The supposed 'death' of Stargate...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The supposed 'death' of Stargate...

Falcon Horus, in the thread, 'GateWorld Forum: 2020 Vision!', said, "Stargate is dead..." The shows may be off the air, but the DVD's of all three shows, as well as the movies, keep the show alive for all the fans around the world, including me. So the show isn't really 'dead' as much as you think it is. I still like to re-watch the SG-1 episodes and videos I have all the time, and rediscover things I'd forgotten about the shows and the characters in them. For me, that's the fun part!

By the way, did you know that if you went to the Google Earth maps and did a search for Stargate Command, that the entrance to the Cheyenne Mountain complex would pop up, calling it Stargate Command? Check this out!
    https://earth.google.com/web/search/...Ftxj2txzlawCgC
    (It takes a minute or two to load up, so be patient!)

All in all, I'm glad I'm a part of the forums here, and I've made some good friends here, too. So don't let the shows 'die' out like others have said it has. Keep the shows alive for others to enjoy!
    Turas Sábháilte, Baile Sábháilte
    (Safe Journey, Safe Home.)

It's on life-support but a vegetative state isn't living... that's where the franchise is at the moment and for the foreseeable future.

So yes, Stargate as a series is "dead" but so are many other shows for which fans still exist and commune together.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Even though the series might be dead, , we still have them all in our hearts and minds, and the memories we link to them as well as they still inspire for fanfic and other things as such

If the series were all dead for good, it also wouldn't be remember and none of us likely would still be coming here and post

I mean, well it's kind of a bad comparison because, the life of a loved one matters so much more than a TV show/ franchise, but honestly I think it is with all things we love like with people we lost, they are not really dead until they are completely forgotten

Comment

I don't think it's dead yet, at least not to me. It may be 'dead' because there are no new shows coming out, but with the new blue-ray DVD release coming out, and with the movies on DVD as well as the forums here, like Az'ryel said, if it's out there, it's not dead in our hearts and minds. With that in mind, Maybe others who haven't seen the shows will see them and like them like we do.

Comment

What is this thread about? Stargate had a nice run with 18 seasons (including Infinity), so it can return to the tv screens. I have faith of the glorious return as people need quality contents. This scifi world could even maintain multiply new spinoffs if they are introduced and integrated nicely into the existing canon. Just check other threads as we had lots of conversations about our expectations and story ideas.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

This thread is about the supposed 'death' of the Stargate franchise, or rather, one person's view of that. My view is that it isn't dead, just dormant for a while.

Comment

Okay, just you have named FalconHorus directly like you can't accept her opinion.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                What is this thread about? Stargate had a nice run with 18 seasons (including Infinity), so it can return to the tv screens. I have faith of the glorious return as people need quality contents. This scifi world could even maintain multiply new spinoffs if they are introduced and integrated nicely into the existing canon. Just check other threads as we had lots of conversations about our expectations and story ideas.
                "If wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak."
                -- Jayne Cobb

It could return, yes, but at the moment it's not... it's out of the eye of the general public, and newbies (at least over here) don't come in droves. If you look at the activity on Gateworld, then it's no surprise that the most active threads are not the Stargate ones. If GW didn't have the extra OT's, it would died a long time ago.

Of course, it has a loyal group of members but even they are slowly staying away... or get forced off the property (let's not forget those who have -- with reason or as collateral damage).

Okay, just you have named FalconHorus directly like you can't accept her opinion.
                I did say Stargate is dead, and it's indeed my opinion. I'm okay with Imzadi not sharing that opinion. She clearly has a different one -- I'm cool with that.

Comment

Our Hungarian forum is also "dead", but this is such a final word. If we have learnt something from Stargate :

"life is too short"
                  "death is only the beginning of the journey"
                  "universe is infinte"
                  "... as we discovered, our mission is and always will be, the journey itself."

So I would rather call it as coma, hibernation, vacation in the sarcophagus etc. I can also understand if people have moved on as their lives are going on, there are new tv shows etc. But Stargate still could and should return as it has influenced a generation.

Comment

It's "dead" as a franchise. And this is not necessarily a bad thing. It lives on in memory and on DVDs (and hopefully in the future on multi-region or region-free Blu-ray, but I won't bet on it), but nothing new is coming.

It could be in a "coma". But, surprisingly accurate for this analogy, someone waking up from a coma may become a very different person. In this case, when Stargate "wakes up", it may be so different from before that we no longer recognize "our loved one". This happened to Star Trek for me. There's some "brain" activity as Brad Wright may be working on something. But it's not enough to be confident Stargate will "wake up". Besides, if the "power goes out" (i.e. MGM collapses or sells the whole inventory), so will the life support.

"If you love something, set it free". Something that could be interpreted in different ways.

Comment

Come on, guys, have a little positivity. This thread has turned into a funeral. I am aware of the high expectations from everyone, so maybe something surprising will accur. We can enjoy other shows until that moment when Stargate can return.

Comment

It's not dead. It's dormant, sure, but not dead as we're still getting new ancillary material. Just because there's no new show doesn't mean the franchise is done with. We get new novels and now the new RPG coming out. They might not be for everyone, but content is there for those who appreciate content outside of just the TV.

And though MGM and the world situation get in the way, we also know TPTB are trying to get a new show made. So a return is possible.

We're not in the grave yet. I doubt we will be for a while.
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

It's also a matter though of how many fans those new things will reach and how well they'll be received.

Of course it is nice that there is going to be an RPG and a new show maybe - but I think if they will only be noticed and cared about by a minority of the actual fans around the world, that may not have the desired effects to make Stargate more than a nice memory once again

Comment

...vacation in the sarcophagus...
                            Sounds like the definition of a lockdown.

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                            And though MGM and the world situation get in the way, we also know TPTB are trying to get a new show made. So a return is possible.
                            I classify that under "false hope" -- something I no longer fall into as far as TRAP's go.

Comment

You say that as if they're deliberately trying to catch you in a trap. What purpose would that serve? None. They're asked about what's happening, and they're honestly telling you. We're trying, we're this close.
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Working...
                              X