• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part 1 (112)

Visit the Episode GuideGALACTICA SEASON ONE
    KOBOL'S LAST GLEAMING, PART 1
    EPISODE NUMBER - 112

The fleet discovers the planet Kobol, prompting President Roslin to seek the Arrow of Apollo back on Caprica. Boomer attempts suicide.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 25 April 2011, 05:26 PM.

Well, very much part 1 of a two-parter, but there was some interesting stuff in it.
    I would have loved to see Starbuck suggesting her plan to Tigh! I don't suppose that is one of those "deleted scenes", though?
    Really, there's not much to say about it as an episode on its own (perhaps that is why nobody has put a comment on here before me) - I should think there will be a lot more to say after the second part.
    Please... leave the touching to the experts.

Comment

this is probably my fav episode of season one, I loved the tension in the entire episode. Most of all the huge tension between Kara and Lee, and that fight between them...I just love it.
      Very good episode I probably should post something bigger ...but I don't want to bore you guys
      http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ux/karaLee.jpg

Comment

hmm. Average ep imo. Roslin is letting the whole religious visions thing get in the way of her job, which isnt good for a leader. Nice to see that they found Kobol, but i would have prefered if it wasnt by such a fluke. And then its surrounded by a fleet of Cylon when they go back...

I liked the scene where father and son were sparing, and where Baltar had an argument between Roslin and number 6 at the same time. Lee and Starbuck showing some emotion was good to.
        Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

This episode is rather like an avalanche that shows the culmination of several of Season 1's ongoing plots, including Boomer's self-doubts, the manipulation of Helo, kamala hallucinations and others.

How about that unforgettable Act 2 fadeout, after Baltar manipulates Boomer into taking the shot? That sequence was in a word, dark. The teaser was magnificent as well, a whirlpool of emotion that sets the stage for an event finale.

There were two things that bothered me: the Starbuck "I believed in you" thread (which struck me as... awkward) and a couple Head Six moments (her presence started to wear on me during "Colonial Day" and at times here).

Overall, however, this was a very effective setup for everything to hit the fan (well, some of it already has regarding Helo and Sharon). All this and a nice, brief space skirmish in which Raptor 3 is kamikazed by a Cylon Raider (do we ever see this tactic again?) make for a great, tense, glacial offering.

8/10

P.S. This was also the introduction of the Opera House... That sure was milked for all it was worth.
          sigpic
          Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

This episode is pretty good, but it's understandably slower since it's mostly set-up for Pt.2.

The opening scene - I love the way it's cut together. So cool! And McCreary's "Passacaglia" is lovely. Of course, my favourite part was the sparring match between Adama and Lee; their relationship is fascinating to me (strikes a bit of a chord) and it's so very well played.

I have to be honest, the Lee/Starbuck relationship never really interested me. The UST, the bickering... *shrugs* Just found it kinda annoying the first time, and that hasn't really changed now.

Baltar's words too Boomer... I've always tried to 'get in his head', as it were, but I still can't quite figure out his motivation. What is he trying to do when he says those things to her?

The theism debate - this is something that has been a part of the show since the start (seen mostly through the conversations between Head Six and Baltar), but it becomes even more relevant here. I found this debate absolutely fascinating - as lame as this sounds, this show really made me take a second look at my thinking on the matter (well, it was one straw among many, but you get the idea). I still haven't made up my mind, but I digress...

Interesting that the last line of the episode should be "Home.", and the title of the episode wherein Starbuck flies the raider off the moon is "You Can't Go Home Again."... I wonder if that was done deliberately? (Knowing RDM, I'm sure it was) I wonder what it means?
            "We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
            ~William Adama

All this has happened before. All this is happening again.

Comment

I kinda wish Boomer didn't make it.....
              sigpic

Comment

I've watched the Battlestar Galactica series more times than I care to admit. But, I always enjoy the series. I was watching this particular episode and had a question. Kara Thrace travels back to Caprica to retrieve the Arrow of Apollo from Delphi Museum of the Colonies. A Six just happens to be at the museum at the same time. Coincidence? Also, how is it possible for the Six to both recognize Kara and know her call-sign is Starbuck?

Comment

To me the scene were Roslin is looking over the satellite imagery of the capital ruins with the priestess and Billy gave me shivers. The part when she sees the original opera house as it was 2000 years ago, but they see ruins. The way it was filmed w/o any F/X signaling the viewer 'Roslin is having a vision' made it so much better.

Comment

I love battlestar! No idea this forum would have battlestar too! And yes this is one of my favorite episodes

Comment

Working...
                    X