This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateGipsy
    This is an interesting idea guys, but the spoiler rules aren't going to change for GateWorld. That said, I believe Darren is putting something about sigs in there - but that should have been taken as given anyway. Anything in a post - name, message, sig - counts the same.
    Hi there GateGipsy!

Don't think many of the others are online so I'll reply to you (tho I should be sleeping lol).

For the record, we don't want to change any of the forum rules. We love the spoiler rules...we really do

It's cool that there might be a specific bit added about sigs, but other than that, I think they are simple, straightforward and easy to follow. And most importantly, they get the job done when used correctly. If pain persists...see your mod.

When it comes to 'policing' the forum though, that is a job you should leave up to the mods. It is our responsibility to ensure that the rules are kept to, and to mod posters when they're not. If you see a spoiler infringement then report it to a mod - please don't take matters into your own hands. Cheers.
    We have no intention of becoming big nasty spoiler-enforcement-ogres. We just figured it was mean and nasty to report posts to mods (I know I wouldn't like lots of my posts being reported), which is why we were gonna opt for the PM thing.

But if using the little exclamation mark is the perferred option, I'm sure that's no problem. We shall comply and we shall die spoiler free...

Question about the 'report bad post' feature though (I've only used it once)...is it supposed to be reserved for really *serious* breaking of forum rules - something I find personally offensive, or something that spoiled me badly for an ep - or can it be used to draw mods attention to something that isn't fate of the universe stuff? e.g an attempt to use spoiler space, but no indication of the season or epiode or any other context.

I just feel like I'd be jumping the gun a bit and that that if I reported every single spoiler issue I came across, I'd become a serial-pest to all you mods real quick. Then again, I haven't been commenting on every case of spoiler misuse thus far as it is (who has the time?).

I would *hope* that we haven't gotten up too many people's noses thus far, particularly since lately we have had *less* cause to moan and groan about spoilers. Or at least I have.

So, to clarify...

We can still moan and groan on our lovely spoiler-free SFA thread right?

We can still report posts that forget to use spoiler space to the mods (mean and nasty as we may feel)?

Does this mean we can't comment about spoilers *at all* in a thread where caution has been thrown to the wind? Coz I see people complaining all the time...(not just us at all).

And we can keep our sigs since they certainly aren't directed at individuals...right?

Anyway, thanks for popping in and giving your/the mods take on it.

Comment

Oooh one more question.

If we feel too nasty constantly reporting 'bad posts' to the mods for lack of spoiler space but we do actually get spoiled for an ep and want to say something, is it a more acceptable option to PM a mod and ask them to handle it that way?

Or do PM's just get annoying for you guys?

Comment

Report any post you see that is breaking the rules, it isn't just for extreme violations. We're not physically capable of catching each and every instance! It also helps to see if someone is constantly breaking a particular rule - when that happens they go on moderation (that is, the posts have to be approved by a mod before they'll appear in public).

It isn't annoying to us at all - that's our job. That said, I might not check every reported post - for instance, I've been away on holiday for a week so I simply wiped my inbox clear. I figure anything more than a day old will have been taken care of!

You can still moan to your hearts content about spoilers!

If you spot a spoiler do let us know. Remember that not all eps require spoiler space. If you do report a spoiler violation could you, when you report it, not just tell us that it's a spoiler but perhaps what it is for too (presuming you know this) ie S8 or Atlantis etc. This just helps the mod save a bit of time (it is pretty time consuming this job!).

You can keep your sigs as long as they're within forum rules and don't conatin any spoilers!
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks a bunch for the clarifications, GateGipsy!

I don't want to squash any discussion. I've been using the "Report a Bad Post" feature, but I wasn't sure as technically they'are not "bad" posts...just spoiled ones. I understand now that all the Mods get an email when "Report A Bad Post" is used and the first one to deal with it, wins! (Although I still think you deserve a cookie or something for being first.) I'll stick to "Report A Bad Post" from now on.

Thanks again!
          Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
          O'Neill: Who doesn't?
          - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
          - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
          once done, cannot be undone...
          brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Thanks Gipsy!

That won't be a problem at all. In fact, I think we'll ammend our official SFA guidlines in accordance. Although we'll have to wait for our General, Jafana to do that, since she is the founding member and has post-editing rights.

Notice how she's never around when needed??
            Nooo, her poor, hardworking, long-suffering Jaffa has to do all the hard work. But I suppose that's what first primes are for

Thanks again for swinging by - drop in whenever you like. We're very friendly! Mostly.

Comment

In case you fellow SFA-ers check here first, beware the SG-1 thread for "Zero Hour". New information released today about upcoming eps.

Added a line to my sig: "once done, cannot be undone..."
              Last edited by Anthro Girl; 02 August 2004, 07:32 PM.
              Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
              O'Neill: Who doesn't?
              - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
              - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
              once done, cannot be undone...
              brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
                Added a line to my sig: "once done, cannot be undone..."
                Unless you edit your post before anyone sees.
                Rocky

Comment

The work never ends around here.
                  Luckily for the most part I can fob it off to one of my minions. Yay!

anyway.. I'll go edit the SFA rules.

I'm glad we're allowed to keep up the SFA though We're generally a nice bunch.

When we want to be.

Comment

Alrighty, it's all done.
                    Yay me.

We have brand spankin new rules now.

well.....improved anyway.

Enjoy you spoiler free forum conversations! yay!

Ohhhh, and I watched Lockdown last night - while the spoilers were annoying, I still enjoyed the ep.
                    Although I would have liked to have figured the problem out for myself.

Comment

Well done Jafana

Now that matter is sorted out, I suppose it is business as usual for us SFA'ers.

Comment

Attention all SFA members:

As those of you who have been checking the 'Ask a Mod' thread will know, there have been a few clarifications made about spoilers recently. So I thought it might be time to let everyone know again exactly what constitutes a spoiler (as we see it), and what we do about it (hopefully the mods won't mind me paraphrasing for our purposes):

1. Any post in any thread in any folder needs spoiler space for seasons not yet aired in syndication - unless the Thread title explicitly states there are spoilers for that episode and season.
                        2. A thread about Season 8 does not need spoilers for season 6/7. Therefore we cannot (and shouldn't desire to) report people for posting about Full Circle in the Lockdown thread and so on. It is assumed people interested in season 8 are familiar with the earlier seasons.
                        3. Yes, spoilers in sigs do qualify. They are part of that post. But just because the sig is inspired by a current season, doesn't necessarily make it a spoiler
                        4. Incorrect spoiler space also warrants reporting, but only when it falls short of the rules, not when it exceeds them. So a spoiler warning with no episode or season details qualifies, but one with an unecessary spoiler warning should be left in peace. Some people are just cautious

So, if you do come across something that constitues a spoiler, use the little *!* in the top right corner of the post to let a mod know. And please tell the mod exactly what the spoiler is for, to make it easier to find. I'm not sure whether the 'report bad post' feature gives the mods a direct link to the thread, but telling them the post number also wouldn't hurt. The easier we can make it the better.

And finally, please *do not* specifically address the person posting the spoiler and ask them to edit their post.

If we all remember these guidelines (and feel free to suggest more or contradict me), then the SFA should be up and running and making a difference for a while to come.

Comment

Oky I'm becoming Spoiler free right now, and my sig is a quote from Atlantis....do I qualify for SFA ?!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie
                            Oky I'm becoming Spoiler free right now, and my sig is a quote from Atlantis....do I qualify for SFA ?!!!
                            Hi Newbie!

First of all, welcome to our little thread You are most welcome to join our cause, but your sig *might* be a small issue (but nothing that can't be resolved, don't worry).

We are basically a bunch of people who got together because we got very frustrated by getting spoiled for episodes we hadn't seen all the time. The reason we got together is to whine about it amongst ourselves, and to be proactive about it by reminding people to use spoiler space via our sigs.

In my opinion, your sig is *very* borderline. It is a direct quote from an episode that has not aired in syndication, and that many people have not yet seen (and a sig can be seen in any thread you have ever posted in so it pays to be especially cautious with them).

However, I'm all for tolerance and stuff and far be it from me to disallow someone from joining us if they essentially have the same intentions as we do.

So, what I suggest is that you check out the spoiler rules if you haven't already done so (they are kinda our bible lol).

As for your sig...since it is so border line, I think you should ask a mod about it. They are the only ones that can tell you whether it is acceptable or not, and they may not have seen it yet. Your sig doesn't give away plot details, so it may actually be fine.

You can also take a look at this post from ShipperAhoy addressing a question about spoilers in sigs (in the ask a mod thread).

If you ask a mod and they are fine with it, then I am most definitely fine with it!

So just let us know if you still want in and what a mod said (try private messaging one or try the 'ask a mod' thread above, but that might take a bit longer).

Hope to see you back here Newbie! Newbies are always welcome
                            Last edited by SaharaGate; 03 August 2004, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Um... newbie, I'm not quite sure if you've gotten the whole concept of the SFA - We're trying to avoid spoilers...not broardcast them around the forum.

And speaking of which - your sig is boarderline spoilery. I would suggest you ask a mod about it. It doesn't really give any huge info away..but I would still consider it a spoiler.

But sure, you're more than welcome to become a member of the SFA, but I would be wary of putting anything from season 7,8 or Atlantis into your sig - as they are generally considered the spoilable seasons.

refer to SaharaGate's above post about what you need to do to become a member. welcome aboard though.
                              Last edited by Jafana; 03 August 2004, 12:46 AM. Reason: because im mean and nasty evidently.

Comment

I'm sad... there's all this hoo-har going on about Threads. and people keep letting stuff out of the bag. but nothing major - otherwise I would literally run screaming out of the room, and also have a major tantrum!

but this is what i know so far:
                                Caution - spoilerish type info for Threads - Season 8, lots of speculation based on those spoilerificnesses (i love making up words!) and then speculation on the hoo-har about affinity. I've not actually seen any of these spoilers so, they're only spoilerish - I've you've read Shadow's Sulky thread recently, it's based on what I've learned there
                                Ok, so evidently there's some hoo-har about the shippyness of Affinity and Threads - what I know is that Affinity is Sam/Pete stuff, which due to the resulting madness in shipperville, I'm beginning to think its a step up for their relationship. something like moving in together maybe?
                                SaharaGate knows..but has kindly stayed quiet.

and so now, with this massive badness resulting from the spoilers released about Threads we know: sam/pete, sam/jack and then someone else. (there was mention of a love square?? on shadow's thread.)
                                END OF SPOILERS

ok, so my question is, do you think that we'll be able to avoid these spoilers, right up until the ep airs?? or are we asking too much?
                                Considering how much we actually know already, and technically they're not spoilers, how hard is it going to be to actually avoid them? for 12 more episodes? actually, including the mid season break, we're looking at a lengthy period of time!

Or do you think it will die down a bit?

Comment

Working...
                                X