Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what music are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
    It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Source: Vinyl

Comment

Mastodon, great prog band, this is one of my favorite song.
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Like reggae? These guys invented the genre. Best show live I have ever seen in my life this summer, and that's coming from a metalhead.

Toots is 75 years old and have been doing shows for over 50 years.
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Not so much into Reggae. I'm primarily hard rock from the 70's, 80's & such.

This album is in my top 5 of all time: These guys were ridiculed to hell and back, but here we are, 40+ years later, in they're in the R&R hall of fame and they're hanging it up due to age. But here's the thing.

They busted their arse to entertain the audience. Take a look at the gatefold image for this LP. That's not photography tricks. That was actually an understatement of what they did on that tour.
            Whatever it took to give a better show than the other guy, these guys did it.

Source: Vinyl

On the screen: whatever.

Comment

Of course, Kiss is a pillar of the evolution of music of that era. Rock n Roll was against all known rules and classic molds of music partitions.

Kiss and many more proved that live concerts can go beyond offering good quality music, which Kiss had plenty of already, and give the chance to people to unwind for a few hours in an environment completely free of society's constraints. R&R is literally the origin of most music today, from Hip Hop to Heavy Metal.

Not only that, but R&R was all about sending powerful messages and change society for the better.
              Spoiler:

Comment

Since I'm giving my liver a Friday off today and taking it chill at home tonight and because I mentioned metal, I would like to settle a debate once and for all. That one is for you GF or metalheads here.

Pantera created metal, not Metallica.

Agree or disagree?
                Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                  Since I'm giving my liver a Friday off today and taking it chill at home tonight and because I mentioned metal, I would like to settle a debate once and for all. That one is for you GF or metalheads here.

Agree or disagree?
                  I've heard Pantera, they played a few times at the local watering hole, but I've always preferred Metallica, whom I've never seen. Just seemed to be some more thought in the songs.

Comment

Source: DVD

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                      I've heard Pantera, they played a few times at the local watering hole, but I've always preferred Metallica, whom I've never seen. Just seemed to be some more thought in the songs.
                      Pantera had tremendous talent but were struck by tragedies back-to-back. They were greatly influenced by The Big Four (Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth and Anthrax) but they stuck to a particular style that was different from all of them.

Pantera's vocalist, Phil Anselmo, became addicted to heroin in 1995, causing the band to rupture. They eventually got back together and released a last album in until he left for good, Anselmo died The Abbot brothers went on to create another band.

Dimebag was then shot and killed on stage in 2004 by a mentally unstable fan in Ohio and his brother Vinnie died from heart disease not so long ago in 2018.

The rivalry between both bands was incredibly intense, for ideological purposes. Metallica did not want to take metal bands with them on tour that were deemed ''extreme'' and changed their style over time as they became popular. Anselmo was virulent and intense in his critics to Etfield for that particular reason.

It's always been an eternal debate and I'm sure I triggered Gatefan by putting Pantera over Slayer

Personally I lost it with Metallica when they released the St Anger album in 2003. Anything after that is absolute trash in my opinion. Money and fame corrupts the best.
                      Spoiler:

Comment

Agree or disagree?
                        Disagree on both, because neither created metal.
                        Iron Maiden existed before both, and even they didn't create metal. Metal is an evolution of multiple styles of music, and even the purpose of music.
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                          Disagree on both, because neither created metal.
                          Iron Maiden existed before both, and even they didn't create metal. Metal is an evolution of multiple styles of music, and even the purpose of music.
                          I wish I didn't ask it like that, I should just've said *Metallica or Pantera*, but more specifically I was talking about the trash sub-genre. Maiden was there before agreed, but with a much different style.
                          Spoiler:

Comment

I wish I didn't ask it like that, I should just've said *Metallica or Pantera*, but more specifically I was talking about the trash sub-genre. Maiden was there before agreed, but with a much different style.
                            I assume you mean thrash??
                            If you are going strictly by when bands were created, I would say slayer was far more influential than either on the thrash metal scene.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                              I assume you mean thrash??
                              If you are going strictly by when bands were created, I would say slayer was far more influential than either on the thrash metal scene.
                              Thrash indeed, I swear this autocorrect on this phone is an AI, I literally just struggled for 2 minutes trying to write it with an H. (And there it wants to write hour instead of H)

Back to Slayer, I must disagree if we consider only the musical structure aspect; what music sounds like. In terms of impact to the genre I completely agree that Slayer were much more influencial, Pantera was slightly more underground and less popular.
                              Spoiler:

Comment

Thrash indeed, I swear this autocorrect on this phone is an AI, I literally just struggled for 2 minutes trying to write it with an H. (And there it wants to write hour instead of H)

Back to Slayer, I must disagree if we consider only the musical structure aspect; what music sounds like. In terms of impact to the genre I completely agree that Slayer were much more influencial, Pantera was slightly more underground and less popular.
                                Then I feel I have proved my case.

Don't mistake that for me ragging on Pantera though, I think they are a great band. All I am doing is trying to answer your initial question. If you want to limit this to strictly THRASH between the two bands, I would have to say Metallica, not for being "BETTER", but for being more influential. Music wise however, I think Pantera is better, even though I prefer the non semi-death vocals of Metallica.
                                Metal is hard to parse because their are bands like Morbid Angel and Cannibal corpse who's actual music I really dig, but cannot stand the lyrical content of because of the way it sounds. If that style does it for you, then cool.
                                End of the day, you are just a fellow metalhead
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X