• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change of subject ...

honorificabilitudinitatibus. Discuss.
    I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

^something about a bus. that's all i know.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
        ^something about a bus. that's all i know.
        Nope. It is actually a real word. An English-student friend of mine posted it. He was trying confuse the poor dunb scientist (me).

Comment

what's it mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Happy_Gate
            what's it mean?
            That's for my friend to know and you to find out.

it's very easy to find (i did), i just can't be bothered to again right now.

Comment

Originally posted by jonno
              Change of subject ...

honorificabilitudinitatibus. Discuss.
              Originally posted by wikipedia
              Honorificabilitudinitatibus is a word appearing in act five, scene one of William Shakespeare's Love's Labour's Lost. It is (in the quote) the ablativus absolutus plural of the medieval Latin word honorificabilitudinitas, which can be translated as "the state of being able to achieve honours."

Comment

Originally posted by gatelover12
                See - told you it was easy to find ...

Comment

You mean it only appears in one of Shakespears works?
                  That's like saying Supercalifragilistic is a word, doesn't it

Comment

Well now it also apears in the last person to reply wins thread, IE common speech IE it's more of a word.

Comment

Hey - tell that to my English student friend ...

Originally posted by http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-hon1.htm
                      HONORIFICABILITUDINITATIBUS

With honour.

We are in the arena of sesquipedalian words—those a foot and a half long, whose prime characteristic is their length rather than their sense or value.

Any word used by James Joyce (in Ulysses) and William Shakespeare (in Love’s Labour Lost) can’t be entirely dismissed from the canon of English, even though the former borrowed it from the latter, who in turn borrowed it from Latin. The only other person who seems to have used it, ever, was John Taylor, a Thames waterman known as the Water Poet, in the middle of the seventeenth century.

An anagram of honorificabilitudinitatibus is Hi ludi, F. Baconis nati, tuiti orbi. In English, this says: “These plays, F. Bacon’s offspring, are preserved for the world”. This little gem of misapplied cryptography was presented by Sir Edwin Lawrence-Durning in 1910 in his book Bacon is Shakespeare as a hidden message left by Francis Bacon, who (as some are convinced) actually wrote the plays usually said to be by Shakespeare. This is all nonsense, of course—as every schoolboy knows, they were really written by Edward de Vere, Earl of Oxford.

But the same set of letters, tested in the common tongue, makes up Inhibit in fabulous, idiotic art, Inhabit furious libido in attic, Habitual if ionic distribution, and Hi! fabulous tit in idiotic brain. What would Sir Edwin have made of all these?

Comment

Well now it also apears in the last person to reply wins thread, IE common speech IE it's more of a word.
                        Yep. We're far more important than Shakespeare...

Comment

Originally posted by jonno
                          Yep. We're far more important than Shakespeare...
                          Duh, he's just a crazy ole cook who's dead.

Comment

Duh, he's just a crazy ole cook who's dead.
                            And yet he makes up a word and suddenly its and offiial one. What's that about?

Comment

And yet he makes up a word and suddenly its and offiial one. What's that about?
                              Hey - as a scientist, i agree. But, as i said, i wouldn't tell that to my English student friend...

Comment

*just had so much fun
                                The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Working...
                                X