This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christian Gaters unite!

I thought it would be nice if we had a thread where the Believers of Gateworld could get together and discuss Stargate from a moral standing. =0)

This is NOT a religious arguement or debate! There will be no bad feelings here. This is merely a discussion of morals on Stargate from a Christian (or other) perspective. So please, stay on topic and no fighting. =0)
    Last edited by Cherriey; 27 February 2006, 04:03 PM.

Originally posted by Cherriey
    I thought it would be nice if we had a thread where the Believers of Gateworld could get together and discuss Stargate from a moral standing. =0)
    The Ori are supposed to be God, the Prior's are supposed to be Jesus. Just like in real religion, they suck out the lifeblood of the believers (or the paycheck if you're Catholic) which makes the Deity even more powerful.

Of course, the SG teams (and the writers if I'm not mistaken) deny this, saying that "The Ori are not our Gods!" but the alligory is still there.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
      (or the paycheck if you're Catholic)
      AS A FAITHFUL CATHOLIC, I DEMAND AN APOLOGY!!! AND IF YOU'RE A FEMALE, YOUR PHONE NUMBER MUST FOLLOW!!!
      1 Year 11mths without using the letter U on the thread: ask Morbo anything

Comment

I think reallife religion of anykind still practiced should not be discused in regard to a fictional series. It will only lead to lets say very heated discusions.

Comment

I wanted to discuss Stargate's moral issues from a Christian perspective... not argue about allegory or begin a debate about spirituality. This place is supposed to be fun, right? =0)

Comment

Just saying, i have seen way to many discusions like that go up in more then smoke.

Comment

Yeahno. This is a thread bound to make people furious. Shouldn't have started it... very bad idea.

Comment

Actually, there's a Christian thread in Off Topic, might be the best place to head. Everyone's lovely and friendly over there
                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Are you saying I'm not lovely and friendly? *begins to cry*

Where there is 'right' and 'wrong' (aka 'good' and 'evil') there are morals. Oma said that this is the only thing that you can control; whether you are good or evil. So when she said that... what did she mean? Are the Goa'uld held up as the classic example of evil or is it the Ori? Of course neither good nor evil claims perfection in either area; they both slip up every once in awhile. Oma proves that herself! lol =0) Thoughts?

Comment

Both good and evil are defined by the culture you are in. There is no such thing as a universal constant that defines evil or good.

Comment

So that's what Oma was saying? I don't know. SG-1 has come across many cultures and have interferred in quite a few because what was being done was 'wrong'. Is SG-1 wrong to do this?

Comment

Hello. great thread!!!!
                        sigpic
                        Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

As a Christian myself, I sometimes find myself combining my duty to God with my duty to the common good. And other times, I find that I have to tell God to buzz off.

God and I have a difficult relationship. Considering the tragedy in my life, the fact that I haven't turned into a cynical, nihilistic atheist is remarkable. Still, I believe, and I believe that Stargate has no real quarrel with Christianity. The Ori are not Gods; they only pretend to be. God doesn't pretend to be anything: He's just God. He didn't start out as an alien on a starship. He gives us the choice to follow or not follow Him. And He doesn't send scary Priors to intimidate us into worshipping him. Even with the Ten Plagues of Egypt, God was trying to get the Pharoah to let the Hebrews go, not to believe in Him.

The Priors are not Jesus, not by any stretch of the imagination. Jesus only performed miracles to make a point and try and teach people something, not to awe or scare them. Most importantly, He was willing to die for humanity to save us from our sins, to bridge the gap between us and God. Jesus did not make war: He came here to serve, and to make the ultimate sacrifice because He loved us, His children. Therefore, the Priors are nothing like Jesus. They do not serve the people, or the common good. They do not teach sacrifice, love, or truth. They bring only death, slavery, and ignorance.

If anything, SG-1 are the closest to doing the work of God. They strive to do good, to save and protect the innocent, heal the sick, free the enslaved. They come in peace, without threats or expectations on the natives of the worlds they visit. They seek to open people's eyes to the truth: That the Gou'ald are not true gods, and that they have the power and right to choose for themselves what they believe. Rather like the Apostle Paul, they spread the message of hope and freedom, freedom from bowing down to false gods and granting people choice. And showing that a true god does not oppress His people, but serves and loves them. That we do not have to be slaves to a god, but family of one. This is what Stargate teaches us.

... Sorry, I didn't mean to preach. I'm just sick of Christians getting a bad name from televangelists and psychos. And people getting the wrong idea about God. If you truly read the Bible, just as I have read numerous religious texts, including the Qur'an, you will see that the most important thing IN the Bible is that A: God loves us, since we are His children; B: Jesus became a human, and yet retained being God, in order to come to Earth and save us from our sins by dying and staying in Hell for three days in our place. C: Jesus conquered death, and for us to do the same, only asks for us to trust him. To believe in him.

We don't have to be sugary sweet with God. He made us sentient because he wanted true companionship, wanted true friends and family, and not a bunch of drones. We should be honest with God, and honest with ourselves. I argue with God, call Him names, debate and snarl at Him. I talk to Him about, well, anything, to find comfort. I also pray to Him, ask forgiveness when I've seen what a twit I've been, and ask Him to give me strength for the next day. And I haven't been hit by a lightening bolt yet.

... Crap. Sorry, again. I'm not trying to convert anyone, believe me. You don't have to believe a word I'm saying, and you can call me a fink and a zealot if you so wish. But, this thread is about Christian Gaters, and I just wanted to share what that means to me. To let you all in on who I am, and hopefully, find that we're not so different after all.

And now, with that hopeful declaration, I end this reply with the following humorous exchange:

Uh, Daniel? What's with the stacks of mail?
                          Um... Fan mail... Sort of...
                          From...?
                          (mumbles)
                          Sorry Daniel, didn't catch that.
                          ... The Daniel Jackson Interstellar Harem...

Jack, it's not that funny...
                          Course it is, Danny! Let's see...
                          Jaaack! That's my mail! You're breaking a federal law!
                          Let's see... Sarah Gardener... the barmaid on P3X-998... Amaterasu?!
                          Um... It was supposedly an old Gou'ald custom for treaties...
                          Oma Desala?!
                          Er... Something I don't remember...
                          Linea?
                          She wanted to keep in touch... ahem...
                          Anise?! Vala... Dr. Lam... CARTER?!
                          You were away... For... A while... Uhhh... Jack? What are you doing? Jack?

THE END!

Comment

That's not the problem... discussing spirituality and unity, etc. is fine, but when you label the topic "Christian Gaters unite!" and its about spirituality within the show... what about the Muslim viewers? Buddhist (which the Ascended Ancients are more closer attuned to)? Hindu's?

Why can't we all unite?

Comment

*sigh* I can't make everyone happy and that is why I never strive to.

I don't think you were preaching; you were just stating things as you saw them.

I don't want controversy. I just want to sit (or stand if you want to) around and discuss things... maybe have a little fun! =0)

The balance of good and evil on this show has always fascinated me and I wanted to be able to discuss it with others. Perhaps the title was more of an attention getter. However, if the title bugs you... ignore it. =0) I'm not here to purposely get under anyone's skin; though if I have... I can't say I'm sorry because I am just being me. I'm not trying to hurt anyone or make them feel left out I just want to talk.

So many people seem to define good and evil differently. I know that the show must have its own constant. Does anyone have any idea what that may be? =0)

Comment

Working...
                              X