Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jonno
    Yes.

Because all the money you actually have to spend is from a student loan which must be paid back.
    I had grants and scholarships myself. Until I goofed off and lost the scholarship...
    Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Yes.

Because all the money you actually have to spend is from a student loan which must be paid back.
      But why would ya need a student loan?
      The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
        I had grants and scholarships myself. Until I goofed off and lost the scholarship...
        Hmm - you see, for now, I have £2,300 - bit have already received about £3000 pounds worth of loan.

Admittedly you don't have to pay back the loan until you earn over £10,000 per year.

Having £2,300 pounds is actually quite impressive for a student. I'm good at conserving money, and have nice generous parents who pay my tuition and hall fees for me. A lot of my friends are already bordering on the red.
        I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Originally posted by Eoin
          But why would ya need a student loan?
          Because you have to live ... think about it - you go in as a young person who's earned very little money for yourself, and have to pay £1,100 tuition fees upfront, and £1,450 pounds of accommadation fees per term ... without a loan where's that gonna come from?

Comment

As I mentioned in the above post, the student loan is a low interest loan you don't have to pay back till you start earning. But you still have to pay it back. Without it, you'd have no money to pay for anything.

Comment

Because you have to live ... think about it - you go in as a young person who's earned very little money for yourself, and have to pay £1,100 tuition fees upfront, and £1,450 pounds of accommadation fees per term ... without a loan where's that gonna come from?
              Magnets.

Comment

As I mentioned in the above post, the student loan is a low interest loan you don't have to pay back till you start earning. But you still have to pay it back. Without it, you'd have no money to pay for anything.
                My dad had student loans. They started trying to take a lot more money than he owed. Eventually it got straightened out and now everything's ok.
                Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

oh i get ya now.... wouldnt your parents pay for all that? and if they couldnt, wouldnt the department of education (or whatever the branch of the uk's governemt deals with education) pay for it?

if im picking this up right, things work a whole lot different here

Comment

Eoin? Are you in the US or Austrailia or Canada, because in the US it's about the same.

Comment

Originally posted by gatelover12
                      Eoin? Are you in the US or Austrailia or Canada, because in the US it's about the same.
                      I'm from Ireland

Comment

*psst*... Try Ireland.
                        Cogito ergo dubito.

Comment

Originally posted by Eoin
                          oh i get ya now.... wouldnt your parents pay for all that? and if they couldnt, wouldnt the department of education (or whatever the branch of the uk's governemt deals with education) pay for it?

if im picking this up right, things work a whole lot different here
                          In my case, my parents do - but they aren't required to. And the student loan is the only thing you can get - no 'gifts' from the government (although, if your parents are low earners, you can get a larger maximum loan - still has to be payed back though).

For me, the loan provides security ... I don't have to worry about how much money (cos I'm sensible with it), and, at the end of term, some of it will go into a high interest account, to try and get some money out of it.

Comment

Ireland? I would've geussed south africa before that.

Comment

In my case, my parents do - but they aren't required to. And the student loan is the only thing you can get - no 'gifts' from the government (although, if your parents are low earners, you can get a larger maximum loan - still has to be payed back though).
                              Yeah things here certainly do work allot different, if my parents where earning less than €40k a year, the department of edu. would pay for everything, if there were earning more but still not enough they'd (or me) would have to contribute to the fee's...they wouldnt have to pay anything back to the department. If they were earning more than €50k (i think) me or them would have to pay for everything. e.g my brother started uni last year, my parents had to pay just under 9k for everything, but my brothers friend had to pay about €750 and the department covered the rest and he wont have to pay it back to them.

Comment

Ireland? I would've geussed south africa before that.
                                why south africa?

Comment

Working...
                                X