Band Of Brothers:

"Currahee"
      "Day of Days"
      sigpic

Comment

Strictly Come Dancing results show...
        X Factor Cast of Glee performing... 'Don't stop believing!'
        "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
        Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
        Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
        Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
        I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
        To thy own self... Be true
        May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Columbo
          NCIS
          Castle
          Grimm returns October 24
          sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
          Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

The Wire
            Episode 14 Ebb Tide
            Episode 15 Collateral Damage
            Episode 16 Hot Shots
            Episode 17 Hard Cases
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
              Never watched much of the wire but I got the feeling it was another of those the bad guy is the hero - watch it because bad cops are cool which I detest with all my breath.
              Just going to add the chorus of voices praising the Wire. You really missed the point. The show does portray many involved in the drug trade as sympathetic characters, victims or those who are desperate. But it also shows that many aren’t, that many are violent thugs and psychopaths, the gangleaders especially.

And while there are incompetent and/or corrupt police, a lot of the police characters are good people. Not without their flaws, but their just doing the best they can do. The show does not glorify the bad guys at all, the sympathetic characters are those in the police trying to fight the drug trade, those caught in the middle, often trying to escape addiction and those in the trade trying to get out.

This is one of the (many) standout scenes of the show. In it, the guy in the suit, Bunk, is looking for information on a recent gangland shooting. The other guy, Omar is one of the more sympathetic criminals, he robs drug dealers, makes a point not to hurt innocents, sometimes cooperates with the police, is a very sympathetic character and one of the most popular on the show. Yet as this scene points out even then, what he does causes victims and pain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wmgghlEagA
              Oh and big swearing warning, it being HBO.
              Last edited by The Mighty 6 platoon; 05 December 2010, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Any Human Heart - Episode 3

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                  I'd definitely recommend The Wire, TS.

I've never had HBO but the only other HBO series I've ever watched was The Sopranos (when it finally came to basic cable), which I enjoyed, but The Wire is some of the best tv I've ever watched.
                  I appreciate the comments and I don't want to sound ungrateful or (don't you hate it when the word you want is on the tip of your tongue but you just can't grasp it ) but since hate would be a kind word to describe my feelings toward the Sopranos and I don't think we have any other shows incommon other than Farscape that's actually probably a negative for the wire.

But if it comes on tv again I'll give it a try.
                  sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

I appreciate the comments and I don't want to sound ungrateful or (don't you hate it when the word you want is on the tip of your tongue but you just can't grasp it ) but since hate would be a kind word to describe my feelings toward the Sopranos and I don't think we have any other shows incommon other than Farscape that's actually probably a negative for the wire.

The Sopranos couldn’t really be further from the Wire. You want a show with moral characters, with people to root for, then the Wire is your show. It’s not black and white, there’s a lot of shades of grey, but there are a lot of good characters in the show, who you do want to see succeed.

It is utterly and without a shadow of a doubt hands down the single greatest tv show of all time. It’s modern Shakespeare is really the only way to truly describe it. That sounds like hyperbole I know, but the show really is that great. Not only is it a show with a powerful social message and political commentary that actual content is just excellent. Brilliantly written with so many memorable quotes and powerful scenes, the acting is astoundingly good, overall it’s an extremely exciting show, with powerful drama, deep and multilayered, with a set of some of the most memorable characters ever created.

What I think the Wire does best is show a world that is as murky and grey in morality as the real world is. Then it shows us there are still hero’s, still people fighting for what’s right, despite their own flaws. I am pretty much running out of postive adjectives I can use to desrivbe the Wire . It is that good and I doubt I will see a show that reaches it's level ever again.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                      What I think the Wire does best is show a world that is as murky and grey in morality as the real world is. Then it shows us there are still hero’s, still people fighting for what’s right, despite their own flaws. I am pretty much running out of postive adjectives I can use to desrivbe the Wire . It is that good and I doubt I will see a show that reaches it's level ever again.
                      That sounds like a show that I might like. I'll keep an eye out for it to hit regular cable. Sounds like a show TNT might carry.
                      sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

Comment

M6P and I may not agree on lots, but I 110% stand behind every word he's said about The Wire. The amount of praise the show gets may indeed sound like hyperbole to anyone who hasn't seen it, but it is indeed deserving of every last bit of the accolades and praise it gets.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          M6P and I may not agree on lots, but I 110% stand behind every word he's said about The Wire. The amount of praise the show gets may indeed sound like hyperbole to anyone who hasn't seen it, but it is indeed deserving of every last bit of the accolades and praise it gets.
                          I can believe that and not. Sopranos and Dark Knight got gobs and gobs of praise and IMO highly underserved. On the other Farscape, (at least to me) is possibley the best show ever and is vastly underappreciated so I can understand that feeling toward The Wire.
                          sigpic

Comment

Well that's just you missing out on all that's good and right in the world

Comment

Boardwalk Empire
                              Episode 12 A Return to Normalcy

The Wire
                              Episode 18 Undertow
                              Episode 19 All Prologue

Another of my favourite bits in All Prologue....
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYj7q_by_2E 5:55-7:20

The Wire, so...language/content warning

Comment

Well I already knew you loathed The Sopranos , but I wasn't trying to compare The Wire to that. I was just noting that it's the only other HBO show that I've ever seen other than Band of Brothers.

Right now I know The Wire is running on the 101 Channel on DirectTV. Somebody else might eventually show it but they'd really have to go to work dubbing out all the swearing , but then the show would loose a lot of its flavor. I borrowed someone's dvd set to watch it recently.
                                IMO always implied.

Comment

Working...
                                X