Which version Stargate fan are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Stargate shows and movies have gone through some interesting changes since the inception of the franchise in 1994 with the original movie. We have seen the rise a variety of fans with those changes. Stargate has been with us long enough now that we even have different generations of fans.

This poll can provide a glance into which of the shows/movies that GW forum users enjoy viewing.

When voting, you do not have to consider yourself a big fan of any of the productions but if you simply enjoyed viewing any of them, go ahead and include them in your vote. This also includes specific seasons. If you enjoyed only certain seasons of a show, go ahead and include that show in your vote. You can explain which ones - including movies, shows, and seasons within shows - you like more or less in your reply.

Given the 4 live action productions that have been released as of the date that this poll has been posted, dating from 1994 to 2011, those productions have created 15 possible versions of viewers who have enjoyed Stargate.

Within the poll, both “Stargate” and “SG94” refer to Stargate, the original movie that was released in 1994, and “SG1” includes the series and the SG1 movies. SGA and SGU are, of course, short for Atlantis and Universe.

After voting, if you decide that you would like to change your vote, please post a reply indicating such and ask for a moderator to change your vote. If you are currently a Probie, although you may not presently have the vote feature available to you, you are also welcome to vote, just indicate what your vote is in a reply. After you leave Probie status, you can then vote on an option within the poll.

Here are some basic questions for everybody that responds:

Without sharing negative thoughts about any of the productions that you might dislike, which productions and seasons (of the productions that you voted for) do you like more? Why?

What if... events occurred differently in Stargate? | Which version Stargate fan are you?
    Stargate (SG94)
    0.00%
    Stargate SG-1
    10.75%
    Stargate Atlantis
    7.53%
    Stargate Universe
    0.00%
    SG94 + SG1
    3.23%
    SG94 + SGA
    0.00%
    SG94 + SGU
    1.08%
    SG1 + SGA
    21.51%
    SG1 + SGU
    6.45%
    SGA + SGU
    0.00%
    SG94 + SG1 + SGA
    12.90%
    SG94 + SG1 + SGU
    2.15%
    SG94 + SGA + SGU
    0.00%
    SG1 + SGA + SGU
    13.98%
    SG94 + SG1 + SGA + SGU
    20.43%
    Last edited by Dr. D.; 04 September 2012, 09:57 AM.
    Are you in the Kansas City area? Do you know any SG fans in the area?
    Email me and join the local group of Stargate enthusiasts! (Email address in my profile.)
    What if... events occurred differently in Stargate? | Which version Stargate fan are you?
    An all new crew: Who would you want MGM to hire for a new Stargate show or movie(s)?
    When have you met SG cast or crew (excluding conventions)?
    Stargate Enthusiasts in the Kansas City Area | Being Introduced to Stargate

Whilst I wait for the poll to be added. I noticed that there is a Stargate series missing from your list. It is the animated series Stargate Infinity. Because there maybe some Stargate fans who actually liked it. Although some dismiss it as non-canon.
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Indeed, and there are also some fans who are very specicif about which seasons they like. Some love SG-1 apart from season 6 with Quinn, others don't like the seasons without O'Neill in charge of the team, etc. This could get very complicated.
      sigpic

Comment

If Dr.D wants other options added,that's certainly do-able.

That said,I'd guess from post 1 that he wants a general "Which version(s) of SG did/do you most enjoy?" response,not a list of reasons why one part of a show or a character "ruined" 'Gate for any of us personally.
        The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

This is a very good question. I had a good long think before voting for SG-1.

I like the original film but I wouldn't say that I'm a fan, likewise SG-A. SG-U I struggled with and never really got into. And don't get me started on Stargate Infinity!

SG-1 was the show that got me into GW so I could discuss it. I bought Sky so I could watch it. The phone was turned to silent when it was on so I wasn't interrupted. I have been to conventions specifically to see SG-1 actors.

All this leads me to say I was and am an SG-1 fan.
          sigpic

Comment

I voted all of them for one simple reason, if a stargate is in there, im gonna watch it. Without the movie we wouldnt have had the series. Without SG1, no SGA or SGU. I cant like every single episodes, but i love everything stargate.

Bottom line, the fact that we have opinions means that we care.

Comment

All of them. I haven't seen Infinity yet so I can't judge that one. Granted, there are a few episodes I dislike in each show and a few characters I'm not too keen on, but I still find SG in all its guises more enjoyable than most TV out there.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                Whilst I wait for the poll to be added. I noticed that there is a Stargate series missing from your list. It is the animated series Stargate Infinity. Because there maybe some Stargate fans who actually liked it. Although some dismiss it as non-canon.
                I think adding that is a little bit pedantic. I'm not sure there's anyone on here that'd vote for it and even if there was, why stop at SGI? Why not add other non-canon but officially released things like: Fandominum books, Big Finish Audio series, Comics, RPG, Resistance, Bill Mckay, SNES game? etc etc

ETA: people dismiss it as non-canon because it can't be canon. It was made before S6 of SG-1, before we really knew about the Ancients. So the Ancients in the show are weird green alien things. I'm sure there's other things but I haven't watched the entire series.

Anyway the actual point of this thread... I voted for SG1+SGA. SGU never really grabbed me, I couldn't case less that it ended prematurely. It's an entirely different story for shows that ended prematurely that I do care about *looks at Firefly*. I found SG94 (good abbreviation for it btw) mediocre. SG1 and SGA on the other hand are 2 of my favourite series, and I am a bit annoyed that SGA still has hanging storylines (even if they're very minor compared to SGU's).
                Last edited by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac; 02 September 2012, 02:37 AM.
                Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Loved the movie of course because it started the Stargate concept.
                  Loved SG1 the best. It was the most entertaining for me, although the last two seasons were not my favorites. I liked the old team SG1 better. Never really got into SGA, cause of the Wraith , and SGU just annoyed me, I was constantly annoyed at Rush.
                  no means no, and so does pepper spray
                  Sig by The Carpenter
                  sigpic

Comment

All of them. I love all three series as well as the movie. The movie set it all up, and SG1 continued with it. Loved all ten seasons of it. Enjoyed Atlantis very much, LOVE Universe. So yeah, I'm good with all four

Comment

I updated the original post regarding the mention of specific seasons within shows:

Originally posted by Dr. D. View Post
                      When voting, you do not have to consider yourself a big fan of any of the productions but if you simply enjoyed viewing any of them, go ahead and include them in your vote. This also includes specific seasons. If you enjoyed only certain seasons of a show, go ahead and include that show in your vote. You can explain which ones - including movies, shows, and seasons within shows - you like more or less in your reply.
                      Another quick update, I slightly revised the 2nd question in the original post...

Without sharing negative thoughts about any of the productions that you might dislike, which productions and seasons (of the productions that you voted for) do you like more? Why?
                      ...so it now includes "and seasons"

Another update -

Instead of plugging in another reply, since I just added my response to the original post, I'll go ahead and reply to some of the previous replies in this reply. (I think I just went cross-eyed. )

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                      I noticed that there is a Stargate series missing from your list. It is the animated series Stargate Infinity.
                      True, though that was intentionally left out as this poll is specific to "live action" Stargate productions:

Given the 4 live action productions....
                      ...though, of course, anyone who likes the Infinity cartoon is welcome to add that to their reply.

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                      Indeed, and there are also some fans who are very specicif about which seasons they like. Some love SG-1 apart from season 6 with Quinn, others don't like the seasons without O'Neill in charge of the team, etc. This could get very complicated.
                      Very good point. I've updated the original post, thank you for bringing that up. It doesn't need to get complicated. The poll is simple. The replies that we provide can get into all the nitty-gritty details of which seasons we like more and why.

With SG1, for example, if a voter enjoys seasons A-B but not seasons C-D, then go ahead and vote for SG1 but discuss seasons A-B within the reply.

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
                      Loved the movie of course because it started the Stargate concept.
                      Loved SG1 the best. It was the most entertaining for me, although the last two seasons were not my favorites. I liked the old team SG1 better. Never really got into SGA, cause of the Wraith , and SGU just annoyed me, I was constantly annoyed at Rush.
                      The changes that occurred in the later years of SG1 helped prepare me for the changes that occurred with SGA and SGU. I've always enjoyed the Ori story arc but it was initially a bit of a challenge getting used to Cam and, then, Vala. Likewise, there were a number of pretty obvious changes between SG1 and SGA, generally speaking, and the changes that occurred in the middle years of SG1 - i.e., season 6 - helped prepare me for SGA. It took a while to get used to the Wraith. And then SGU, the game changer of the SG shows, big changes. By that point, the Stargate franchise had gone through so many changes that I accepted the changes and just stuck with it. I just remind myself that if I ever want them to go back to a previous version of the shows or movies, then all I have to do is pop in one of my SG DVDs and watch the old stuff again.
                      Last edited by Dr. D.; 02 September 2012, 07:42 AM.
                      Email me and join the local group of Stargate enthusiasts! (Email address in my profile.)
                      An all new crew: Who would you want MGM to hire for a new Stargate show or movie(s)?

Comment

I'll go ahead and vote, and put in my response.

SG94 + SG1 + SGA + SGU

Without sharing negative thoughts about any of the productions that you might dislike, which productions and seasons (of the ones that you voted for) do you like more? Why?
                        I enjoy seeing Stargate, Stargate SG-1, SG1's The Ark of Truth and Continuum, Stargate Atlantis, and Stargate Universe as if they are one very large novel or a series of novels. Book 1, SG94. Book 2, SG1. Book 3, SGA. Book 4, SGU. The different seasons (and the SG1 movies) could be Parts 1, 2, and so on, while the different episodes would be Chapters 1, 2, and so on. Of course, that wasn't the case when Stargate was released and when the series were airing but it's interesting how they relate. The only oddball one in the bunch is SG1's Final Cut of CotG, though I like watching that by itself when in need of a SG1-based quick fix. Otherwise, I only watch the original version of CotG when I make my way through re-watching that show.

Which ones do I like more and why? I'd say Stargate simply for it being the beginning of the franchise but, beyond that, I'm definitely more into SG1 than the other shows. My initial reaction to SGA, when it started airing, was a bit turned off to the show but I still watched it and, eventually it grew on me and now I love the show almost as much as SG1. A similar reaction happened with SGU, given the changes that they made, though it also eventually grew on me and I love that show almost as much as the others. There are aspects of SGU that I enjoy more than the other productions. However, there's a certain je ne sais quoi about the original Stargate and SG1 that will always stand out to me.

In a way, I also see them as a full course meal:

Stargate is the appetizer,
                        SG1 is the main course,
                        SGA is the dessert, and
                        SGU is the fine glass of wine served after the meal.

Comment

Well now the poll is up I have added my vote.
                          I am a fan of the franchise as a whole. So I voted SG94+SG1+SGA+SGU. I do have Infinity on DVD.
                          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                          To thy own self... Be true
                          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

I voted SG1+SGA+SGU, I love all three series pretty much equally. I like the Stargate movie too, but I prefer all three tv series over it.
                            sigpic

Comment

I vote we stop calling the (original) film SG94, unless were talking about the 94th stargate team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X