Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

David Hewlett's part in Rise of the Planet of the Apes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Hewlett's part in Rise of the Planet of the Apes?

How big of a part did he have in that? I havent seen it and was wondering how much screen time he had?

S.S.

Very little. Less than 5 minutes in total. But critical to the sequels.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Now you have my curiosity up! I never got around to watching any of the New Planet of the apes movies except snippets while flipping channels. What part does David Hewlett play? Dont care about spoliers.

S.S.

Comment

Well I will put it into spoiler tags anyway just in case either a) you change your mind; or b) someone else clicking into this thread doesn't want to know....

Spoiler:
        In Rise of the Planet of the Apes (the first of the reboot trilogy), the basic plot of the film is that James Franco's character is a scientist working on a cure for Alzheimers, which is a really personal quest for him because his dad (played brilliantly by John Lithgow) is suffering from it more and more severely as time goes on.

The work/drug testing is being done on monkeys with promising results that's massively increasing the intelligence of the monkey test subjects, but when there's an accident/small disaster at the lab, the company executives decide that the project should be shut down--bad news for Franco's character. So he decides to illegally/dangerously take one of the monkey test subjects home and continue the research from his home.

Fast forward to three years later (montages with the monkey and his dad improving and whatnot), and the monkey finds a way out of the house and starts snooping around the neighbour's garage. That neighbour is David Hewlett's character. He finds the monkey and panics, chasing it out of the garage and through the yard with a bat. Franco's character intervenes and tries to say that Caesar (the monkey) was just playing, Hewlett's character angrily tells him not to let that thing out or anywhere near his children ever again.

Fast forward another five years (more montages with Caesar and Franco's dad improving). For some reason or another (I forget how), Caesar gets out of the house again and gets into an altercation with the neighbour (Hewlett) again. In the course of the conflict, Caesar bites off Hewlett's character's finger. Franco again intervenes, but this time Hewlett's character calls the authorities and Caesar is taken away to a primate shelter.

Around this time in the movie, the company where Franco's character works resumes the work on the Alzheimer's drug because of the work that Franco has done in the intervening eight years. One day, one of the lab guys is accidentally exposed to the latest variant of the drug. In his sick and panic, he goes to Franco's house seeking help. Hewlett's neighbour character appears again (as salty as ever), telling the guy to get lost--who promptly sneezes in Hewlett's face.

Then the rest of the movie happens, ape uprising and whatnot, ends in basically a standoff--the apes go to live in the California forests and human civilization continues as-is, and the movie is over.

But the credits scene teases where the next movie will go. Hewlett's character shows up again, and for the first time in the movie we see him going to work--as an airline pilot. As he's heading to work, listening to radio news reports of apes escaping from a lab, his nose inexplicably starts to bleed. He doesn't think anything of it. He gets on his plane, that he's flying from San Francisco to Paris.

David Hewlett's character is the vector by which the Simian Flu spreads across the world and wipes out most of humanity.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Well I will put it into spoiler tags anyway just in case either a) you change your mind; or b) someone else clicking into this thread doesn't want to know....

Spoiler:
          In Rise of the Planet of the Apes (the first of the reboot trilogy), the basic plot of the film is that James Franco's character is a scientist working on a cure for Alzheimers, which is a really personal quest for him because his dad (played brilliantly by John Lithgow) is suffering from it more and more severely as time goes on.

The work/drug testing is being done on monkeys with promising results that's massively increasing the intelligence of the monkey test subjects, but when there's an accident/small disaster at the lab, the company executives decide that the project should be shut down--bad news for Franco's character. So he decides to illegally/dangerously take one of the monkey test subjects home and continue the research from his home.

Fast forward to three years later (montages with the monkey and his dad improving and whatnot), and the monkey finds a way out of the house and starts snooping around the neighbour's garage. That neighbour is David Hewlett's character. He finds the monkey and panics, chasing it out of the garage and through the yard with a bat. Franco's character intervenes and tries to say that Caesar (the monkey) was just playing, Hewlett's character angrily tells him not to let that thing out or anywhere near his children ever again.

Fast forward another five years (more montages with Caesar and Franco's dad improving). For some reason or another (I forget how), Caesar gets out of the house again and gets into an altercation with the neighbour (Hewlett) again. In the course of the conflict, Caesar bites off Hewlett's character's finger. Franco again intervenes, but this time Hewlett's character calls the authorities and Caesar is taken away to a primate shelter.

Around this time in the movie, the company where Franco's character works resumes the work on the Alzheimer's drug because of the work that Franco has done in the intervening eight years. One day, one of the lab guys is accidentally exposed to the latest variant of the drug. In his sick and panic, he goes to Franco's house seeking help. Hewlett's neighbour character appears again (as salty as ever), telling the guy to get lost--who promptly sneezes in Hewlett's face.

Then the rest of the movie happens, ape uprising and whatnot, ends in basically a standoff--the apes go to live in the California forests and human civilization continues as-is, and the movie is over.

But the credits scene teases where the next movie will go. Hewlett's character shows up again, and for the first time in the movie we see him going to work--as an airline pilot. As he's heading to work, listening to radio news reports of apes escaping from a lab, his nose inexplicably starts to bleed. He doesn't think anything of it. He gets on his plane, that he's flying from San Francisco to Paris.

David Hewlett's character is the vector by which the Simian Flu spreads across the world and wipes out most of humanity.
          ...But McKay still blew up a Solar System.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
            ...But McKay still blew up a Solar System.
            Pff. Five sixths, and it was unpopulated. Amateur

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

Spoiler:

Thank you for that!! That’s a nice synopsis

S.S.

Comment

I don't even recall seeing him in the movie, so probably short yea. Digi as always, the custodian of the encyclopedia of literally everything, nice job.

Good movie though, should watch it. I can't look at my pet OurangOutang the same way ever since I've seen it though.
                Spoiler:
                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                  I can't look at my pet OurangOutang the same way ever since I've seen it though.
                  pet OurangOutang?

Do tell?

S.S.

Comment

He had several scenes. Also, I found it interesting that the girl (Madison Bell) who plays David's daughter in the movie, is the same exact actress who plays Jeannie's daughter, Madison Miller. I mean that's an unusual coincidence right? Went from McKay's niece to daughter in two dif fandoms.
                    Last edited by Atlantisrulez; 03 April 2019, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X