This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGC Perks

I was just wondering if SGC personnel get to go offworld for non-duty reasons, and more to the point, wondering what the rest of you think.

To elaborate: as I remember it (a dangerous phrase) in Shades Of Grey, O'Neill retires and eventually requests that he be allowed to retire offworld due to being bored and uncomfortable on Earth, a request that is granted.

Admittedly, it's all a ruse to get O'Neill inside the NID offworld operation so he can bring it down, but it got me wondering.

SGC personnel have arguably the most dangerous and unpredictable jobs on the planet - given the huge risks they take, the very likely decreased life expectancy, and the secrecy involved...would SGC staff be afforded the right to use offworld locations for personal use (vacation, retirement....real estate!)?

Or, was this a very special case due to O'Neill's service, achievements etc...or just a very, very special case due to needing to get him offworld to join the NID operation?
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
    Or, was this a very special case due to O'Neill's service, achievements etc...or just a very, very special case due to needing to get him offworld to join the NID operation?
    Yes for the former. Even more yes for the latter.

I would hope that after all of his service, he would be allowed to retire off-world to be with his bit of fluff even if it weren't a ruse to get him off-world and into the hands of the NID.

Comment

In a word, no. Since the SGC is run by the military, offworld sites are considered military installations. Jack was allowed to "retire" offworld as a ploy, not legitimately.

I'm sure SG-1 has the pick of the litter if they want to live offworld, but I'm sure that perk is not extended to other teams.

Comment

yes o'niell was a special case. the reason he was let go so easily is becuase hammond was in on the ploy.

But i agree. i think that they should be able to take some R and R offworld. there are plenty of planets that would make great destinations like the planet argos with all those beaches or even the land of light and i am sure there are plenty more that would be perfectly safe for use to relax. and if they are paranoid, just send multiple people to the same location and have them watch each others backs.

Comment

Originally posted by apollo22 View Post
          yes o'niell was a special case. the reason he was let go so easily is becuase hammond was in on the ploy.

But i agree. i think that they should be able to take some R and R offworld. there are plenty of planets that would make great destinations like the planet argos with all those beaches or even the land of light and i am sure there are plenty more that would be perfectly safe for use to relax. and if they are paranoid, just send multiple people to the same location and have them watch each others backs.
          I can definitely see R&R for gate soldiers, but I can't see permanant settlement on a world outside of earth. There is too much of a security risk. Though, I think SG-1 pretty much has free rein over what they want when they retire. I doubt they even pay taxes at this point.

Comment

They should get R&R on the planet Shepp. was resupplying on the Episode "Travelers" or on Anise's (Tok'ra hottie) planet, both planets in which the people have very little to no sexual inhibitions.

Comment

I'm sure they can now probably convince the general to let them take R&R off world or even retire now that the ori and the guaold are gone there are really no threats they have to worry about. The Stargate can be more of an exploration and travel device just not a device to find new technologies.
              I'm gonna miss SG1..
              Season 10, Simply amazing... Bring on the movies

The ori are going down!!!

Comment

in the 200th episode they used it for recreational purposes, but not everyone considers i cannon for obvious reasons
                Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X