Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the UK not have "compulsory voting"?
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Nope.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
        Nope.
        Hmm, I wonder why we do then??
        sigpic

Comment

Dunno. We don't have mandatory voting either.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            Hmm, I wonder why we do then??
            No idea.
            I dont think its right anyway. No one has the right to force me to vote for anyone i dont want to. And i dont like any of them. I'll vote when i find someone worth voting for, and wont waste a vote on some random independent or no chancer party for the sake of turnout numbers or "protest".
            If they want a higher turn out, then they have find a way to restore peoples faith in the system, in parliament and so on.
            sigpic

Comment

No idea.
              I dont think its right anyway. No one has the right to force me to vote for anyone i dont want to. And i dont like any of them. I'll vote when i find someone worth voting for, and wont waste a vote on some random independent or no chancer party for the sake of turnout numbers or "protest".
              If they want a higher turn out, then they have find a way to restore peoples faith in the system, in parliament and so on.
              I would not be against compulsory voting as long as there was a "none of the above" option on the ballot, and people could be waived from paying a fine if a satisfactory reason is given.
              If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
              Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
              If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
              Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

I live in Oregon and our democrat primary is coming up. I got out my ballot and I voted for Obama. That is the only friggin name I knew. Half the nominee's for my county on my ballot was "no candidate filed" or one person I never heard of. I just felt like what's the point.
                Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

No idea.
                  I assume you guys in the UK are like us however, you don't *really* vote for anyone, but parties instead?
                  "throwing the vote" is, I believe, fairly common out here because of mandatory voting, but at least no one can say they did not know or were not given the chance to "have thier say".
                  Fair call.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                    I would not be against compulsory voting as long as there was a "none of the above" option on the ballot, and people could be waived from paying a fine if a satisfactory reason is given.
                    None of the above is just a waste though. If you're gonna vote for no one, there is no point in voting really. The government dont get to increase turn out by forcing people to vote, or tick the "no one" box, by threatening fines and such. I think its crap (i had a stronger word).
                    If they want a bigger turn out, then they need to put the work in, they need to earn it.
                    sigpic

Comment

I assume you guys in the UK are like us however, you don't *really* vote for anyone, but parties instead?
                      "throwing the vote" is, I believe, fairly common out here because of mandatory voting, but at least no one can say they did not know or were not given the chance to "have thier say".

Fair call.
                      We vote or parties, like Labour, Conservatives, Greens. The parties, i believe, are the ones who elect their leaders.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post
                        I live in Oregon and our democrat primary is coming up. I got out my ballot and I voted for Obama. That is the only friggin name I knew. Half the nominee's for my county on my ballot was "no candidate filed" or one person I never heard of. I just felt like what's the point.
                        Obama is better than Mittens.

None of the above is just a waste though. If you're gonna vote for no one, there is no point in voting really. The government dont get increase turn out by forcing people to vote, or tick the "no one" box, by threatening fines and such. I think its crap (i had a stronger word).
                        If they want a bigger turn out, then they need to put the work in, they need to earn it.
                        Oh, it's definitely a wasted vote. I'm just saying that if a person is forced to vote, they should be allowed to conscientiously object to all the candidates if they so please. It can also be used as a form of protest against the election.
                        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

We vote or parties, like Labour, Conservatives, Greens. The parties, i believe, are the ones who elect their leaders.
                          Well, technically, there are people on the ballot. It's not like Israel, where they actually vote for the party Kadima or Meretz, and the party has a list of members that will enter the Knesset according to percentage. You vote for people using First Past the Post. I would say that people vote for the person representing the Conservatives or Greens, not because they know the person's individual platform particularly well, but because they know the party platform.

sigpic

Comment

I think legacy Britain parliaments all generally function the same. Vote for your local MP, whoever's party has the most MP seats at the end of the election controls the federal government. At least, that's how it works in Canada.

Not a compelling reason to force voting...
                            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                              I think legacy Britain parliaments all generally function the same. Vote for your local MP, whoever's party has the most MP seats at the end of the election controls the federal government. At least, that's how it works in Canada.

Not a compelling reason to force voting...
                              Australia has an elected upper house. :/ Heck, members of the House of Lords are elected, in a roundabout sort of way.

sigpic

Comment

Obama is better than Mittens.

Oh, it's definitely a wasted vote. I'm just saying that if a person is forced to vote, they should be allowed to conscientiously object to all the candidates if they so please. It can also be used as a form of protest against the election.
                                [ ] Labour.
                                [ ] Conservative.
                                [ ] Lib Dems.
                                [ ] Greens.
                                [ ] Force me to vote again, and i'll vote for the nut cases.
                                [ ] Kaboom.

Well, technically, there are people on the ballot. It's not like Israel, where they actually vote for the party Kadima or Meretz, and the party has a list of members that will enter the Knesset according to percentage. You vote for people using First Past the Post. I would say that people vote for the person representing the Conservatives or Greens, not because they know the person's individual platform particularly well, but because they know the party platform.
                                We do elect local representatives. But in the big elections, we vote for the party, well, i think we're supposed too, but its all about the leader. This is all confusing and boring. I want to return to the days of absolute monarchy. At least then you knew who to blame when things went tits up. Plus, i like the queen.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X