Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Series of Unfortunate Events (spoilers for The End)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Series of Unfortunate Events (spoilers for The End)

I finally got around to reading the last book in this dreary, dreadful, dramatic series and I gotta say... I feel a bit let down.

Granted, some of the shine wore off several books back, but I was still looking forward to whatever kind of morose conclusion Snicket would dream up and, well, in all of my wildest imaginings I never pictured anything quite like that. The books are never quite as dismal as the author warns, but having the kids (with baby in tow) set off for life in the Dangerous World and killing off Count Olaf was just too... too... perfect. Too clean. It's something that a generic author would write. And with that whole ridiculous "in the dark in the dark, but not in the dark..." stuff Snicket is anything but generic.

Maybe the series got away from him or something. Or he became too enamored of spinning elaborate convolutions and got away from the center of it all, but I can't help feeling a bit gypped. Yes, I know there had to be SOME kind of ending and no, it wasn't exactly happy, but it wasn't exactly good, either. At least not in my opinion.

I loved the set-up of the island where all things eventually wash ashore and I really wish he'd played more with that idea because there was a lot of potential in that. *shrug* Maybe more would have tipped the balance, but the whole thing with Kit Snicket and Count Olaf and the birthing of the baby was just a bit ridiculous- even in a series as outlandish as this one.

There's also the fact that after thirteen books there's a lot to remember and some of the details have gone a bit blurry in spite of the long rambling expositions attempting to bring everyone back up to speed. Those just annoyed the snot out of me.

And yet... I'm still gonna have to get the Beatrice Letters just because I still hold this fool hope that somehow it'll all make sense. Or as much sense as the series ever makes. WTF is with the Beatrice thing, anyway? What is she to Lemony? And Lemony to her?

I'm not reading the series over again, that's for sure. But I may have to review a few things.

What did everyone else think of the ending? From what I've seen, reaction is decidedly mixed...
Working...
X