What non-sci-fi TV did you watch today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JESSE STONE

I've been watching telemovies of a character called Jesse Stone. There are eight movie length shows and there is another now in production following strong fan support.

What intrigues me is the actor playing the lead role. Its Tom Selleck, formerly of Magnum P.I.. Selleck has done quite a few telemovie type shows including some westerns. In his role as Jesse Stone, he is much different from what I remember him as Magnum and shows he is quite a decent actor who can play various types of roles. His character in Jesse Stone is just as appealing as Magnum but for different reasons.

The scenario has ex highly regarded big city homicide detective and ex baseball star, Jesse Stone succumbing to the pressures of his police role and its effect on his personal life. He's now divorced, even though he continues to speak with his ex wife almost daily on the phone. He has allowed alcohol to bring him down and he's lost his job.

Jesse is a lost soul, who seems to have no future but is surprisingly accepted to be police chief of a small township, where he hopes to disappear into anonymity handling small community issues. But Stone is too much the dedicated cop and cant just ignore issues that arise that increasingly bring him at odds with the power people in the town. He rents an out of the way isolated house hoping to keep the World at a distance but crime keeps rearing its ugly face and people he cares about get hurt or killed. They even kill his dog.

What makes this a good telemovie series is the characters and the banter especially between Stone and the various people he associates with. He develops strange workable relationships with his few officers, Stone's ex alcoholic policeman turned psychiatrist, who is as experienced as Stone, a homicide detective from Boston who seconds him, much to the community's annoyance, to solve big city murders, a crooked bank manager turned used car salesman, a boxing trainer with underworld connections, numerous women in various roles who take a shining to him and a stray dog that is as mixed up as Stone but shares his often dysfunctional life.

If you're like me and enjoy a slower paced, film noir type of series, more akin to Bogart's and Mitchum's Sam Spade/Phillip Marlowe type thrillers from the books by Chandler and Hammett, with the moody background music, you'll enjoy this series. Tough guy gritty.

Its nothing extra special but it's entertaining, well written and scripted and the lead character is a very complex individual struggling through most of the series with alcohol, his ex wife and his sense of obligation and responsibility. Selleck plays it well and is very believable as the tired middle aged cop, hung over on many occasions, but clever enough and at time ruthless enough to see justice is done. The series is available on DVD through Amazon. I recommend it but then I like this type of series and I like Tom Selleck.

Comment

Happy Days
      "Fonzie's Baptism"

Are You Being Served?
      "Goodbye, Mr. Grainger"
      "It Pays to Advertise"

Emergency!
      "Upward and Onward"
      sigpic
      "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
      Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE
        01.05 - The Eternal Quadrangle
        01.06 - The Return of the Speckled Band

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Limitless
          1x05 - Personality Crisis

NCIS
          13x05 - Lockdown

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

Grey's Anatomy: "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner"

Comment

Chopped

Comment

Forensic Detectives.
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Emergency!
                  "Hypochondri-cap"
                  "Limelight"
                  sigpic
                  "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:

Comment

CSI: Cyber 1x04 - Fire Code

Nazi Megastructures: The Wolf's Lair
                    "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

The Big Bang Theory
                      The Bachelor Party Corrosion
                      The 2003 Approximation
                      The Perspiration Implementation

Modern Family
                      She Crazy

Scream Queens
                      Pumpkin Patch
                      Seven Minutes in Hell

Fargo
                      Before The Law
                      Last Movie Watched
                      X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                      Life is Strange

Comment

RAB C. NESBITT
                        02.04 - That's Entertainment
                        02.05 - Ethics

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

The Blacklist
                          3x04 - The Djinn

Flashpoint
                          2x16 - You Think You Know Someone

NCIS: Los Angeles
                          4x20 - Purity
                          4x21 - Resurrection

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

NCIS: New Orleans, season 1, ep. 18, "More Now".
                            sigpic
                            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Father Knows Best: Reunion

Walking With Dinosaurs
                              "Giant of the Skies"
                              sigpic

My Books:

Comment

Last Man Standing: "The Road Less Driven" - Good episode.

Comment

Working...
                                X