ALS cure..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALS cure..

I was just thinking about this... okay it wasn't in the imformation they brought up from the planet, but wouldn't the first colonists they collected have at least one doctor with them? like if your sending people out to colonise a planet, Id think you'd send at least 1 doctor. Similarly wouldn't there be a doctor on the planet where they are going to drop off the settlers, they seemed to be evacuating most of Novus to that planet so there must be quite a few doctors right... Also since Yazou knew about it, other people from his colony probably would too, some of them might even knoe the basis of a cure. And of course the Novian ships, why can't Destiny simply find them, I know space is big and all that, but we saw earlier on in the season that Destiny detected the energy signatures of the debris field, which was a days journey FTL away, so why couldn't Destiny just make the trip in like 12 hour segments, stopping each time scanning for the novian ships and moving on.

And finally who can forget Perry and Ginn, we saw they had access to the ships medical database before, like if the Novans had a cure for ALS so did the ancients.. they just probably didn't call it ALS so it would be difficult to find fair enough.. but why not just let them out of whatever Eli put them in and ask them...
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
    I was just thinking about this... okay it wasn't in the imformation they brought up from the planet, but wouldn't the first colonists they collected have at least one doctor with them? like if your sending people out to colonise a planet, Id think you'd send at least 1 doctor. Similarly wouldn't there be a doctor on the planet where they are going to drop off the settlers, they seemed to be evacuating most of Novus to that planet so there must be quite a few doctors right... Also since Yazou knew about it, other people from his colony probably would too, some of them might even knoe the basis of a cure. And of course the Novian ships, why can't Destiny simply find them, I know space is big and all that, but we saw earlier on in the season that Destiny detected the energy signatures of the debris field, which was a days journey FTL away, so why couldn't Destiny just make the trip in like 12 hour segments, stopping each time scanning for the novian ships and moving on.

And finally who can forget Perry and Ginn, we saw they had access to the ships medical database before, like if the Novans had a cure for ALS so did the ancients.. they just probably didn't call it ALS so it would be difficult to find fair enough.. but why not just let them out of whatever Eli put them in and ask them...
    I was thinking the same thing. Though I kind of expect Destiny to be able to pick up the Novans Ships on the fly. At least we always assumed that Destiny gets its Data from the Gates while being in FTL whenever they get in range. So theoretically it should be possible for Destiny to monitor radiowaves while travelling FTL.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
    There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Having a doctor and knowing the cure are two different things. They're different areas of study in the field.

Finding the Novan ships isn't as easy. The aren't as advanced and thus not as easy to detect. Destiny only found the battlefield because there were a lot of ships emitting energy.

If Ginn and Perry could be let out that easy, Eli would have done it already.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
        Having a doctor and knowing the cure are two different things. They're different areas of study in the field.

Finding the Novan ships isn't as easy. The aren't as advanced and thus not as easy to detect. Destiny only found the battlefield because there were a lot of ships emitting energy.

If Ginn and Perry could be let out that easy, Eli would have done it already.
        Wasnt in the Debris field just one ship that was sending out a SOS? The rest of the Ships where well destroyed and thats a pretty weak signal. So if Destiny goes into the same Direction as them they may just pick up the Ships signals along the way.

Ginn and Perry can be let out fairly easy, thing is that after what happened with Rush, Young will probably not want to take the Chance of one of them loosing it. Especially Amanda seems very unstable after everything she has been through in life.

Shouldn´t a Doctor know the Basics? I guess a cure for a Desease like that cant be reinvented just that easily, but Destinies Crew now has some of the Info from the Novans and the Ancients. There has to be something in there that can help.
        Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
        Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Comment

The Novans cured a genetic disease 200 years ago. With it being cured, it would no longer be passed down through the genes and therefore no reason for any doctors to have to study how to cure it. Especially if the explaination for the cure is already in the archive.

Any doctors on any of the settlements would not know from memory how to cure it at this point, since the disease (in theory) no longer exists. They would have to rely on the reference material.

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
            Wasnt in the Debris field just one ship that was sending out a SOS? The rest of the Ships where well destroyed and thats a pretty weak signal. So if Destiny goes into the same Direction as them they may just pick up the Ships signals along the way.
            The energy signature they detected was from the residual radiation of the entire field.

Ginn and Perry can be let out fairly easy, thing is that after what happened with Rush, Young will probably not want to take the Chance of one of them loosing it. Especially Amanda seems very unstable after everything she has been through in life.
            How do you know? Eli said he quarantined them. Maybe that's hard to undo. And Amanda is not unstable. She was negligent, that's it.

Shouldn´t a Doctor know the Basics? I guess a cure for a Desease like that cant be reinvented just that easily, but Destinies Crew now has some of the Info from the Novans and the Ancients. There has to be something in there that can help.
            Doctors aren't pharmacists. Even if they did have a doc with a basic idea of what the cure contained, he wouldn't know how to make it.

Comment

I was just thinking about this... okay it wasn't in the imformation they brought up from the planet, but wouldn't the first colonists they collected have at least one doctor with them? like if your sending people out to colonise a planet, Id think you'd send at least 1 doctor. Similarly wouldn't there be a doctor on the planet where they are going to drop off the settlers, they seemed to be evacuating most of Novus to that planet so there must be quite a few doctors right...
              Just like how the Destiny has a doctor too, right? And, yeah, I know the whole "emergency evac" thing from Icarus kind of forced their hand, but still. Plus, there are different doctors for different medical subjects. An Optometrist knows nothing that a Dermatologist does and vice verse.

Besides, they had been there for 30 years. Maybe the doctor died since then?
              Also since Yazou knew about it, other people from his colony probably would too, some of them might even knoe the basis of a cure.
              I know there's a cure for Polio and Smallpox. Doesn't mean I could tell you what it is.
              And of course the Novian ships, why can't Destiny simply find them, I know space is big and all that, but we saw earlier on in the season that Destiny detected the energy signatures of the debris field, which was a days journey FTL away, so why couldn't Destiny just make the trip in like 12 hour segments, stopping each time scanning for the novian ships and moving on.
              A) debris field was a stationary target, not a constantly moving one.

B) Novian ships, while lacking FTL or Hyperdrives, probably travel at close to light speed. This more than likely subjects them to time-dilation effects and might be, literally, untraceable by the Destiny.

C) You would burn out the FTL engines so fast using this method.
              Firstly, the Ancients were a different lifeform. This has been stated numerous times throughout Stargate. While they were technically human, they had other...."properties" about them that made them different. They may never have suffered from ALS, same name or not. Secondly, ALS is a genetic disease and if there was a cure, it would have irradicated ALS much like how Polio and Smallpox have been. It is more than likely that doctors would have to look up the cure as they wouldn't be familiar with something that was used once 200 years ago. And lastly, if releasing a downloaded human consciousness from electronic quarantine was really that easy, it would have happened. The crew of Destiny are people. Not miracle workers.
              sigpic
              ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

The Novans cured a genetic disease 200 years ago. With it being cured, it would no longer be passed down through the genes and therefore no reason for any doctors to have to study how to cure it. Especially if the explaination for the cure is already in the archive.

no offense but the general doctor doesn't know cures. he knows what symptoms link to what disease and what cure is meant for that disease. the pharmacist does know

Comment

I wonder if the evacuees who left before the Novus gate was lost took a copy of the archive with them. Unlikely, but worth TJ asking when they get to the resettlement planet.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                    no offense but the general doctor doesn't know cures. he knows what symptoms link to what disease and what cure is meant for that disease. the pharmacist does know
                    Ummm...no...a pharmacist only gives out medications. The prescription for the medication is written by a doctor...doctors diagnose the illness and prescribe a method of treatment. A pharmacist may have knowledge of what drugs treat what illness, but they are not qualified to diagnose an illness and they are not qualified to write a prescription for medication. Only doctors can do that.
                    sigpic

Comment

But as the OP said, maybe on the planet they are going to would have a doctor. They said they evacuated most of the people before and then once the gate was lost they built the ships right. so I think it would be pretty safe to assume there would be a doctor or someone who knows how to make the drug. Out of everyone that would be evacuated, someone would know how to do it. Not the people from the small colony, but the planet the ships are going to. Also I definitely believe they could have taken a version of their archive. Maybe not everything but at least medical knowledge.

Oh and with ALS, though in some cases it is genetic, with the majority of cases it is still unknown what the cause it. So they may still have it even after the cure is created.

Comment

Okay okay okay okay, everyone is saying that a doctor wouldn't know about that and how to make the treatment etc... well they were evacuating their civilisation so there would have to be doctors, and pharmacists, and geneticists and everything else. If not on the colony then without a doubt on the ship.

@Greenfire32, The only other people we've seen be capable of moving that fast, close to the speed of light, are the ancients with a ZPM.. and while the Novans are no doubt advanced. They are NOT ancients, infact they've shown no signs of been that advanced at all, infact in many ways they are less advanced then earth. So no they're not moving close to the speed of light. Finding the ship should not have been a problem for Destiny, even if it took them months would anyone onboard have any problem with that??
                        I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Finding the ship should not have been a problem for Destiny, even if it took them months would anyone onboard have any problem with that??
                          Rush would.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post

How do you know? Eli said he quarantined them. Maybe that's hard to undo. And Amanda is not unstable. She was negligent, that's it.
                            Point is that letting them out is Dangerous and we can only hope that they are in a sleepstate while in Quarantine, because I would be pissed when coming out and so might they. If Eli can put them in, then he can get them out again.

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
                            Rush would.
                            Rush would kill the Easterbunny.
                            Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                            Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Comment

Finding the ship should not have been a problem for Destiny, even if it took them months would anyone onboard have any problem with that??
                              Finding the ship would be a problem. It's several decades into space and they have no idea where to look. You can't just up and decide you want something found. It's lost in the void, and they have absolutely no chance of coming across it.

Point is that letting them out is Dangerous and we can only hope that they are in a sleepstate while in Quarantine, because I would be pissed when coming out and so might they. If Eli can put them in, then he can get them out again.
                              Your logic fails on many levels.

One, how are they dangerous? Rush consented to the procedure. Mandy's negligence aside, he put himself there. What else makes them dangerous? I didn't see Mandy gassing the crew or electrifying entire sections. Rush was in no immediate danger in her simulation, and she'd have given up eventually.

Two, the idea that Eli could just reverse the process. If it was so easy, why not do it? As has been established, your idea that they were a threat is total nonsense, so that's not an issue. So what's stopping him? He hasn't gotten around to it?

Three, the idea that they would be pissed. This is just foolish. Ginn knew the consequences and told Eli to do it. Mandy accepted her fate. They wouldn't be mad.

Comment

Working...
                              X