This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
    You think computers would be so superior at driving because they don't drink alcohol or take drugs. But computers can have a whole host of other bad things happen to them. They can be hacked, they can malfunction, their circuits could fry, a strong EMP pulse could shut them down, all right in the middle of being driven somewhere. Again, computers will never be able to express human reflexes and intuition on-the-fly. Buck Rogers had the same problem when flying with a fighter squadron to take out some marauders. Their automated targeting computers were crap and so Buck switched to manual and managed to take out all the marauders. Losing some data in a computer crash is one thing, but computers should never be used in a situation where an OS crash could mean that people get seriously hurt or killed. What you call being "afraid" of technology I call exercising a healthy dose of common sense, something that I can see is sorely lacking in modern times.
    That was indeed a good case of demonstrating "Man over Machine".

Also, consider what happened in NuBSG; With the exception of Galactica and her earlier version Vipers, which wasn't networked and didn't rely on tech so much on tech, the Cylons disabled their ships electronically and walked in for the kill.

Comment

Why you guys are imaging science fiction doomsday scenarios, I'll be in the real world where the facts contradict your conspiracy theory like how the early evidence suggest the woman was at fault . Or the fact that computers have been in our cars for almost a decade. Or the risk of computer.malfunction iess than the various mechanical things that break down. But I guess conspiracy theories are more fun
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

You think computers would be so superior at driving because they don't drink alcohol or take drugs. But computers can have a whole host of other bad things happen to them. They can be hacked, they can malfunction, their circuits could fry, a strong EMP pulse could shut them down, all right in the middle of being driven somewhere. Again, computers will never be able to express human reflexes and intuition on-the-fly. Buck Rogers had the same problem when flying with a fighter squadron to take out some marauders. Their automated targeting computers were crap and so Buck switched to manual and managed to take out all the marauders. Losing some data in a computer crash is one thing, but computers should never be used in a situation where an OS crash could mean that people get seriously hurt or killed. What you call being "afraid" of technology I call exercising a healthy dose of common sense, something that I can see is sorely lacking in modern times.
        ALL of these arguments could apply to modern Aircraft, from Civilian to Military ones.
        Do you think aircraft are more dangerous, or safer due to Avionics?
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Avionics is computer and electronic tech assisting the pilot, and autopilot, of course. But these are there to assist the pilot. There haven't and won't be any time soon airliners that fly without a pilot, which is the push for driverless cars.

Comment

You're ignoring the point. Those computers fail, the plane is going to crash
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              Avionics is computer and electronic tech assisting the pilot, and autopilot, of course. But these are there to assist the pilot. There haven't and won't be any time soon airliners that fly without a pilot, which is the push for driverless cars.
              Actually there WILL be fully automated or remote-controlled airliners just like there already are fully automated trains (I rode one in Nuremberg U-Bahn, got a video from inside what used to be the driver's cabin). It's the obvious future. Once failure rate for the tech is within acceptable parameters (i.e. comparable to error rates of human pilot) and remote control sufficiently reliable, it'll inevitably be the thing.

It would save the airline industry billions upon billions really.
              If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

this reminds me of that drone the US was so proud of & which got h(ij)acked by Iran

man such level of skill must be the envy of the entire hacking community - imagine being able to this to airliners & send Airforce 1 into the ocean with Trump & his minions onboard (wishful thinking)

no doubt IT technologies will be the most popular curriculum in the future

Comment

There's a machine that can beat humans at tennis. I think you are overestimating human reflexes and "misunderestamating" AI reflexes.
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post

There's a machine that can beat humans at tennis. I think you are overestimating human reflexes and "misunderestamating" AI reflexes.
                    You are over thinking it.
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post

still comparing apples to oranges...there are no human lives at stake in a game of tennis (although some human reproductive equipment might be at risk )....there are, however, numerous human lives at stake in the wonderful world of driving a car...are you really gonna trust a machine to be able to run through all its situational algorithms quickly enough to avoid a potentially fatal accident?

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                        Actually there WILL be fully automated or remote-controlled airliners just like there already are fully automated trains (I rode one in Nuremberg U-Bahn, got a video from inside what used to be the driver's cabin). It's the obvious future. Once failure rate for the tech is within acceptable parameters (i.e. comparable to error rates of human pilot) and remote control sufficiently reliable, it'll inevitably be the thing.

It would save the airline industry billions upon billions really.
                        remote control that can be hacked or otherwise shut down or neutralized quite easily....in mid-flight......sounds like a fantastic idea...NOT

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          Why you guys are imaging science fiction doomsday scenarios, I'll be in the real world where the facts contradict your conspiracy theory like how the early evidence suggest the woman was at fault . Or the fact that computers have been in our cars for almost a decade. Or the risk of computer.malfunction iess than the various mechanical things that break down. But I guess conspiracy theories are more fun
                          and evidently living life without regard for the common sense God gave a horsefly is fun for certain people....common sense tells me not to trust a bunch of circuits to not malfunction and avoid a car accident

maybe those sci-fi doomsday scenarios you deride so much are actually warnings about just how much power over us we give to our machines

Comment

So you say. But I haven't met a computer yet that could carry out an autonomic reflexive response and think outside the box on the fly the way a human being can.
                            Not 100% accurate...

Over the past year, IBM has launched an autonomic computing initiative that outlines the four basic tenets that make a system autonomic. They include:
                            • Self-configuring: Adapting to dynamically changing environments
                            • Self-healing: Discovering, diagnosing, and acting to prevent disruptions
                            • Self-optimizing: Tuning resources and balancing workloads to maximize use of IT resources
                            • Self-protecting: Anticipating, detecting, identifying, and protecting against attacks

To date, IBM Software has introduced several products with autonomic capabilities, including a new DB2 database with self-managing and self-tuning features, and numerous Tivoli products that do everything from predict system storage requirements and resource allocation to automagically maximizing system performance and dynamically configure themselves on the fly.

While we may not be all of the way there...we're getting there.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                              Not 100% accurate...

Over the past year, IBM has launched an autonomic computing initiative that outlines the four basic tenets that make a system autonomic. They include:
                              • Self-optimizing: Tuning resources and balancing workloads to maximize use of IT resources
                              • Self-protecting: Anticipating, detecting, identifying, and protecting against attacks

To date, IBM Software has introduced several products with autonomic capabilities, including a new DB2 database with self-managing and self-tuning features, and numerous Tivoli products that do everything from predict system storage requirements and resource allocation to automagically maximizing system performance and dynamically configure themselves on the fly.

I also don't think it's possible ot make a 100% hack-proof computer....and again...I think it's quite reasonable to not want to trust computers that can be hacked (or crash, etc.) to be able to effectively avoid potentially fatal accidents. Those "algorithms" can malfunction at the worst possible times. Trust me....I've been through enough OS crashes and lost enough data due to them to know that I wouldn't wanna trust said computers with a matter of life or death (in this case, avoiding an accident or minimizing the damage due to one)

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                                Not 100% accurate...

And that's my point exactly. Someday, I'm sure that Computers and AI will be able to handle tasks such as driving. But that day is not today.

The public highway system is not the R&D lab for corporate interests. Note the "experimental" designation on all these things. If a corporation wants to develop this tech, let them develop it on their own dime and at their own private facilities.

What about the dead woman? Should she have had to die so that Uber / Volvo could test their experimental device on a public highway?

Comment

Working...
                                X