Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion of Answers from "Ask Joe Mallozzi" - Spoilers/Speculation for SG-1 and SGA

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nathanaus
    Hi Joe,

Amazing you take the time to talk to us, thank you for that.

I have a different type of question for you.

How did you get involved with the show? Did someone call you up one day and say "Hey remember that movie in 94 called Stargate? You want to write for the Tv series?"

I'm curious on how you got involved in writing TV scripts, how you got into SG1. Why writing as opposed to acting? What made little Joe one day decided he wanted to be a writer when his friends wanted to be firemen.

Second question do you have a web site? where we can see what you have worked on, read your bio etc?

Third and last question - which do you prefer, writing or producing? Why?

The actors are great and all, but they are presenting what the writers give them. It's the writer that truely makes a show (In my opinion). I think being a writer for a Science Fiction show would be an amazing experience.

Thank you kindly for your time.
    Our agent phoned us up one day and told us he had a client on a show called Stargate SG-1 (one Robert Cooper) and wondered if we were familiar with the show and would like to pitch. Paul and I were familiar with the show (but being less than impressed with the episode we'd seen - Emancipation). We ended up watching other episodes of the show and realized that it was a fun, clever series. We pitched out some ideas and our first script - Scorched Earth - landed us a staff position.

I don't have a website. IMDB have some of my credits but they're not up-to-date. By the way, if you're checking the site, my birthday is Oct. 16, not Oct. 15 (in the event you're planning a surprise party).

As for choosing between writing and producing...I can't say I prefer one over the other. I like certain aspects of writing and producing - and dislike other aspects.

Comment

Originally posted by Dana_Jeanne
      Hey Joe--
      Who puts together the commercials that Sci Fi runs every day for SG1? Is it someone at Sci Fi, or one of the editors at Bridge?
      Thanks-
      Dana Jeanne
      We have nothing to do with the commercials. That's all SciFi.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
        Hi Joe,

A couple of Stargate Atlantis questions....

1) What are the chances of Carl Binder writing more scripts in season 2? He's written some really great ones in season 1, and I'd love to see him continue.

2) Will Sgt. Bates, head of security, be back for season 2? Defintely hoping Dr. Zelenka continues in the series as well. Well, that's three questions, really... Thanks.
        1. Good new for you Carl Binder fans. He has joined the writing staff and is hard at work on some new Atlantis stories.

2. If I told you everyone who'd be back, I'd be ruining the back half of season 1 for you. Suffice it to say...there will be changes at the Atlantis base. And, oh yeah - an unexpected loss. For the who and how, check out the big season finale Siege I and II.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
          Hi Joe - does anyone at SG1 take into account any of the things fans comment on, especially the longstanding, loyal fans who have stuck with SG1 from the beginning so that it could continue to grow and expand its fanbase? Would there ever be a conversation behind the scenes where you guys would say to each other - gee there was such a negative fan reaction to that we should change it, or such a positive reaction to that, we should expand on it? If there has been such an instance, or instances, can you share what they were?

Thanks again for visiting and taking time to respond.
          Some of us do check out the boards on occasion to get a sense of what the fans thought of a particular episode, but we don't let online opinion shape the show - mainly because for every 100 posters who liked an episode, there are usually about a 100 posters who didn't. I've often said "You can't please all of the people all of the time".

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            Thanks for the answers, Joe. 'Tis always appreciated.

Will Weir still be in command of Atlantis next season? There seems to be some question about that...
            For the answer to that one, check out season two of Atlantis, natch.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              LOL

thanks for stopping by Joe, i've gotten more than one chuckle out of your answers.

I have a question about the official novels from fandemonium. Rumor has it that they have to be approved by mgm, tptb, someone.....do you guys know anything about them or does anyone have anything to do with them?
              They're no doubt approved by someone at MGM, but gang at The Bridge is not involved in the approval process.

Comment

Originally posted by Buc252
                Hi, Joe. First-time poster here. I've been hesitant to say anything, but this one was just dying for a comment.

I have to ask, why is it that TPTB on SG1 have been so unconsidering of the Jonas' fans requests that he return full time? His talents - he was primarily a diplomat who *learned* Daniel's craft so he could substitute for him, which means he doesn't *have to* fulfill the sam function as Daniel - could become very handy now that we're dealing more with the galaxy at large.

In addition, the writers went out of their way to show us just how much Jonas missed going out into the universe with SG1 in Fallen. Seems to me that it was the perfect opening for bringing him back at least in a recurring roll like Janet. (Presuming, of course, that Corin would agree after all that's happened.) Jonas had great chemistry with the other team members, and honestly, if there's no S/J ship or Jack (or very little) in S9, this would be the only thing that would keep me interested.

Which brings me to another question that went unanswered earlier in the thread - the ship. What's going on with it? If you read the S/J ship thread, you'll see that fans have disproven - fact by fact from the Air Force manuals themselves - that they *can* get together without breaking regs. (And that's not even allowing for options like one of them retiring or simply getting out of the same chain of command.) So will it ever happen?

Thank you for coming and answering our questions.

Like the Furlings and the Nox, Jonas can very well make an appearance in the near future - if the right story comes along. As things stand, he's got his hands full back on his homeworld.

As for the ship - why don't we reserve any future discussion on the matter until after season 8.

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
                  Hi Joe

I have a question regarding recurring characters. Will we be seeing Bra'tac, Jacob/ Selmak, Rya'c or Ishta next year?
                  Also, is there any possibility of guest spots by Michael Welsh??? I loved him as mini Jack, and he is a superb actor! I know he's filming Joan of Arcadia, but it'd be great to see him on SG1 again!

I was gonna ask about S/J ship, but that's already been asked.

Thanks for taking the time to talk to all of us!

Suz
                  In no particular order - maybe, maybe, impossible, probably, and definitely.

Comment

Originally posted by SueS
                    I guess this means she doesn't die at the end of this 5 story arc.

There's going to be quite a few changes at the beginning of S9 that will have to be explained in some form or other. Jack (RDA's) absence, a new base commander, Sam (AT's) temporary absence, a new leader of SG-1, Vala as a temporary member of SG-1, etc. I'm assuming these changes will be explained in the first one or two episode of the season.

As a writer, how do you tackle the challenge of explaining or incorporating all these changes to the audience while keeping the story moving? Were you or are you involved in writing the season opener? Can you give us a hint or two of the kinds of stories you are pitching?

Finally, I haven't seen it myself, but there's a new promo for the second half of S8 that ends with a shot of RDA, AT, and CJ, but no MS. Do you have any idea why it was done this way? (i.e Why no MS?) Okay, I'm guessing you probably don't, but maybe you could find out ... Also, you might want to let the promotion dept. and/or customer service dept know there are a lot of people who are not too happy about this and they should expect to receive a lot of emails, snail mail and phone calls about it.

SueS
                    All of the writers get together and pitch out ideas for the first half of the season, then sit down and "break" the individual stories (which amounts to sitting in a room for hours and plotting the scripts, scene by scene, until a) we have an outline, b) Paul gets hungry, c) Damian starts to weep uncontrollably. Then we take a break and start again).

As for the SciFi commercial. No idea there. We have little if anything to do with the SciFi promos, commercials, or catchy slogans (remember "Another week, another universe"?). However, like us, SciFi values the fans. So, if you're upset with a promo, or were annoyed by a commercial for an upcoming episode that spoiled the episode by giving away the fourth act twist - let them know. And "consider it done".

Comment

MS was probably busy that day. There's no way in hell that it's an intentional slight. But if he was off filming another show/movie or being with his wife and kidlets or... caught in traffic or whatever and couldn't make it in to film the promos, then... give 'em the benefit of a doubt, eh? It was probably the only day RDA was available.

Speaking of the Ancients (thanks for the reminder, somme), if SG-1 is taking over the story of the Ancients, then what's left for the Atlantis crew to do? Or will they BOTH be exploring the Ancients/Atlanteans?
                      Both shows share their mythology, so watch for more revelations about the Ancients on SG-1 and Atlantis.

Comment

Which is exactly why I eat them. They're the perfect complement to my sickeningly sweet personality.

And yeah, Joe's a great guy. I just happen to know of that one weakness of his (shared by several of his co-workers, if I'm remembering correctly).

So Joe, just to get this back on topic, what's the difference (structurally, time-wise, whatever) between writing for animation and writing for a live-action series?

Were you a Richard Scarry fan before you worked on the Busy World of Richard Scarry?

I'm sure you've been asked these before, but I can't remember the answers...
                        In terms of formatting, there is not difference between writing for animation and writing for live action. Structurally, however, the difference is in the type of show you are writing for, be two 12 minute animated segments, a half hour sitcom, or a one hour drama. Also, different shows within those varied genres may time in at roughly the same page count, but may break down differently. On Stargate, each script has a tease and two acts. Buffy, on the other hand, had a tease and four acts.

I was familiar with Richard Scarry's work before writing for The Busy World of Richard Scarry, my very first script sale (Patrick Pig Learns to Talk) - but I was always more of a George Marshall fan.

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                          Mr. Mallozzi,
                          What's with all the food references? Do you guys not eat there?

Donuts- Chimera
                          Turkey Sandwiches- The Other Guys, Rising 2, (and another SGA episode....the one were the find the opening in the hangar bay's cieling...can't think of it...)
                          Ice Cream- Natural Selection
                          Beer- Chain Reaction, Lost City 1
                          Pie- Numerous refrences
                          Citric Acid (found in LEMON CHICKEN!)- 48 Hours, Rising 2
                          Potatoes- Lockdown
                          Pizza- Ascension
                          Avecado- Affinity (Teal'c nailed "purse snatcher" in the head with it)

I'm sure there's others, just can't think of them all.

So....what's up with you guys and food!? Are you guys not allowed to eat until you finish scripts, or do you all just love food and like to incorporate your favorite items into scripts.
                          - Steve
                          We're big on eating. Paul and I each put on 15 lbs in the first year of production. The catering is that good.

As for some of the specific food references:

The doughnut in Chimera - well, what would a stake-out be without doughnuts. It was a theme we wanted to be consistent with, having already set this up in Point of No Return.

Potatoes in Lockdown - I wanted to find some seemingly insignificant problem that JAck, as the new CO, would have to deal with. I was inspired by the potatoes my sister made for Christmas dinner that year - that had the consistency of paper mache.

Comment

As folks know, Joe has been visting us lately and answering questions in this thread
                            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=1254

to keep things as nice and streamlined as possible, i encourage anyone who wishes to discuss his answers to do so here.

You can link back to pertinant answers, or c/p them into this thread so folks know what you're talking about.

Hopefully, this will be a happy medium, folks can discuss what Joe tells us, without bogging down the question thread with the discussion

Ooh, and i think it should to without saying that this thread WILL have spoilers/speculation for any and all episodes of Stargate or Atlantis, both past and future episodes

Please use spoiler tags where necessary and please respect each others' points of view
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Great! Now we can yap all we want about Joe's answers without him stumbling over our comments in search of new questions.

Comment

The new writers he mentions, do you suppose they're freelancers or joining the proper writing staff?

Comment

Working...
                                X