This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    Did you not read where I wrote (with electronic locks that can be opened from a central location in case of fire or such)? In an emergency, the school admin can unlock all the exits instantly.
    What about a lock that cannot be opened from either inside
    even gr8er - just shoot the admin first & lock up everyone else inside for easy picking

that's your 2nd brilliant idea of today. any more?
    come on 3rd time is the charm
    lol

Comment

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-2...actors/9471638

So yeah this Republican guy claimed some of the victims of the shooting were actors........ Then gets fired for being a dumb dumb.
      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

I've not read the article but is he making reference to 'Crisis Actors' by any chance? That's a popular conspiracy theory within the flat earth/chemtrails/strawman/false flag 'alternative news' nutters.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
          Then you do what my sons school did and make it impossible to find other ways into the building. If you didn't know it was a school you might mistake it for a prison the fences are so high, there is one entrance, and one alone for the 1500 students, and we don't even have a gun problem.

In response to the post above, every external door is alarmed with cctv, security know within seconds of a fire door being opened who opened it and who went through/came in.

It's not rocket science to prevent firearms and things like knives from being bought on to the premises, if schools, theme parks and pubs in the UK can achieve it, you can too.
          As I told Annoyed...if you want to this for a school district with 230 schools and approximately 157,00 students...go ahead and send the money. My campus alone has almost 5000 students and various buildings on campus.

What about a lock that cannot be opened from either inside or outside without either a key or the lock being released from a central location in case of emergency? We already employ similar devices to keep fire doors open except in case of fire, the magnetic locks release to allow the fire doors to close to hinder the spread of the fire. The tech. is on the shelf.

Don't try to tell me that they can't lock a building down. they do it every day. A local education cooperative operates a school for juvenile delinquents. From the outside, that facility looks more like a prison than a school. But you can bet no one gets in or out w/out the administration's knowledge.

But its expedient to try to use a school shooting to advance an anti-gun agenda which won't do a damned bit of good even if it was able to be put through, isn't it?
          Again, if you want to fund electronic locks for a school district with 230 schools and approximately 157,00 students...go ahead and send the money. When doors are locked on this campus they are inaccessible from the outside. That is the way most of the campuses are in my district. I can't speak for all campuses as I've only worked on a visited approximately 10 campuses out of 230.

Yesterday, we did have a lock down on my campus. All doors are locked, but that doesn't prevent someone inside of the building from getting out nor does it prevent someone inside of a room on campus from getting out of the room he/she is in. We went into lock down due to a threatening note found in one of the restrooms. After security swept campus, we were allowed to go to the last period of the day but remained on a limited lock down to keep unnecessary movement in the halls to a minimum. All after school activities were cancelled for the day.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
            As I told Annoyed...if you want to this for a school district with 230 schools and approximately 157,00 students...go ahead and send the money. My campus alone has almost 5000 students and various buildings on campus.

Again, if you want to fund electronic locks for a school district with 230 schools and approximately 157,00 students...go ahead and send the money. When doors are locked on this campus they are inaccessible from the outside. That is the way most of the campuses are in my district. I can't speak for all campuses as I've only worked on a visited approximately 10 campuses out of 230.
            I'm sure they can afford it, it's just a matter of spending priorities. There is a lot of "fat" in any large school district that can be cut in austerity budgets; after school sports and other optional programs. I ain't buyin that excuse.

Comment

I'm sure they can afford it, it's just a matter of spending priorities. There is a lot of "fat" in any large school district that can be cut in austerity budgets; after school sports and other optional programs. I ain't buyin that excuse.
              It is not an excuse...it is fact. We're currently in the process of updating/replacing buildings. Given our tax base, we are considered a wealthy district and have funds taken from us under the Robin Hood Plan. My campus was supposed to get an addition to remove portable classrooms that are 20+ years old. However, another campus was deemed more in need by the school board. And you would be surprised how underfunded athletics programs are in my district. Even districts that are genuinely wealthy, such as Plano and Frisco Independent School Districts charge their students participation fees for participating in band, athletics, and various other activities. So, until you log hours as a school district employee...leave the commenting to those who've put in their time in the classroom and know what's going on.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-2...actors/9471638

So yeah this Republican guy claimed some of the victims of the shooting were actors........ Then gets fired for being a dumb dumb.
                I've not read the article but is he making reference to 'Crisis Actors' by any chance? That's a popular conspiracy theory within the flat earth/chemtrails/strawman/false flag 'alternative news' nutters.
                Yup.
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Really?
                  So what do you think the priorities should be?
                  And why exceptions in an austerity budget?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                    Really?
                    So what do you think the priorities should be?
                    And why exceptions in an austerity budget?
                    Well, keeping the students from getting shot ought to be a higher priority than after school sports and activities. If they're dead, they can't even go to classes.

I can't speak for Texas, but in NY, aside from the 5 major liberal centers (read: large cities) the school boards have to present their budgets to the voters, who can approve or deny. If denied, the school district is required to adopt an austerity budget, stripped of all non-essential items. Very often, after school sports/activities are cut in such a budget, along with other items.

They can use the same cuts to finance building security if needed. But in reality, physical plant is a very small drop in the bucket for a large school system's budget. So I doubt even that would be needed.

edit: Locally, plant is about 2 million of a 124 million budget.
                    Last edited by Annoyed; 22 February 2018, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Yup. Another right-wing war on reality.

Comment

Well, keeping the students from getting shot ought to be a higher priority than after school sports and activities. If they're dead, they can't even go to classes.

I can't speak for Texas, but in NY, aside from the 5 major liberal centers (read: large cities) the school boards have to present their budgets to the voters, who can approve or deny. If denied, the school district is required to adopt an austerity budget, stripped of all non-essential items. Very often, after school sports/activities are cut in such a budget, along with other items.

They can use the same cuts to finance building security if needed. But in reality, physical plant is a very small drop in the bucket for a large school system's budget. So I doubt even that would be needed.

edit: Locally, plant is about 2 million of a 124 million budget.
                        What is "plant"
                        sigpic

Comment

What is "plant"
                          Building & Grounds, physical plant

Comment

What is "plant"

Building & Grounds, physical plant
                            Expanded details----
                            Factory, (building & grounds) facility, mill... where manufactured residential/commercial, consumer items (vehicles, tools, furniture, household goods) or food things are processed, built, or made, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                              Expanded details----
                              Factory, (building & grounds) facility, mill... where manufactured residential/commercial, consumer items (vehicles, tools, furniture, household goods) or food things are processed, built, or made, etc.
                              All better words than "plant"
                              Best one would have been the one the actual teacher used, Campus.
                              sigpic

Comment

For us ozzies.

Barnaby Joyce just announced his resignation.
                                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X