Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, I add extra spoiler space a lot, even if there's a spoiler warning in the title, or if it's about the first couple of seasons. I like to be cautious, but I don't do it all of the time. I still slip up occasionally.

I see nothing wrong with extra spoiler space, it doesn't inhibit my reading experience, I just ignore it and hardly notice it's there.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
      No, I add extra spoiler space a lot, even if there's a spoiler warning in the title, or if it's about the first couple of seasons. I like to be cautious, but I don't do it all of the time. I still slip up occasionally.

I see nothing wrong with extra spoiler space, it doesn't inhibit my reading experience, I just ignore it and hardly notice it's there.
      I'm guilty of that on occassion too...putting in spoiler space in a thread that already has a spoiler warning in the title - just in case.

But I do think it would get annoying to have people do the following:

SPOILERS! Season 1, episode 1 Children of the Gods
      Highlight to read:

Powerful aliens come through Earth's Stargate. Colonel Jack O'Neill returns to Abydos to retrieve Daniel Jackson, who has discovered a map of Stargates revealing that the alien transit system includes much more than the two planets.

The Stargate program is reactivated to determine the nature of this new threat, and how to eliminate it.

(courtesy of Gateworld)\

See? That's annoying.

But I don't think this happens often. I'm far more bothered by the absence of spoiler space than I am by it's over-use.

Comment

There is a feature available to vBulletin that allows for a spoiler box. I've seen it on some other forums and people have suggested it here. However, I think it requires some programming work on the Admin side.
        Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
        O'Neill: Who doesn't?
        - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
        - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
        once done, cannot be undone...
        brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Actually, I think everything has already been covered.

1. We are only militant about the forum rules.
          2. We are in no way against spoilers. Just about not indicating them.

I think by changing the rules at this point would simply be confusing.

But I disagree about your suggestion for the general discussion thread to not have spoiler space. That is one place that it's imperative that you have spoiler space.

Because there is discussion on every single season, including those being shown now, almost everyone looks at it.
          If that whole folder was offlimits to those who wish to avoid spoilers, that's really quite unfair.
          We want to be able to discuss the episodes we have seen. But still remain unspoiled for those we haven't.

Which is why we're so concerned about the correct way of indicating the spoilers. We need to know what episode so that we can know instantly if we can read what is written in the spoiler space.

Basically, to be fair and consistant you need spoiler space for seasons 6, 7, 8 and Atlantis where ever you might be in the forum. Which includes any new species, characters, events or issues brought up in those seasons.

The spoilers given out by tptb are a different matter. Things like
          Spoilers season 8, New order.
          Jack and Sam's promotions etc.
          are a little harder to keep quiet... and are generally considered to be common knowledge.

But when people use spoiler space for them, they're just trying to be considerate of other people, which to me is more than ok.
          Last edited by Jafana; 01 August 2004, 07:25 PM. Reason: to insert spoiler space dammit! why do i never learn!!!

Comment

I Die Spolier Free!!!!!

That being said, can I be Sgt-at-Arms?

Spoiler Space
            ****** USE IT *******
            SFA rank - Sgt-At-Arms

To find out more vist the FAQ

Cry havoc, and let slip the dogma of war!

Comment

My current peeve is with vague thread titles, i.e.

"How about........."

and when you open it you find a thread loaded with spoilers for S8 or Atlantis.
              If the magic words "Spoliers Season 8" or "Atlantis" had been added then not only would those who don't want spoilers be caught out, but it would be clear that the thread contained spoilers, and spoiler space in individual posts would not be required.

Sorry about the rant, but I got caught out recently in General, and it really annoyed me.

BTW, the cake was lovely. Really moist and rich.
              Were the flowers edible? 'Cos I ate them.
              Last edited by SeaBee; 02 August 2004, 12:07 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma00
                I Die Spolier Free!!!!!

That being said, can I be Sgt-at-Arms?
                Welcome to our cause Dogma!

You may indeed be a Sgt-at-Arms. In order to make your rank official, simply put a spoiler-reminder in your sig (take a look at some of the other members' sigs in this thread for ideas...a simple 'spoiler space: use it' would do, or you can get more creative), and also include your new rank in the SFA. Most of us also link either to this thread, or the spoiler rules in the FAQ...the more people who read the spoiler rules the better!

As you probably already know, we use our sigs as pre-emptive reminders for people to use spoiler space, in the hope that this will prevent some of them forgetting to do so - it only takes one mishap to spoil a whole bunch of people.

If we come across a poster that does forget, we (politely) post in the thread asking them to put it in, or we PM them about the spoiler rules. Newbies in particular should be PM'd for privacy reasons. They may not know better and we don't want to scare them away from the forum lol.

Only in severe instances do we report a spoiler issue to a moderator.

If all of this suits you, then you are VERY VERY welcome in our little group!!

Comment

Another welcome member! I see we're quite the type of spoiler-free notice people!

http://anubis.forumer.com

I created this forum so it would be spoiler free!
                  __

__

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee
                    My current peeve is with vague thread titles, i.e.

"How about........."

and when you open it you find a thread loaded with spoilers for S8 or Atlantis.
                    If the magic words "Spoliers Season 8" or "Atlantis" had been added then not only would those who don't want spoilers be caught out, but it would be clear that the thread contained spoilers, and spoiler space in individual posts would not be required.

Sorry about the rant, but I got caught out recently in General, and it really annoyed me.
                    Ohh poor you for getting spoiled!

You're not the only one that's annoyed about vague thread titles...even people who aren't part of the SFA get peeved about that one.

I guess what makes it so frustrating is that it would be *so* easy just to include a spoiler warning in the thread title and first post...that way, they and the other posters are under no obligations to people like us who want to avoid spoilers. They can spoil to their hearts content and we won't bother them, they won't bother us.

That said, we have to expect the occassional slip-up every now and then. No system is ever fool proof.

Just don't get me started on spoilers in people's sigs...now THAT I find difficult to rationalise...

BTW, the cake was lovely. Really moist and rich.
                    Were the flowers edible? 'Cos I ate them.
                    Ohh glad you liked! I'm still eating the leftovers

I'm not too sure about the edibility of the flowers...but if you haven't suffered any uncomfortable physical repercussions, and they tasted ok, then I can only assume they weren't poisonous

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
                      Another welcome member! I see we're quite the type of spoiler-free notice people!

http://anubis.forumer.com

I created this forum so it would be spoiler free!
                      At first, I thought Jafana and I were all alone in our quest to remain unspoiled for the new season...but now it turns out a whole bunch of people try to avoid spoilers, at least to some degree.

So another WELCOME to all the new members! I'm very touched *wipes tear from eye* lol.

Meanwhile...you started a whole forum??? Wow! I will definitely take a look

Especially if it is spoiler-free.

Generally, I don't venture far from Gateworld as I don't even get the time to play here as much as I would like. And despite the occasional poster forgetting spoilers, I like it here too much to leave.

But this could be a viable alternative during all those times I am avoiding most of the forum completely after an episode has just aired.

Comment

I hear the call of the SFA and come running. I am in support of your great cause!
                        Rocky

Comment

Congrulations for us gathering another member, Fred (rocket)

Well, I too would never leave GateWorld Forum, its probably the best place for discussion about Stargate on the net!
                          __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
                            Congrulations for us gathering another member, Fred (rocket)

Well, I too would never leave GateWorld Forum, its probably the best place for discussion about Stargate on the net!
                            I agree, GateWorld is probably the best place for Stargate discussion, but hopefully, The Stargate Forum (link in sig) will become the second best!
                            Rocky

Comment

I would love that to happen. I think it would involve a website also! I'm gonna begin planning...
                              __

__

Comment

This is an interesting idea guys, but the spoiler rules aren't going to change for GateWorld. That said, I believe Darren is putting something about sigs in there - but that should have been taken as given anyway. Anything in a post - name, message, sig - counts the same.

When it comes to 'policing' the forum though, that is a job you should leave up to the mods. It is our responsibility to ensure that the rules are kept to, and to mod posters when they're not. If you see a spoiler infringement then report it to a mod - please don't take matters into your own hands. Cheers.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X