This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter

Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter has just succeded in its planetary injection. Congratulations to Jet Propulsion Laboratory which was conducting the maneuvre. With this success, six ships are currently active on and around Mars:

Mars Global Surveyor (USA, 1996, orbiter)
    Mars Odyssey (USA, 2001, orbiter)
    Spirit (USA, 2003, lander)
    Opportunity (USA, 2003, lander)
    Mars Express (European Union, 2004, orbiter)
    Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (USA, 2006, orbiter)

Next planetary injection will be European spacecraft "Venus Express" around Venus in April 11th 2006.
    Please forgive my English, I'm French

"The act itself never varies. But each kiss carries with it a meaning all its own. It can convey a husband's eternal devotion... Or a wife's enormous regret... It can symbolize a mother's growing concern... Or a lover's growing passion... But whatever its meaning, each kiss reflects a basic human need; the need to connect to another human being. This desire is so strong it's always amazing when some people don’t understand it." Desperate Housewives, "One more kiss"

Didn't spirit and/or oppertunity like crash horrificly?

Comment

Originally posted by gatelover12
      Spirit and Opportunity? The mars Rovers? You mean the ones sending back amazing images of the Martian surface? Yep...horrific crash of carnage

I think you may be thinking of the British Beagle2 carried by ESA which vanished/crashed on mars

Well done to jpl for the orbiter
      It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

I'm thinking of a US thing for sure, it was probably a few years back. I think it was an orbiter?

Comment

I'm thinking of a US thing for sure, it was probably a few years back. I think it was an orbiter?
          I know what you're thinking of. I forget their names, but it was the polar probes that were supposed to search for water/life.

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
            I know what you're thinking of. I forget their names, but it was the polar probes that were supposed to search for water/life.
            Thank you! Them.

Comment

I think you're talking about Mars Polar Lander and Mars Climate Orbiter.

Mars Climate Orbiter was launched on December 11th 1998. It arrived to Mars on September 23rd 1999. Some calculation mistakes (american unit vs metric units) made the ship to fly over Mars at an altitude of 57 km (the minimum altitude is 85 km). The ship burned in the atmosphere.

Mars Polar Lander was launched on January 3rd 1999. It arrived to Mars on December 3rd 1999. The atmospheric entry was good, but when the landing gear deployed, the accelerometers believed that the ship was on the ground and shut down the engine. The ship fell from an altitude of 40 meters and was destroyed.
              Please forgive my English, I'm French

"The act itself never varies. But each kiss carries with it a meaning all its own. It can convey a husband's eternal devotion... Or a wife's enormous regret... It can symbolize a mother's growing concern... Or a lover's growing passion... But whatever its meaning, each kiss reflects a basic human need; the need to connect to another human being. This desire is so strong it's always amazing when some people don’t understand it." Desperate Housewives, "One more kiss"

Comment

Yeps *gives green*

Comment

Well this is good news for space exploration. Now we just need to find high grade deposits of a rare ore on Deimos or Phobos and we're set to begin space mining!
                  Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                  The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                  I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                  A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                  That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                  Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                  Caboose: They could be worse?
                  Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Pamplemousse of France
                    Mars Climate Orbiter was launched on December 11th 1998. It arrived to Mars on September 23rd 1999. Some calculation mistakes (american unit vs metric units) made the ship to fly over Mars at an altitude of 57 km (the minimum altitude is 85 km). The ship burned in the atmosphere.
                    Ha ha, what a mistake to make *giggles*
                    Ses
                    James Lafazanos - Good for a Laf

Comment

You must be thinking of a different probe that failed to land properly (i think it was the one before Opportunity and Spirit - I'm probably wrong).

Comment

Beagle dissappeared, but apparently they've found it inside a crater.
                        sigpic
                        Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
                          Beagle dissappeared, but apparently they've found it inside a crater.
                          Because thats where the aliens put it
                          Ses
                          James Lafazanos - Good for a Laf

Comment

ooooh k;

there's been quite a few 'Missions to Mars' and it seems quite a few of them have not gone so well.... and you seem to be referring to...
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Surveyor_1998 which carried polar landers...

Originally posted by Ses
                            Because thats where the aliens put it
                            Frankly!, thats just silly! ...aliens moving the Beagle2.....pfffft!
                            We ALL know that the aliens don't have time for such trival matters...not while they have to keep the solar panels on Spirit/Opportunity dust-free
                            It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

you know by the time we finish sending all these probes to mars and finally step foot the planet will be a barren wastelend littered with rubbish, junk metal and carnage spread all over, a mass cleanup operation will be needed before man lives there lol!!!!!!!!!
                              For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Working...
                              X