General Ship ( Relationship) Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcmilco
    Your use of visual imagery is always so... entertaining?
    What can I say? I'm a visually oriented person.

I'm still rather enamoured of the "sack of kittens" analogy. I may re-use that one. Although I gotta say, the territory marking is running a close second right now... hehe

Comment

sack of kittens?

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
        sack of kittens?
        I've forgotten what thread it was on, but I implied that TPTB were just using Pete as a temporary roadblock and when they were finished with him, they'd toss him overboard like a sack full of kittens. Which is, as I said, pretty much what they did to Jonas, too.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
          I've forgotten what thread it was on, but I implied that TPTB were just using Pete as a temporary roadblock and when they were finished with him, they'd toss him overboard like a sack full of kittens. Which is, as I said, pretty much what they did to Jonas, too.
          aha! yeah i feel sorry for jonas alright.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
            aha! yeah i feel sorry for jonas alright.
            S'okay, made for some nice mental imagery of Jonas being handcuffed and tossed overboard and me... er... but that's all off topic and veering somewhat away from the board's PG format.

Sam/Jack ship. I'm still against it, but I know it ain't going away. *sigh* Ship may not be the ONLY thing that ruined the show for me, but it's one of the few things that has managed to ruin my enjoyment of previous seasons because I can no longer ignore its existence when I go back and watch older eps.

Comment

Shadow's kitten reference was from the sam/jack direction thread in the s8 folder... It stood out it my mind because it was more of her wonderful visual imagery
              ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
              The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

aah. i have avoided the season 8 folder like the good little semi-spoiler free poorly-trained monkey that i am.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                  Ship may not be the ONLY thing that ruined the show for me, but it's one of the few things that has managed to ruin my enjoyment of previous seasons because I can no longer ignore its existence when I go back and watch older eps.
                  I have the same problem. Not so much in episodes that don't show any real emotion between them, but I can't watch Jack and Sam acting like friends or showing any type of concern without thinking that it was supposed to mean more all along. I liked it so much better when it could mean more only for those viewers who were so inclined, and people like me didn't have to see it at all.
                  I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

What exactly is wrong with Jack/Sam in the first place? I always hear that ships ruin the show for you guys. I watch old episodes, and i hardly see any 'grr' relationship between the two, S/J, unless the episode is meant for it, such as in season 4, "Upgrades".
                    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Personally, I have always enjoyed the relationship between Sam & Jack and will continue to for as long as TPTB allow it.
                      Relatively speaking it has taken up very little time of the show overall and for me and other fans like me that touch of romance adds the *extra* emotional attachment.
                      I wish I had some grand explaination as to why it makes the show all the better for some and all the worse for others but alas I don't.
                      Hopefully, TPTB will concentrate on writing it well instead of writing it alot.
                      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
                        What exactly is wrong with Jack/Sam in the first place? I always hear that ships ruin the show for you guys. I watch old episodes, and i hardly see any 'grr' relationship between the two, S/J, unless the episode is meant for it, such as in season 4, "Upgrades".
                        Because I see it as a distraction. It doesn't add to the show for me, it takes away from it. Every time there's a shippy moment, for me, it drags the entire show to a screeching halt just to throw a spotlight on Sam and Jack and their "feelings" for each other. IMO, it makes everything out of joint for a moment (or more, depending on the scene) and, as always, it seems incredibly stupid and unrealistic whenever TPTB try to imply that Sam and Jack are more than just friends and co-workers... or that they at least WANT to be more. It's like having a mime go tap-dancing across the screen whenever it happens.

Comment

I always hear that ships ruin the show for you guys. I watch old episodes, and i hardly see any 'grr' relationship between the two, S/J, unless the episode is meant for it, such as in season 4, "Upgrades".
                          Different people, different ways of watching.

There's a song I adore. Mr W used to like it too. Once we found out that it was an Ode to Heroin rather than a lovesong, Mr W went right off it. I still think it's utterly beautiful, and it doesn't matter what the guy thought he was singing about, I *hear* a lovesong. Neither of us are 'wrong' or 'right', I just find it easier to block out unpleasant associations than he does.

However grim I found the shippiness of recent eps it can't spoil Solitudes or Serpent's Lair / Grasp, or even Paradise Lost; I'll always love those eps including the J & S interaction. I'm lucky that way.

Sam has changed a lot recently, and in a way I and some others do not like. I cope with it by reasoning that Sam has acted in a way that seems consistent and admirable for six and a half years, so the recent eps are an abberration that I don't even have to see as canon if I don't want to. (MaddyCanon is very elastic.)

Some people though can't divorce the stuff they saw and didn't enjoy from the stuff they did like. Some people can't get away from what is canon, and since it is now Canon that Sam is a bit wet and silly (btw, it goes without saying that this is all v subjective), well she must have always had it in her to be wet and silly, and perhaps when she followed Jack's illegal orders in Scorched Earth that wasn't (as we'd assumed) because she thought it was a moral and sensible action, but because she was too wet to argue and too silly to see that it was wrong. That's *not* how I see SE, but perhaps I would see it that way if I took actual Canon more seriously.

Madeleine

Comment

IMO, of course, but what's wrong is Jack and Sam have no chemistry, nothing in common, have an unequal relationship, Sam acts like a silly schoolgirl, they act like they have tunnel vision and only can concentrate on each other. It's unbelievable and awkward. And, I wouldn't have seen it in earlier episodes either, except now, tptb are holding up a neon sign and shouting into a megaphone, "Sam and Jack are in LOVE! LOVE, do you hear us?!! And, we were content before to just go with the flow and let those who see it, see it, and those who don't, don't. But, that's not good enough now. We're going to drop hints so big, hint is an understatement. You WILL believe it. You WILL fall in line. Pledge your oath. All hail Sam and Jack!!!!!

Interesting you mentioned Upgrades. I didn't see that as shippy or even pseudo shippy (like WoO, where some see the kiss as a shippy moment, and I see it as Jack just doing something because he knows he can get away with it). I can't recall any moment in that episode. Now, in D&C, they couldn't leave well enough alone and had to stick ship in retrospect into a perfectly fine and funny episode. Ship, for me, is bad enough, but if they just had to do it, why not just have it relate to the current episode instead of mucking with an episode that was fine the way it was?
                            I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                              IMO, of course, but what's wrong is Jack and Sam have no chemistry, nothing in common, have an unequal relationship, Sam acts like a silly schoolgirl, they act like they have tunnel vision and only can concentrate on each other. It's unbelievable and awkward. And, I wouldn't have seen it in earlier episodes either, except now, tptb are holding up a neon sign and shouting into a megaphone, "Sam and Jack are in LOVE! LOVE, do you hear us?!! And, we were content before to just go with the flow and let those who see it, see it, and those who don't, don't. But, that's not good enough now. We're going to drop hints so big, hint is an understatement. You WILL believe it. You WILL fall in line. Pledge your oath. All hail Sam and Jack!!!!!

Interesting you mentioned Upgrades. I didn't see that as shippy or even pseudo shippy (like WoO, where some see the kiss as a shippy moment, and I see it as Jack just doing something because he knows he can get away with it). I can't recall any moment in that episode. Now, in D&C, they couldn't leave well enough alone and had to stick ship in retrospect into a perfectly fine and funny episode. Ship, for me, is bad enough, but if they just had to do it, why not just have it relate to the current episode instead of mucking with an episode that was fine the way it was?
                              I mentioned Upgrades because their feelings for each other was the reason why the machine, or the Zotar Detecter, detected them as Zotars, or something like that. I guess i can agree it wasn't really a 'ship' episode, but it had important scenes which i thought was relavent.

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
                                Personally, I have always enjoyed the relationship between Sam & Jack and will continue to for as long as TPTB allow it.
                                Relatively speaking it has taken up very little time of the show overall and for me and other fans like me that touch of romance adds the *extra* emotional attachment.
                                I wish I had some grand explaination as to why it makes the show all the better for some and all the worse for others but alas I don't.
                                Hopefully, TPTB will concentrate on writing it well instead of writing it alot.
                                I don't have any feelings toward the relationship between them, they seem to be nice friends in Chimera, especially in the elevator scene near the beginning of the episode. I didn't really notice they actually liked each other until they had episodes where they say they like each other, or someone else says it. So the show isn't bad nor better with this 'ship'...

Comment

Working...
                                X