This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoiler Free Army: SFA Call to Arms!!

Jafana stands up on a Soapbox, pulls out a Megaphone and looks down at the assembled crowd

Gather before me good creatures of the GateWorld Forum. Today sees a new day in the world of Stargate Fandom.

Until now we have been plagued by spoilers in our traversing through this great forum. Whole episodes, even story arcs, have been spoiled by uncaring or unknowing individuals.

But today we will see this end. (or at least make people more aware of the problem.) We are all here to enjoy the love that is Stargatey Goodness. The great diversity of our home countries makes for enjoyable and exciting discussion.

However, that same diversity means that the poor creatures outside of the US, or unlucky enough not to subscribe to the SciFi channel do not get to see the episodes when they are first aired. Sadly, even Pre-Episode spoilers abound. The Mod's try to keep up with them, but unfortunately, the fair creatures of the Forum do indeed stumble upon unwanted spoilers.

Thus, with the beginning of what could indeed be the last season of Original Stargatey Goodness, I have created the Spoiler Free Army
    So join us Fair Creatures, Rise up and join the cry:

I DIE, SPOILER FREE!!!

(I would like to thank my First Prime, SaharaGate for her help in creating the SFA)

The Rules of our Cause are as follows:
    1. Our goal is to encourage the use of spoiler space. To display your membership to this worthy cause, post into this thread the words I Die Spoiler Free, and include a reminder in your Sig.
      Whether it is simply a bold "Remember Spoiler Space" or you take up the gauntlet and create a fancy smancy sig as my First Prime SaharaGate has done for me, it doesn't matter. We need to remind people of the importance of using spoiler space.
    2. We are trying to combat every kind of spoiler. Whether it be in the body of a post, in a sig, or in particular spoiling a brand new ep in the weeks before or after its initial air date. The way we do this is:
      Click the little red sign with the *!* in the top right hand corner. When the little box appears, enter why you're reporting the post -
      eg: This post is spoilerific! For Season 8, episode 3 -Lockdown.
    3. We don't want to incite an angry mob. Or come across as one. Our cause is Just. Our fight is Worthy, but we should not sully it with nasty words and violence.
    4. Remember, we are not against people discussing spoilers or details of new episodes. But there are places to do so (ie. the season 8 and Atlantis thread) and formats to follow outside those designated threads. We simply want to defend our right to having the option of avoiding them.
    5. Always remember to use spoiler space yourself!! Naming which season the spoiler is from, and if applicable the name of the episode. (eg. *Spoilers, Season 7, The Lost City*)
    Last edited by Jafana; 02 August 2004, 08:57 PM.

Comment

I DIE SPOILER FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to be the first to pledge my allegiance lol. I'll be back later with my new anti-spoiler sig.

Comment

Woooohooo!

I got my new sig up and working

I think I'll go over to the 'what ep was spoiled for u' thread and post my irritation about spoilers out of my system hehe.

Comment

Here's a spoiler for you: You'll die alone!

Comment

Perhaps.

Alone...but free

Comment

Thats really kinda mean aAnubisS.
              It's not like what we're doing affects you in any direct way. you can chose to simply ignore us if you feel it's necessary.

Comment

BTW, SaharaGate, love the new sig! Very clever!
                Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                once done, cannot be undone...
                brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Agh, I'm internally conflicted. Every time I come to this site, no matter what thead, there are hints of spoilers. The only way I can truly be surprised by an ep now is to shut down the Internet and just watch it for what it is... which is too hard because I likes socializing with all of ya's!
                  Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
                  more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

That's the whole point to this thread. We're trying to make people aware that spoilers are fine, so long as they're fully indicated.

We dont want to have to give up the forum either. So, we try to remind people how important spoiler space is.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
                      BTW, SaharaGate, love the new sig! Very clever!

Thanks!!

Glad you like it.

I wanted to think of something that would get the message across without sounding too snarky.

Since we can't force people to use spoilers or remind them while they are posting, we may as well remind them as often as possible.

I got another 2 or 3 spoiler-free sig ideas so I'll update every month or so. Hopefully it will make some difference...

Comment

I'm skipping a lot of new threads right now. I may or may not revisit them after the eps every week. Just from the looks of some of the titles, I don't think I'm missing much.

I haven't heard/seen anything from the mods about spoiler space/rule suggestions, although I posted mine in the Play Zone (I think). I really think that some of the "worst" offenders as of late are new users, so I really would love to see the sticky idea. It would even help to remind me from time to time.

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."

Comment

I'm skipping a lot of new threads right now. I may or may not revisit them after the eps every week. Just from the looks of some of the titles, I don't think I'm missing much.

I haven't heard/seen anything from the mods about spoiler space/rule suggestions, although I posted mine in the Play Zone (I think). I really think that some of the "worst" offenders as of late are new users, so I really would love to see the sticky idea. It would even help to remind me from time to time.
                          Yeah I agree...they really need a sticky on this subject to remind people. I think you're right and a lot of the worst offenders are newbies lately. So usually I just PM them and let them know as nicely as possible so as not to embarass them.

What REALLY annoys me tho is people having spoilers in their sigs. Tho I can fully understand it coz it's hard not to get excited about a new season and everyone wants to use the latest quotes and pics.

So I kinda don't feel like ruining their fun...

Comment

Originally posted by SaharaGate
                            What REALLY annoys me tho is people having spoilers in their sigs. Tho I can fully understand it coz it's hard not to get excited about a new season and everyone wants to use the latest quotes and pics.
                            Yah...I took the Season 8 "spoiler" out of my sig even though it wasn't a secret. I can live without...there are so many other quotes to choose from, no?

Comment

Yah...I took the Season 8 "spoiler" out of my sig even though it wasn't a secret. I can live without...there are so many other quotes to choose from, no?
                              Yeah that's what I figure...there really isn't any need to since there are sooo many cool lines and pics from other seasons.

I just PM'd someone about a spoiler in their sig but I still felt bad doing it. I was really nice about it though!

I think i might suggest this sticky idea over in the forum suggestions thread if it hasn't already been done.

I think people just need to be reminded more...like when they actually go to post or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X