Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jonno
    Hmm - congrats! Was that summative?
    Thx. You mean was my test the last assessment for the unit? I wish! I still have an exam and reports to do for genetics but the test is worth 40% of the unit.
    sigpic

Comment

Well, good luck in the rest of your unit, Dr Weir. school is annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
        Well, good luck in the rest of your unit, Dr Weir. school is annoying.
        Thank you. Yeah it is but it'll be worth it.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Weir
          Thx. You mean was my test the last assessment for the unit? I wish! I still have an exam and reports to do for genetics but the test is worth 40% of the unit.
          Actually, I meant 'did it count in any way to the score for the unit'

At my uni at least, you have summative work (stuff that counts) and formative work (stuff that doesn't count), eg, this year, half of my lab reports will be summative, the other half(ish) formative.

Yeah, we try and be posh by using long words ...
          I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
            I woke up feeling nice and refreshed. Normally I "wake up" before actually waking up 30-45 minutes later.
            Ah. And here I htought you were just really happy to see me.

Comment

Originally posted by Vee
              Ah. And here I htought you were just really happy to see me.
              Well, that too, but I thought that was obvious.
              Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Actually, I meant 'did it count in any way to the score for the unit'

At my uni at least, you have summative work (stuff that counts) and formative work (stuff that doesn't count), eg, this year, half of my lab reports will be summative, the other half(ish) formative.

Yeah, we try and be posh by using long words ...
                About 90% of the work I did in my first yr contributed to the final mark for that yr. Everything apart from one presentation done ages ago in my 2nd yr will contribute to my final classifcation. I like it that way so I don't put loads effort into work which doesn't make a difference to my marks and get in the way of studying that does.
                sigpic

Comment

All levels. the grading system is universal here in the US. What would be an "A" in high school, is still an "A" in college or post-graduate schooling.
                  Interesting ...

allowing for 'adjustments' (ie, the exam board altering (in GCSE's and A-Levels) the exact numbers you need to pass and stuff - don't ask)

At GCSE (age 16):

A*=90
                  A = 80
                  B = 70
                  C = 60??? not really sure, beyond here - i tried to avoid going this low

At A-Level (18):

A = 80
                  B = 70
                  C = 60
                  erm, again - not too sure

At Uni:

1st = 70
                  2:1 = 60
                  2:2 = 50
                  Fail = 40

The Dr. may have to correct me on all of this!

Comment

About 90% of the work I did in my first yr contributed to the final mark for that yr. Everything apart from one presentation done ages ago in my 2nd yr will contribute to my final classifcation. I like it that way so I don't put loads effort into work which doesn't make a difference to my marks and get in the way of studying that does.
                    To be bluntly honest, you barely have to do anything for the formative stuff ... it's usually just collecting results and answering stuff when you're in the lab, and then hand that in. + tutorial work which is formative, but good practice to do properly.

Comment

I'm not sure about marks before uni either but when I did my foundation yr the marks worked the same way as in uni. 2:1=B and 2:2=C.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure about marks before uni either but when I did my foundation yr the marks worked the same way as in uni. 2:1=B and 2:2=C.
                        foundation year?

Comment

To be bluntly honest, you barely have to do anything for the formative stuff ... it's usually just collecting results and answering stuff when you're in the lab, and then hand that in. + tutorial work which is formative, but good practice to do properly.
                          Oh yeah I had tutorial work in 2 of my 1st yr units. For one it was assessed for the not, but similar sort of questions in that came up in course tests. The rest of the formative work mostly consisted of drawing and labelling diagrams for plants which were supposed to aid revision but I didn't need them. Everything else, every little thing even just answering a few questions about some simple calculation contributed in my 1st yr. Now everything apart from presentation does.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
                            Well, that too, but I thought that was obvious.
                            Since you're here and I'm half asleep I'm going to use you as a comfy pillow.

Dr Weir, what would you like to do once you're done with your degree?

Comment

foundation year?
                              I did a science foundation yr which was equivalent to A lvls and had units in chemistry, biology, maths, physics and computer science. It was at the same uni.
                              sigpic

Comment

**Takes squeeg-1 suspension bridge hopping.**
                                Grrrrrrr.
                                sigpic
                                Don't try to pull any crap on Magnus... if you know what's good for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X