This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Margaret
    Come to think of it, the stargate was discovered in Giza in 1928.

Is there some treaty covering ancient artifacts that would require the United States to return it?

And if someone were to argue that *that* stargate was destroyed, shouldn't the United States give the Egyptians the replacement model?
    I think Egyptian Law was changed after finding Tut's tomb that no treasure could leave the country although I don't know if they would consider a big metal ring to be a treasure. They could have claimed it was lost or destroyed in WWII. The Germans found the DHD and that was taken by the Russians, which was probably listed as lost or destroyed.

Comment

<< Yes, there is a protection clause that states that artefacts should be returned to their home countries, particularly if the artefact is of a religious nature or if they are human remains. In the real world, this is often ignored, particularly if it is a richer country that has 'stolen' the artefact. The less developed country are often paid to shut up about it or are 'encouraged' to sign a lease which allows the artefact to stay where it is. >>

It's like the UK with the Elgin Marbles - which you're not getting back by the way (to any Greeks who happen to read this)! We stole them fair and square! You could also say the same about the so-called Cleopatra's Needles in London and Washington and possibly Paris (not sure about that one). I say we all just let by-gones be by-gones - we'll promise not to steal any more provided they stop complaining about the ones we've already stolen.
      sum ergo cogitum
      I am therefore I think.

Comment

According to 2001, he spent some time in Wales on a dig and can presumably read Ancient Celtic so he gets around a bit! Mind out of the gutter people!!
        I am not disorganised, I have anti-systematic methodology disorder.

Comment

Originally posted by Coz
          According to 2001, he spent some time in Wales on a dig and can presumably read Ancient Celtic so he gets around a bit! Mind out of the gutter people!!
          Loved that weird connection - I spenat a year in Wales 1999-2000 and worked...at an Egyptian museum! I also learned Welsh (the Celtic language) - and the Ancient sort of Welsh doesn't look anything like what Daniel found in the newspaper in "2001" - booh! Hiss!

@Sparki101: Cool to have some more people around here who reall DO archaeology - I'm a linguist and Egyptologist postgrad. There is indeed a place called Naqada, it's where some of the earliest predynastic stuff has been found and it's used for dating pots - I always thought it funny that the village on Abydos was called Nagada in SG, and the quartz stuff Naquada...the q and g are interchangeable in Egyptian Arabic depending on where you come from...ooops, I'm drifting off...

@Mr Prophet: You sound like you know the head of the Antiquities Service in Egypt When Daniel was probably excavating in Egypt, if he's ever done that, they still had someone else there, not today's Mr. H.

Thanks to bling for the great sig!
          Proud Hussy of Babylon (tm) and resident linguist
          ~CELLO!~
          ~Proud member of the official Dr Radek Zelenka Fan Club!~

Comment

Originally posted by Iskandra
            @Mr Prophet: You sound like you know the head of the Antiquities Service in Egypt When Daniel was probably excavating in Egypt, if he's ever done that, they still had someone else there, not today's Mr. H.
            Not personally, but one of my housemates is doing a PhD in archaeology. I haven't studied Egypt properly since my undergraduacy under Barry Kemp; I'm just an interested amateur now.
            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

@Mr Prophet: Whoah! Barry Kemp! I would have liked that....you probably did a lot of Amarna stuff then, right?

Ah....maybe I should stop switching into Daniel geek mode whenever someone mentions Egypt.... *blush*

Thanks to bling for the great sig!
              Proud Hussy of Babylon (tm) and resident linguist
              ~CELLO!~
              ~Proud member of the official Dr Radek Zelenka Fan Club!~

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                I'd guess that his life kind of emptied out as he drifted away from the archaeological mainstream. Since he has a real passion for his subject, it must have been a real kick in the head to see his work being taken away from him: No digs because the Head of Antiquities wouldn't let him near a tomb or a temple; no research grants; no support from his colleagues.
                Especially when his work is all he had. He had no family to speak of. He probably had few if any real friends--colleagues, acquaintances but real friends who would just be there for HIM? Probably not. His work was everything and it was gone too, or at least a way for him to really continue working on what drove him. I'm sure it wouldn't have been too hard for Mr. 23+ Languages to land himself a job translating something somewhere--just sort of existing.

Comment

Originally posted by epiphany
                  Especially when his work is all he had. He had no family to speak of. He probably had few if any real friends--colleagues, acquaintances but real friends who would just be there for HIM? Probably not. His work was everything and it was gone too, or at least a way for him to really continue working on what drove him. I'm sure it wouldn't have been too hard for Mr. 23+ Languages to land himself a job translating something somewhere--just sort of existing.
                  I think in the novelisation of the movie he was dating the girl from the petrol station kiosk...

And yes, Iskandra, there was a fair bit of Armana in the course (surprisingly). He's a rum cove, Mr Kemp; knows his stuff but doesn't have a lot of time for students. He's supervising my friend Henrie on her PhD at the moment; apparently trying to organise a supervision is an adventure in itself.
                  Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                  - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Well, technically and documentably it was the creation of an ancient - in fact, the Ancient - alien race, and therefore belongs to the world (ho-ho). I only cited this in a sarcastic fashion as a possible rebuttal by the US govmint; presumably accompanied by a tacit invitation for Egypt to come and have a go if they think they're hard enough.

Actually, thinking of rivalries and alternate claims, I'm surprised the Army and the Navy have never tried to get in on the act. The Marines get a team, why not the USN?
                    The Marines are part of the Department of the Navy. In addition to their other tasks, they provide security for Naval Stations and warships. When I served in the Navy aboard USS Fox in the mid to late 60's, we always had Marines on board to guard the top secret communications room whenever we carried CTs. So, although there are intra-service rivalries between Sailors and Marines, there is no inter-service rivalry. So if the Marines are involved, the Navy Department is involved.

Of course, the Navy is much more experienced in running Cruisers and Battleships than the Airforce. After all, we don't expect to come home after a few horus of operation. Prometheus should really be cammanding by a Navy Captain, and should be the flagship for a Flag Officer rather then a General Officer.
                    Last edited by priornavalperson; 21 May 2004, 05:47 PM. Reason: The %^$$#$&*() keyboard

Comment

@Sparki101: Cool to have some more people around here who reall DO archaeology .

Yup. I *heart* archaeology. My course is more archaeological practice than theory, so we go on alot more excavtions and do more practical stuff.

Sparki * In her really cool, super-duper archaeological shades. Rather like Jack's.......but better*
                      Last edited by Sparki101; 21 May 2004, 10:28 PM.
                      Honk if you love cheese

Comment

This brings our hero to the beginning of the movie. Disillusioned, destitute and miserable, with nothing to his name but a few old papers, two suitcases and a pretty face.
                        Poetic!
                        Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Loved that weird connection - I spenat a year in Wales 1999-2000 and worked...at an Egyptian museum! I also learned Welsh (the Celtic language) - and the Ancient sort of Welsh doesn't look anything like what Daniel found in the newspaper in "2001" - booh! Hiss!

Where? I'm at Lampeter University, is the museum anywhere near there?
                          Honk if you love cheese

Comment

I knew there were archeologists and Egyptologists around here! Hi Iskandra.

When I was in Egypt, I found the Egyptian people to be strangely separated from their ancient heritage. I don't really think they thought of themselves as decendant from the ancient Egyptians. I know new groups, and religions moved in, but if I had that great heritage, I'd be proud!

I personally wanted that mosque moved out of the middle of the Temple at Karnak. I also wanted the limestone that was stripped from the pyramids returned. Napolean annoyed me because he took so much stuff, but he also dug Karnak and The Sphinx out of the sand, and his scientists found the Rosetta stone (Egyptologists, please correct me if I'm in error).

Back to fiction. I think the Stargate was removed before the law was created, but it would make an interesting plot twist if the Egyptian government found out about it! And they should in the eighth season.
                            Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu
                              I personally wanted that mosque moved out of the middle of the Temple at Karnak. .
                              Theres a MacDonalds behind the temple of Luxor
                              Honk if you love cheese

Comment

Did any of you go to the Cairo museum? Our group only had a couple of hours in there but that was really quite something.
                                We also went to Giza(of course) Luxor,Saqqara, Karnak, Edfu,Thebes, Memphis, Abydos, the mortuary temple of Hapshepsut, the Elephantine Island, Valley of the Kings and Alexandria (which was my personal favourite). I wanted to go to Abel-Simbal but we didn't have enought time.
                                Honk if you love cheese

Comment

Working...
                                X