This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
    They are banking on people, like those judges, not knowing how the internet works.
    Very appropriate choice of words there. Betting on stupidity is almost always a sure thing, and they're planning on riding that stupidity all the way to the bank.

Comment

I'm sorry, but that's a dumb question (unless I am severely overestimating your knowledge of Christianity) and thus deserves a dumb answer.
      lmao...so JC's threatened, his bodyguard draws out his sword to defend him, JC tells him to not to, I ask why, and that's your reply?

(you're totally right in half that statement - it is a dumb answer)

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
        lmao...so JC's threatened, his bodyguard draws out his sword to defend him, JC tells him to not to, I ask why, and that's your reply?

(you're totally right in half that statement - it is a dumb answer)

There's a few old testament prophecies that inform on the events and purposes of different actions of the new testament. This includes Jesus being counted among violent criminals, hence the sword. Not to mention that if disciples go all Maccabees on the crowd, he won't get crucified thus...kinda defeats he purpose of the whole affair. It has little to do with aversion to self defense and more to do with him willing to go to the slaughter like a lamb...which is also prophetic imagery.
        By Nolamom
        sigpic

Comment

There's a few old testament prophecies that inform on the events and purposes of different actions of the new testament. This includes Jesus being counted among violent criminals, hence the sword. Not to mention that if disciples go all Maccabees on the crowd, he won't get crucified thus...kinda defeats he purpose of the whole affair. It has little to do with aversion to self defense and more to do with him willing to go to the slaughter like a lamb...which is also prophetic imagery.
          fine
          though one detail remains, if that incident was part of some greater picture as you say wouldn't Jesus have told his guard something cryptic along the lines of "you have no idea what is necessary & what is not in the grand design"? (I know I'm quoting Anubis but hey this is Gateworld)
          instead he just said "he who lives by the sword dies by the sword" which suggests he disapproved of the guard using his sword even for defence

Comment

Just got done watching the Pierce Brosnen film No Escape about a revolution (BLOODY) in India, where the main cast (owen wilson and company) went to, as part of a company's work on a water reservoir. I am wondering..
            IF something like that DID happen (a company went in and effectively lied to get a work deal, by enslaving the locals, then those locals Revolted killing lots of people, what would the international communities response be?
            What about the US, since in the film the US embassy was attacked, all inside killed then blown up??

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              People ought to be paying attention to this.... The future of the Internet is being debated.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...es-how-it-did/

Here's a sample of the illogical arguments being made:

So, your ISP isn't a telecommunications service? What is it, then? A pig?
              How is it different from phone, really? You also purchase access to wires.

It's not as if there's a way to connect to the Internet without a connecting infrastructure, whether cables or antennae. I'm guessing they're trying to draw a distinction between providers of internet infrastructure and providers of internet services. Comcast vs. Netflix.

My recent observations have led me to conclude that the future of the Internet is increasingly uncertain right now. It's going to increasingly fragment and turn into isolated national networks a-la North Korea.

Much of that has to do with the demands on many countries - China, Russia, Australia, some EU states- that data of their citizens be stored locally. This would mean that any company that collects and stores data in, say, Russia must open a data center in that country. These demands often come bundled with providing that country's police and intelligence services unfettered access to stored data. Another factor is recent assaults on Google and Microsoft in the US, EU and Russia that are pretty much aimed at crushing the free services-based data model. In Russia, the Yandex search engine has won an anti-trust lawsuit against Google over bundling of Google search with Android devices (the whole point of Google handing out Android licenses for free to OEMs and providing free services like Gmail and Google Now is to get you to use their search engine). In Spain, they passed an intellectual property law that demands payment from Google and other news aggregators for displaying preview snippets of books and news articles, which forced Google to shut down Google News in Spain; I guess they expected to milk Google for money, but the actual result was a 10 million Euros loss for Spain's publishers and closure of Spain-based news aggregator companies. In the US, the Manhattan District Court has ordered Microsoft to hand over emails from a drug lord that are stored in their Ireland-based data center servers, and when Microsoft refused on the grounds that US court has no jurisdiction in Ireland, it developed into a major stand-off involving large Internet companies (Verizon, Cisco, Apple etc.) and governments of both the USA and Ireland.

I really wonder if an international message board like Gateworld will even be possible ten years from now. Can you imagine internet limited by national borders?
              If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                I really wonder if an international message board like Gateworld will even be possible ten years from now. Can you imagine internet limited by national borders?
                If GW's still around 10 years from now, we'll know.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

As far as the U.S. goes, the government has been trying to establish precedents for govt. regulation of the Internet for a long time now, using various excuses such as "we have to protect [insert some group name here]". Most attempts have been centered on protecting kids.

Whatever, it doesn't matter. Once the precedent is established, it will be used to eventually allow govt. oversight.

No government is happy with a communication medium that anyone can access and participate in that cannot be controlled.

Comment

It's all about protecting one's privacy -- which you can easily do yourself. However, projects to show children the dangers of the world wide web is something I can get behind. Much like many adults, they don't always consider the consequences of their online presence.

Comment

fine
                      though one detail remains, if that incident was part of some greater picture as you say wouldn't Jesus have told his guard something cryptic along the lines of "you have no idea what is necessary & what is not in the grand design"? (I know I'm quoting Anubis but hey this is Gateworld)
                      instead he just said "he who lives by the sword dies by the sword" which suggests he disapproved of the guard using his sword even for defence
                      First, what guards?
                      By Nolamom
                      sigpic

Comment

First, what guards?
                        "he who lives by the sword dies by the sword"
                        the one(s) to whom he said this ^

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          It's all about protecting one's privacy -- which you can easily do yourself. However, projects to show children the dangers of the world wide web is something I can get behind. Much like many adults, they don't always consider the consequences of their online presence.
                          Online privacy is already a lost battle. The more the world becomes mobile-first, the less possible it will be to maintain any kind of privacy.

Just caught up on Russia news a bit. Apparently they want to ban phone number substitution of the kind that is used by Skype, Viber and WhatsApp to make calls to "regular" phone numbers. This would gut messenger apps' business model and force them to convert their currently-free services to paid subscriptions. Russian mobile operators will apparently launch their own communication apps to replace Skype and other voice calling apps on the Russian market. Similar legislation is being discussed in India.
                          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Online privacy is already a lost battle. The more the world becomes mobile-first, the less possible it will be to maintain any kind of privacy.
                            Something not everyone has accepted yet.

Just caught up on Russia news a bit. Apparently they want to ban phone number substitution of the kind that is used by Skype, Viber and WhatsApp to make calls to "regular" phone numbers. This would gut messenger apps' business model and force them to convert their currently-free services to paid subscriptions. Russian mobile operators will apparently launch their own communication apps to replace Skype and other voice calling apps on the Russian market. Similar legislation is being discussed in India.
                            They can't stay behind, I guess.

Comment

the one(s) to whom he said this ^
                              But they weren't guards...besides, wouldn't guards imply self defense?
                              By Nolamom
                              sigpic

Comment

But they weren't guards...besides, wouldn't guards imply self defense?
                                his bodyguards I meant

Comment

Working...
                                X