No announcement yet.

General Ship ( Relationship) Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i vaguely include the actors as PTB, considering they can control how they play a scene. and even if they don't count, if the director or producers didn't approve of how something was played, i doubt it would make the final cut. stargate is one of the few shows that i would almost trust to be able to do ship between main characters well. i was worried for a while in season 4, but they survived it, and i've had faith in them since then. i started to doubt them again late in season 7. i figure that if they were to do s/j ship, or any main character ship, the way they portrayed s/p ship, then we're done for.

i think sarah's last name is gardner or garner or something like that.

as for daniel not seeing pete, maybe thats the next plot twist
    and you never said that daniel isn't seeing Ish'ta. do you know something i don't?

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
      i think sarah's last name is gardner or garner or something like that.
      It's Sarah Gardner.

as for daniel not seeing pete, maybe thats the next plot twist
      Ever notice how you never see Daniel and Pete in the same room at the same time? Coincidence?? I think not!

Comment

shadow, you said that much better than i did. but i think you probably meant to say you hate sam/jack ship. not sam/pete
        and you don't really hate daniel do you? i don't think you do, but just in case...
        c'mmonnnn. its daniel!

(does that change your mind? )

Comment

I never saw anything between Daniel and Janet until Rite of Passage. The hallway scene made me go hmmmm. I wouldn't have cared if TPTB had gotten them together. They were sort of cute. I wasn't a Daniel/Janet shipper but I wouldn't have felt it would be detrimental to the show to have put them together.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            It's Sarah Gardner.

Ever notice how you never see Daniel and Pete in the same room at the same time? Coincidence?? I think not!
            MY GOD! they're the same person!

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
              I'm a Daniel/Janet shipper. Lifeboat was shippy for me. But, let me ask everyone who is not a Daniel/Janet shipper, and maybe especially those who hate the idea of them together, do any of you feel that pairing was ever forced on you? that it was taking up the whole show? That it was crowding out other aspects and shafting other characters?

I'm not a Daniel/Sam shipper. Or a Teal'c/Sam shipper. Or a Hammond/Janet shipper. However I know some people are/have been, and could find shippy moments in the show for these pairings. But, none of these pairings bother me, because I wasn't forced into it. People might have seen shippy episodes for their pairings, but I didn't. And, I liked it that way.
              Dani you are the lucky one to get quoted but I want to kind of touch on everyone's comments.

First I agree that when the *ship* was more subtle it allowed every fan to do their own mind game. Unfortunately we are passed that point and we can't go back. I to was a Daniel/Janet Shipper in a sense. I would have loved to have Daniel be able to show that he too had moved on from his wife's death but alas TPTB never went that direction.

As ShipperAhoy said - I too like some romance in my TV viewing, but too That is just me. I like that warm and fuzzy as part of my entertainment. I love Science Fiction and I love romance and when you can combine the two well I am just happy

Shadow makes an excellent point that it has really just gone overboard though. But I really feel that TPTB did it to themselves. The fans weren't clamoring for Sam to have an *outside* BF the shippers were happy with the UST for the most part (no not always but usually) and the people that didn't want to see could ignore it...Then TPTB decided OH we should turn this up a notch. I have NO IDEA why and they have NOT done a very good job either IMHO. It is just to late in the series to be doing all this. Maybe if it had been earlier but not 7 years into the series.

All that is happening now just *feels* like manipulation even to me and I want Sam & Jack to end up together but I don't know if the cost if going to be worth it in the end....I shall wait and see.
              Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                i figure that if they were to do s/j ship, or any main character ship, the way they portrayed s/p ship, then we're done for.

Of course, for me, the only problem with S/P is they keep making it into a triangle and shoving her feelings for Jack into it. Keep Jack out, and I'd like Sam and Pete just fine.

i vaguely include the actors as PTB, considering they can control how they play a scene. and even if they don't count, if the director or producers didn't approve of how something was played, i doubt it would make the final cut.
                Well, my way of looking at is was, tptb (excluding actors) were so busy being shippers for their prefered pairing (Sam and Jack) that they really didn't care what was going on with Daniel and Janet, especially since it was very subtle, never literally affected the show or the characters (a look or someone holding the other person's hand a second longer than strictly necessary is all up for interpretation, unlike a literal line that has someone saying they have romantic feelings), and also that they never noticed one way or the other. My guess is if MS and TR hadn't said that's what they had been doing, tptb would never have suspected it. I mean, like I said, I never saw anything obvious that would draw someone's attention to it, unless you were looking. And, unless it's Sam/Jack tptb aren't looking. (Pete doesn't count, because they obviously think of him as a mere prop to create conflict with Sam and Jack, so that still falls under them only being interested in that pairing)

and you never said that daniel isn't seeing Ish'ta. do you know something i don't?
                No, as far as I know, Daniel has not been seeing ish'ta
                Last edited by Dani347; 03 August 2004, 07:07 PM.
                I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Whoops. What a horrible mistake to make, confusing Pete and Jack. Thanks for the catch.

If I may be permitted to quote myself from what I said in my Sulky Thread:

TPTB may not have created this monster, but they have been feeding it for years. If it hauls off and bites them in the ass, they have no one to blame but themselves.
                  I stand by that. And I agree with Tame and various others that TPTB have done a shoddy job of handling ship. It's a very fine line to walk, and they're stumbling through it like drunk elephants in a china shop.

Comment

so am i to assume that you wouldn't think that the sam/pete relationship is getting in the way of the show? what are your issues with the sam/jack relationship versus the sam/pete one?

i'm not sure i'm phrasing this right.

Comment

Actually, I think the Sam/Pete stuff is getting in the way, too. I like Pete, but too much time is being devoted to him. I would have been just as happy knowing that Sam had an offscreen boyfriend, with maybe only a few hints/scenes of Pete, just to give us an idea.

ANY relationshippy stuff is going to get in the way, and the more forced it is, the more obvious it becomes and that means less time for REAL plotlines.

Comment

Whoops. What a horrible mistake to make, confusing Pete and Jack. Thanks for the catch.

If I may be permitted to quote myself from what I said in my Sulky Thread:

I stand by that. And I agree with Tame and various others that TPTB have done a shoddy job of handling ship. It's a very fine line to walk, and they're stumbling through it like drunk elephants in a china shop.
                        you're so vain. quoting yourself.
                        but yes, they do have to work out the meaning of the word sutble. or at the very least spread it out a bit.

i love the drunk elephant line.

and yes i agree. it is a horrible mistake to confuse pete with jack

Comment

Actually, I think the Sam/Pete stuff is getting in the way, too. I like Pete, but too much time is being devoted to him. I would have been just as happy knowing that Sam had an offscreen boyfriend, with maybe only a few hints/scenes of Pete, just to give us an idea.

ANY relationshippy stuff is going to get in the way, and the more forced it is, the more obvious it becomes and that means less time for REAL plotlines.
                          THAT, i could have dealt with. putting aside my issues with petes character that is. from a shippers point of view though, i wouldn't really have minded sam having a bf (for a while ) if it were done right. i hated the fact that it took so much away from the osiris resolution story.

Comment

If all we had ever been given were hints and glimpses of Pete, there would be no solid reason to hate him because we wouldn't have seen the "stalkery" stuff or it never would have happened.

And I didn't feel like typing out my comment again, so I quoted myself instead.

Comment

i still think it was just vanity

Comment

Stargatebarbie, good points

Enough Pete, more scifi!

"I think that, to some degree, all of us are fractured souls. Cut in half. And we wander through life looking for the rest of ourselves. And sometimes we're fortunate enough to meet someone who possesses, in themselves, the part of ourselves that we've been missing. We may not realize it on a conscious level, but definitely on a subconscious level. We see in someone else... something of ourselves. Thats why sometimes you meet someone and you just immediately feel comfortable with them. You feel like you've known them all your life. The reason is that they're a part of you, and you're a part of them. You're soul mates. you... fit. And once you've fit together, nothing can pull you apart unless you let go."
                                ~Imzadi
                                describes Sam and Jack pretty well to me!

<dancing and chanting in my ceremonial BDUs>
                                Screw the regs! DOWN with ! He's no threat to O'Neill! Sam and Jack FOREVER!

Comment

Working...
                                X