X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

born again Christians

Hello all

I'm a born again Christian, I go to a Baptist Church, but I just consider myself a Christian. I just wanted a place where all the Christians on the board can come and chat about stuff. If there's already a thread like this, I couldn't find it haha or maybe I wasn't looking hard enough! Either way, anybody else here Christians?

I'm RCUS (Reformed Church of the US).

So what do you think about the Supreme Court's ruling about the 10 Commandments not being allowed to be in court houses?
    Save us from danger, save us from evil
    Servatis a periculum, Servatis a maleficum

Comment

Originally posted by twiggy
      I'm RCUS (Reformed Church of the US).

So what do you think about the Supreme Court's ruling about the 10 Commandments not being allowed to be in court houses?
      well i'm not american, or a christian, but i agree (with the ruling). i don't think that there should be religious influence courts/schools etc *runs off back to tlw thread*
      sigpic
      http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
      http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Personally, I think that's crazy. Our society is slowing trying to take anything related to God out of everything. And what's so terrible about the 10 Commandments anyway? Thou shall not murder. Thou shall not steal. Obey your parents. The 10 Commandments are fundamental in our society and in our law. People who say the 10 Commandments shouldn't be in our schools and government, are they saying that we shouldn't listen to "THOU SHALL NOT MURDER?"

In my opinion, it seems the best way, to put religion into our school system.

But yeah, I don't feel like argueing haha. Just discussing with other Christians. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Erin
          Personally, I think that's crazy. Our society is slowing trying to take anything related to God out of everything. And what's so terrible about the 10 Commandments anyway? Thou shall not murder. Thou shall not steal. Obey your parents. The 10 Commandments are fundamental in our society and in our law. People who say the 10 Commandments shouldn't be in our schools and government, are they saying that we shouldn't listen to "THOU SHALL NOT MURDER?"

In my opinion, it seems the best way, to put religion into our school system.

But yeah, I don't feel like argueing haha. Just discussing with other Christians. :-)
          the point is its still part of the christian religion (and judaism) and some people who are not christian, jewish or don't follow a religion might have a problem with having these influences in public buildings.
          sigpic

Comment

*snip*
            i don't mean to start an argument, i'm just very opinionated
            sigpic

Comment

im a christian i was baptised in the church of england,
              although im not a practising christian and i dont have that problem in the UK i tottaly understand where you r cummin from...

Wow Wow WoW Bullets Bounce!!!!!!!! Mitchell to Teal'c

sigpic SMOKIN HOT! JENSEN ACKLES

Comment

I don't understand why the monuments are such a big deal. With plenty of actual moral issues at stake in government, why are so many Christians worrying about STATUES? The government divorced itself from the ten commandments in actual practice long ago; as far as I'm concerned, whether a monument stays or goes is irrelevant.

Comment

Then why get rid of a piece of history? How would you like them removing the Declaration of Independence from schools. At my school they won't let a picture of George W. Bush up beacuse he's a Christian. They didnt' want Christian influence. Bush is the President of the United States. He's our President and the schools are trying to take that away from the schools? It just doesn't seem right.

Comment

Hi,

Regarding, the Supreme Court ruling--some ten commandment displays can remain on public property. The Court ruled that each display should be evaluated on a case by case basis--those that are deemed to be of moral or historical value can stay. Those that are supposedly promoting one religion over another must come down. So it was a split decision.

And after that intro, I am also a Christian. My faith is very important to me. It is nice to hear from others who share similar views.

Jace
                    Jace

When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.

Abraham Joshua Heschel

Comment

Originally posted by Jace021903
                      Regarding, the Supreme Court ruling--some ten commandment displays can remain on public property. The Court ruled that each display should be evaluated on a case by case basis--those that are deemed to be of moral or historical value can stay. Those that are supposedly promoting one religion over another must come down. So it was a split decision.
                      That's a good way to do it, the courts seem to have it right there. Although I'm not a Christian, or any religion really, I do respect that others have their beliefs. However, it can be taken too far in both directions. Not being allowed to have a picture of your president because he is a christian is ridiculous, but then, I don't agree with promoting one religion over the other, or enforcing beliefs upon someone is ok either. And I mean all religions groups - I used to go to a Catholic school ... I wasn't Catholic myself, I just went as it was the best school in my area, and I had so much dogma thrown at me that it put me off religion for life. People should just accept that not everyone's going to agree with them and you can't make people change their minds and think your way all the time.

Sorry for jumping in on the thread there, I shall graciously bow out and leave you all to chat

Comment

Then why get rid of a piece of history? How would you like them removing the Declaration of Independence from schools. At my school they won't let a picture of George W. Bush up beacuse he's a Christian. They didnt' want Christian influence. Bush is the President of the United States. He's our President and the schools are trying to take that away from the schools? It just doesn't seem right.
                        One problem with that, the Declaration of Independence isn't trying to dicate religious beliefs, whereas the the Ten Commandments do dicate certain religious beliefs. The founding fathers were smart enough to see that once the government starts promoting one religion over another, we stop living in a free society. My personal belief is that religion belongs in the home, it doesn't need to be taught in schools or be promoted by the government in any way, shape or form or if they promote one, they must promote them all. Would you be ok with a group donating a huge granite statue of the Quran or sacred buddhist texts and having those placed infront of a Court or school?

What school do you go to that wouldn't display a picture of the current president? Because, while I don't agree with his politics, he is the President and deserves respect. Are you sure the school won't display his picture because the principal or teachers are Democrats? Because that I could almost understand, since all the Presidents have been christians.

Comment

you say Christianity should be only taught in the homes? Then how come our society is so into stuff lke promoting homesexuality? Why should that be in schools and not Christianity? I'm not trying to attack homosexuality, but it seems to me that our society continues to keep things that are Godly away. It just saddens me that's all.

I can't convince any of you of my arguements anyway. I know what I believe. I know what's changed my life. Jesus Christ has. Any of you can make the change of a lifetime. All you have to do is ask Jesus to come into your heart, that's what being born-again means. You're dying to your old self and becoming new. You're not changing completely, but your heart and soul is. I know God's done amazing things in my life. I see Him working all the time. I'm going on a missions trip to Baltimore Maryland this July with my youth group!! Anybody else going!?! That'd be cool if others were.

Comment

I think church and state should be seperated. Church is the right place for religion, not a public school. If you let religon in to public schools you have to let them all in. I assure you many people of different beliefs would have issues. So keeping it out of the schools is the only way to ensure an open learning einviroment for everyone.

Comment

you say Christianity should be only taught in the homes? Then how come our society is so into stuff lke promoting homesexuality? Why should that be in schools and not Christianity? I'm not trying to attack homosexuality, but it seems to me that our society continues to keep things that are Godly away. It just saddens me that's all.
                              I think all religion should be taught only in the home, not just Christianity. Would you be comfortable with your children being taught the virtues of Islam or Hindism as a part of thier studies? Or if you only wanted them to teach Christianity in schools, which version of Christianity do you want taught? Since there are so many different set of beliefs in our country, instead of promoting one set over another, the government is not suppose to promote any, which is one of the things that makes this country great. If we start in with a state sponsored religion, then we have to start oppressing those groups that don't follow that sponsored religion and that goes aganist everything our country stands for.

I can't convince any of you of my arguements anyway. I know what I believe. I know what's changed my life. Jesus Christ has. Any of you can make the change of a lifetime. All you have to do is ask Jesus to come into your heart, that's what being born-again means. You're dying to your old self and becoming new. You're not changing completely, but your heart and soul is. I know God's done amazing things in my life. I see Him working all the time. I'm going on a missions trip to Baltimore Maryland this July with my youth group!! Anybody else going!?! That'd be cool if others were.
                              I have nothing but respect for your beliefs, which again is part of what makes the United States a great country, I can respect your beliefs and you can respect mine without us pointing guns are each other. Freedom of and from religion are the very reason you can proclaim your relgious beliefs to others without the fear of goverment surpession.

Comment

Working...
                              X