No announcement yet.

General Ship ( Relationship) Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, I'm sure it isn't meant to be malicious, but it makes the characters less human to me when they're reduced to some silly, ridiculous name combo. I don't mind jokey pairings, but I find things like "McWeir" (and similar combos)so completely lacking in dignity that I can't even consider it in a light-hearted way.

Now, if you want to talk McKay/Weir ship, I might be willing to listen, but McWeir?! Forget it. I may have a sense of humor but things like that are too stupid to me to be amusing.

Comment

Not exactly a burning issue with me, but yeah it's kind of silly. Maybe it didn't happen on SG-1 because "Jam" and "Sack" sound pretty stupid.

I think it's just a trend for the shippers - something new and different to play around with.

The silliest one I've heard is for Clark and Lex on Smallville. They're called "Clex" apparently. *g*

Maybe I'll ship Ford and Teyla and call them "Tord". Going to be hard to find a match for Zelensky.

Ah for the good old days when I just had to figure out what slash was.
      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
        Maybe it didn't happen on SG-1 because "Jam" and "Sack" sound pretty stupid.
        I may have to start using those two just to annoy Shadow. They might actually have a nice ring to them in the anti-ship threads.

Guess I’m not reading the right threads cause I haven’t run across those above mentioned word pairings. It wouldn’t really bother me though. They can have their fun.
        IMO always implied.

Comment

I'm replying to a post from 'Sam's a great character - spoilers for *ALL* seasons' thread here because it's more appropriate. Here's the post: http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....2&postcount=53

spoilers for s7's chimera, and s8's affinity

Originally posted by graculus
          I agree that Pete crossed the line in investigating Sam, but I think anyone with his resources would be tempted.
          Just because he was tempted doesn't mean he should have done it. And that really is the issue here: should he have done this? The only motivation I saw on his part was stubbornness/selfishness. If you know otherwise about his motivations, please let me know.

I don't go for lunch meeting these day without expecting that the other person googled me. This is a society that lurches wildly between ideas of security and privacy, the power of knowledge and terror of the stranger.
          I could understand him doing it at the beginning of their relationship, but to do it after he'd slept with her, and only because she wouldn't tell him what he wanted... Well, that just isn't very nice to me. Or respectful.

Pete had to face up to what he did, though, and Sam forgave him.

I wish we would have 'seen' that scene. I might have forgiven him myself if I were Sam, but 'only' after having quite a talk with him. That little blurb he made about stalking in Affinity really did nothing. But I've seen this show not show the consequences or after effects of things before, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. But, Sam's my fave character, and she seemed out of character in accepting shoddy treatment.

Jack, on the other hand, seems to be uncomfortable with Sam's intelligence, and sometimes he's outright mean to her.
          When?

He must have had a hand in getting Pete SGC clearance, too.
          He might have, but that's just another example of things being left to the viewer to put together. Just from the other storyline going on in Chimera too - what the heck happened to Osiris/Sarah? I'm not a fan of Chimera, but I could come up with quite a few questions I'd like to see answered just on the Daniel/Osiris part of this ep.

I'm sure Jack wants the best for Sam, and he seems to think that the best is someone other than himself with Sam.
          Maybe. Maybe not. I'm a huge fan of the Sam/Jack ship, and even I don't know what's going on in their heads all the time (and this includes the characters AND the writers writing them). And according to spoilers, the S/J issue will be resolved in future eps.

Sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

The only motivation I saw on his part was stubbornness/selfishness.
            IMHO, people act stubborn and selfish sometimes. I'm willing to give Pete the same leeway I would give anyone else.

and only because she wouldn't tell him what he wanted...
            I agree - I could see why his first marriage ended in divorce at that moment, lol.

That little blurb he made about stalking in Affinity really did nothing.
            ITA to the max. I also felt that this line was pandering to fans, and I hate it when a TV show makes me feel self-conscious about my participation in fandom. I'm just assuming Sam thought it out and forgave him because she's still with him.

But, Sam's my fave character, and she seemed out of character in accepting shoddy treatment.
            I also like to see Sam stand up for herself. I wish I could pull out the string of Jack examples that you want, but I'm really more into Daniel, so I don't have the Jack examples at my fingertips. One example that comes to mind is that during Enemy Mine, Jack minimizes Sam's overhaul of the Gate Diagnostic System.

- what the heck happened to Osiris/Sarah? I'm not a fan of Chimera, but I could come up with quite a few questions I'd like to see answered just on the Daniel/Osiris part of this ep.
            From your mouth to the ear of TPTB. I really wanted to see Daniel work through his grief over Shar'e through helping Sarah and struggling to understand what she went through.

I'm a huge fan of the Sam/Jack ship
            I'm not, but I certainly understand where the Sam/Jack ship comes from. My best Stargate friend is a Sam/Daniel person, and I don't really see that, either - though I am more personally partial to Daniel. I genuinely like Sam/Pete best.

spoilers, the S/J issue will be resolved in future eps.
            I'm still voting that resolution goes in favor of Pete, though.

Later,
            Graculus

Comment

In favor of Pete? You're kidding, right? A happy ending for Pete is about as likely as a happy ending for the Jonasarians. In other words, "not a chance in the nine hells".

Comment

Originally posted by graculus
                IMHO, people act stubborn and selfish sometimes. I'm willing to give Pete the same leeway I would give anyone else.
                I know if I actually liked Pete, I'd let this go more easily. For me, as an S/J shipper, all Pete represents to me is to show me what I'm missing with Sam/Jack. The character was lost to me before I ever laid eyes on him.

ITA to the max. I also felt that this line was pandering to fans, and I hate it when a TV show makes me feel self-conscious about my participation in fandom. I'm just assuming Sam thought it out and forgave him because she's still with him.
                What's ITA mean? And yes, you have to assume that, or you'd not have see Pete around after that.

I also like to see Sam stand up for herself. I wish I could pull out the string of Jack examples that you want, but I'm really more into Daniel, so I don't have the Jack examples at my fingertips. One example that comes to mind is that during Enemy Mine, Jack minimizes Sam's overhaul of the Gate Diagnostic System.
                Oh, man, I didn't see Jack dissing Sam or her interests in that scene at all! I thought it was a cute banter, and it just showed that (he lets) that science stuff goes over his head. I loved it!

From your mouth to the ear of TPTB. I really wanted to see Daniel work through his grief over Shar'e through helping Sarah and struggling to understand what she went through.
                There was a time (and sometimes I still feel it) that I thought Chimera never really happened (figment of Sam's mind), so when they *never* showed or discussed Sarah again, it only added to that conspiracy. But, in Endgame, they mentioned her and her ship. Dang.

Sorry it took so long to reply.

Sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

1. I think romance, if it's well done, definitely humanizes characters and is good...but the general quality of sci-fi romance is terrible. It either feels arbitrary, contrived, or completely anticipated, if badly done.

2. Personally, I love unattainable romances. Hence, I loved Divide and Conquer, but I'm NOT a J/S shipper, I just love the tension between them. Unattainable romances make things interesting, but attainable ones aren't as much fun, IMO. Hence, Pete must go. And hence, my obsession with the most pathetic, unattainable romantic potential of all--Fifth's "love" for Sam. Gosh, I love that pathetic adolescent evil replicator dude!

3. 'Ship in a ship? Oh please, not Grace. Worst episode EVER, IMO. Depends, I guess, on how long the people in question are on said ship. In ST Voyager, all the romances feel completely contrived, because there's no one else with whom to be involved. Therefore, Lt.s who've argued from the beginning (can we say "chick flick?") get together, and Neelix develops a crush on the only other vastly-different-than human present, Tuvok is stalwart and steady, and poor Harry can't get a date to save his life. So when EVERYONE on the ship is doing the obvious thing, it sucks. If they have other options (as is the case on Prometheus) and the ship-on-a-ship is done sparingly, why not?
                  Last edited by yasureubetcha; 24 February 2005, 12:39 AM.

Comment

hello fellow shippers and non-shippers: did anybody like Grace, by any chance? I liked it. I'm a pure-blooded SJ shipper, so I considered the shippyness reat but really and truly, did anybody liked the shippyness as much as me?
                    I'm a Teenage,Scifi Friday-loving,Sam+Jack Shipper Gurl I am a shippy shipper chockfull of shippy shipperness having shippy shipper dreams!!
                    Sam+Jack 4 ever!!!I love Hayden Christensen!!May 19th: Sith Happens!!Can't wait till July! I LOVE RED JELLO,just like Jack...!!

Kinsey:[on S/J]Oh I believe there's a lot more to this than we've been told. Well, of course I hardly expect them to incriminate themselves in their own reports.But we can all read between the lines* -Kinsey, Innauguration
                    *1st and only time I agree with Kinsey

Replicarter: There are two of us.
                    Jack: If only...
                    (Sam looks at him. He clears his throat quietly.) -Replicarter and Jack, Gemini

The land of "lilipu" is an amazing land where I go to think about Sam and Jack being a couple, their future wedding,what their kids will look like... So now it's my own private shippy-world.All shippers invited!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sierragulf_gurl_23
                      hello fellow shippers and non-shippers: did anybody like Grace, by any chance? I liked it. I'm a pure-blooded SJ shipper, so I considered the shippyness reat but really and truly, did anybody liked the shippyness as much as me?
                      I LOVED Grace!

Sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

I quite liked Grace. At least I didn't have as adverse a reaction to it as I did to at least half of Chimera (I thought the Daniel/Sarah-Osiris part of Chimera was quite good).

In Grace, I thought Amanda Tapping carried the episode very well. Being an S/J Shipper I liked the blink & you'll miss it kiss.
                        always and forever
                        My LJ http://historianheidi.livejournal.com
                        My History Website http:thehistorian.net

Comment

Originally posted by scjon
                          I quite liked Grace. At least I didn't have as adverse a reaction to it as I did to at least half of Chimera (I thought the Daniel/Sarah-Osiris part of Chimera was quite good).

In Grace, I thought Amanda Tapping carried the episode very well. Being an S/J Shipper I liked the blink & you'll miss it kiss.
                          I loved Grace as well!

I liked Chimera too, though... The Pete/Sam dynamic made me smile. I thought it was cute.
                          Fugly Space Babes: Spork one for Weir!
                          Hussy of Babylon ~ Member of UHM

Comment

Originally posted by Buggy542
                            I loved Grace as well!

I liked Chimera too, though... The Pete/Sam dynamic made me smile. I thought it was cute.
                            To be honest, I tried to like Pete, I really did. In spite of the fact that I'm an S/J shipper, I thought it only fair to give him a chance.

But there was something about him (possibly the background check!) that really bugged me.

I also felt that there wasn't much in the way of chemistry between Amanda Tapping & David Deluise. But perhaps I'm being unfair...It was good to see Sam smile though.
                            always and forever
                            My LJ http://historianheidi.livejournal.com
                            My History Website http:thehistorian.net

Comment

Originally posted by scjon
                              To be honest, I tried to like Pete, I really did. In spite of the fact that I'm an S/J shipper, I thought it only fair to give him a chance.

But there was something about him (possibly the background check!) that really bugged me.

I also felt that there wasn't much in the way of chemistry between Amanda Tapping & David Deluise. But perhaps I'm being unfair...It was good to see Sam smile though.
                              I'm not going to say whether there was chemistry between Amanda and DDL (that's in each person's perspective), but I can say I'm not attracted to David to make that couple hot to me. I think David's attractive, but I don't feel sexually attracted to him. Without that, I'm left cold. (and I'd be saying this if Brat Pitt would have played Pete )

Sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

I'm curious to see how people feel about the fact that TPTB are apparently planning to ship a couple of the new characters in S9? Given their history with Sam/Jack and the show in general, do you think this is a good idea or is it another disaster waiting to happen? Do you want to see more ship on the show? Or is it hard to say without actually seeing the characters?

Personally, I think it's a mistake. I've said it before, I'll say it again, TPTB use ship as a crutch- whenever they're at a loss for plot ideas, they stuff the gaps full of ship and hope no one will notice any problems. I think the fact that they're building ship up from the "ground floor" with the new characters is a very bad sign. It says to me that they're desperate and have no idea what else to do with the characters or how to get them to interact if it isn't in a shippy way.

If they're as ham-fisted with the new ship as they were with the old ship... it's gonna be painful to watch and I feel nothing but pity both for the actors and for any fans who actually like the pairing. It's gonna be pure hell...

Comment

Working...
                                X