Artwork for All - challenges, graphics, tutorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ikorni View Post
    Hyn, that's a gorgeous one and a great tut...how did you find that site?

I'd green you if I could but it says I need to spread some reputation around first...
    Thanks, Ikorni . As I've said, a friend of mine (BM-Shipper ) over there at Livejournal made an awesome couple of icons for a challenge and I asked her how she'd done them, so she gave the Link to me.

*blushes* Thanks lg!

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
    Sig & Avi by Josi
    sigpic
    LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
    I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

Challenge entry - my take on lg's tut.......

Instead of using the eraser or layer mask to cut out the colour fill layer, I used the rectangular marquee tool, interted and then cut - much easier
      Last edited by Jumble; 22 January 2013, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
        Challenge entry - my take on lg's tut.......

<snip>

Instead of using the eraser or layer mask to cut out the colour fill layer, I used the rectangular marquee tool, interted and then cut - much easier
        Gorgeous result!

And I haven't figured out how to manipulate the color fill layer without dealing with the mask, so. . . .Because, when I do a color fill layer, CS2 automatically puts a mask there.

Comment

Originally posted by ladygris View Post
          And that's something that's different for me, so I'm still getting used to it.
          There's quite a lot of different things for you to get used to I noticed in your tut that you kept saying 'open (whatever) image' - I find it easier to have all the images/textures etc in a folder so that I can open them into PS all at once before I start rather than keep going back for each one You just hold down Ctrl and hover over all the images.

Comment

Gorgeous result!

And I haven't figured out how to manipulate the color fill layer without dealing with the mask, so. . . .Because, when I do a color fill layer, CS2 automatically puts a mask there.
            Thanks I put my pot-luck texture over everything and put it on overlay

So does CS3, but you can just ignore it and cut the layer with the marquee tool or whatever

Comment

There's quite a lot of different things for you to get used to I noticed in your tut that you kept saying 'open (whatever) image' - I find it easier to have all the images/textures etc in a folder so that I can open them into PS all at once before I start rather than keep going back for each one You just hold down Ctrl and hover over all the images.
              I think that's actually a hold-over from Gimp, not to mention that I already have all my images separated into folders on my computer. To put them all in one folder when I don't know what I'll be needing at any time wouldn't really serve any purpose. This wallie, especially, was one of those where it was missing something, so I went browsing through my stock images and textures.

Thanks I put my pot-luck texture over everything and put it on overlay

So does CS3, but you can just ignore it and cut the layer with the marquee tool or whatever
              And I haven't figured out how to ignore the mask and cut the layer. I tried, and it didn't work.

Comment

I think that's actually a hold-over from Gimp, not to mention that I already have all my images separated into folders on my computer. To put them all in one folder when I don't know what I'll be needing at any time wouldn't really serve any purpose. This wallie, especially, was one of those where it was missing something, so I went browsing through my stock images and textures.
                Ah, we all have our own favourite methods Definitely for a tutorial I find it easier to download everything I need (like from your tut) into one folder. I often fish around my pc for pics/textures etc and dump them into a folder if I've got an idea of what I want to do rather than fishing for them once PS is open. Horses for courses

And I haven't figured out how to ignore the mask and cut the layer. I tried, and it didn't work.
                Right-click the layer mask and delete it

Comment

Ah, we all have our own favourite methods Definitely for a tutorial I find it easier to download everything I need (like from your tut) into one folder. I often fish around my pc for pics/textures etc and dump them into a folder if I've got an idea of what I want to do rather than fishing for them once PS is open. Horses for courses

Right-click the layer mask and delete it
                  I tried that, but it won't let me manipulate the color fill layer. Says something about it being a bounded rectangle or some such thing.

Comment

Awesome art!

lg: Thanks for the tut, I'm planning on using it soon

Here is another challenge entry:

sigpic
                    Icon and Sig by me.

Comment

I tried that, but it won't let me manipulate the color fill layer. Says something about it being a bounded rectangle or some such thing.
                      That's weird What happens if you try to use your eraser on that layer? For me, it works as long as I've clicked the coloured rectangle rather than the layer mask.

Or, if the layer is bounded, try duplicating the layer, hiding the first one, and then deleting the layer mask from the duplicate.

Comment

You're welcome, yami. I look forward to what you'll do with it.

That's weird What happens if you try to use your eraser on that layer? For me, it works as long as I've clicked the coloured rectangle rather than the layer mask.

Or, if the layer is bounded, try duplicating the layer, hiding the first one, and then deleting the layer mask from the duplicate.
                        If I try to use my eraser on the layer, it doesn't work. I have to paint the layer mask with black.

I hadn't tried duplicating the color layer because, honestly, painting the mask worked! I'm lazy that way.

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                          Could I please ask that we keep negative/critical comments about particular actors/directors/shows/whatever off the thread, whether related to artwork or not? Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but having such discussions on here strays into endangering rule number one of this thread - that "all art is welcome" no matter the subject. We'd hate for anyone to think twice about posting something they'd made because they've seen critical comments about the person/show they're a fan of from other thread members in here.

Thank you.

And now back to your regularly scheduled artwork
                          I'm so sorry! Gosh, I hadn't realized...I/we meant no offense to anyone or anyone's fans! Again, sorry for the OTness.

Originally posted by Hyndara71 View Post
                          josi, sorry for the OT *iz ashamed*. I try to stay focused on the art.
                          We are bad girls Hyn.

Talking 'bout art ... a friend of mine made me aware of an icon-Tut-comm at LJ. Don't know if anyone of you knew that before. I decided to give another Tut a try - well, somehow. Using a Tut for an icon on a WP was ... uhm funny and at one time I simply stopped and finished it on my own. But somehow ... I like the result:

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/a...mwphyn1311.jpg
                          The Tut I somehow used is this one.
                          And instead of the textures this artist used I used the challenge-textures 11 and 13, so - challenge entry
                          Love this!

Another challenge entry, played with it all night last night and not too happy with the results...

I used two challenge textures as well as one or two from my own collection.
                          Last edited by RodneyIsGodney; 22 January 2013, 06:33 AM.
                          sigpic
                          Sig by ME.

Comment

Love the purple profile effect on the left of her head. Did you just use a brush or some other effects?

We all have our favorite and least favorite shows, movies, actors, writers, directors etc. I think it's okay to say what you do or don't like, as long as there are no personalities involved. Saying "I hate SGU" is IMO okay, especially if you manage to say something nice about some SGU art someone else's posted on this thread at the same time. Saying "I think you're an idiot because you like SGU" isn't okay... Just my 2 cents... I hope nobody here hesitates to post their art because someone's said they don't like one of your favorite shows or actors or whatever.
                            sigpic

Comment

If I try to use my eraser on the layer, it doesn't work. I have to paint the layer mask with black.

I hadn't tried duplicating the color layer because, honestly, painting the mask worked! I'm lazy that way.
                              That's weird. Dumb question, but before trying the eraser you did click on the layer thumbnail rather than the layer mask thumbnail didn't you? I've been googling and everything I've seen says you should be able to remove the layer mask in CS2 the same as in CS3

Comment

That's weird. Dumb question, but before trying the eraser you did click on the layer thumbnail rather than the layer mask thumbnail didn't you? I've been googling and everything I've seen says you should be able to remove the layer mask in CS2 the same as in CS3
                                Um. . . .Not sure what you mean?

Comment

Working...
                                X