8 females for human survival. Young and healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Descended View Post
                              Luck yes, but it should be a narrowed pool, like no one over 40 and no non-reproductive age females. It should also have been 8 females, 7 males to maximize fertility.

There is no hope of rescue from Earth on that planet, so long-term survival depends on establishing a breeding population. It would be difficult to maximize genetic diversity in the growing colony, but you could probably make a long term population from such a small group.

After all, based on genetic analysis, many geneticists believe that sometime in early human history, some natural disaster (probably the Toba supervolcano) decimated the human population, to the point where there were only thought to be a few hundred reproductive females remaining in the entire world, and from that number today's diversity has developed.
                              I was thinking the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X