General Ship ( Relationship) Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    The scene with the popcorn and the football game. It looked like he was trying to impress her. But both Rodney and Ford were there too. So it could have been one of those testosterone driven Earth men things. Plus he was telling stories to the kids and she was there looking interested. If they had continued in that vein, it would have been a nice transition into asking her on a date and ...nah...that would have made too much sense for these writers.
    Oh yeah. I forgot that scene was in this episode. Yeah, they could have built on that. And really, now that I think about it, there was more J/T friendship in S1 than in the rest of the series - not as much as say John and Rodney - but it was there. I never saw it as more than friendship, but...yeah. It could have grown from that I suppose. And there's a question - if they wanted to build the J/T relationship, why not give the two of them an episode like Defiant One, or like Solitudes was for Jack and Sam? But after Ronon came along, they didn't really do much with the J/T relationship, friendship or otherwise, except for random moments here and there. Ironic I suppose. The one episode that did have the two of them together (Phantoms) John wasn't even seeing Teyla as Teyla.
    Last edited by Killdeer; 26 July 2010, 05:37 PM.
    - Life after Stargate -
    Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
    Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
      Oh yeah. I forgot that scene was in this episode. Yeah, they could have built on that. And really, now that I think about it, there was more J/T friendship in S1 than in the rest of the series - not as much as say John and Rodney - but it was there. And there's a question - if they wanted to build the J/T relationship, why not give the two of them an episode like Defiant One, or like Solitudes was for Jack and Sam? But after Ronon came along, they didn't really do much with the J/T relationship, friendship or otherwise, except for random moments here and there. Ironic I suppose. The one episode that did have the two of them together (Phantoms) John wasn't even seeing Teyla as Teyla.
      When I first saw season 2 I really thought they were going to go with Teyla/Ronon. They were always paired off together, and both characters seemed to get the most development when they were in a scene together, at least imo.
      Solitudes was a sweet Sam/Jack ep, while i was watching that I thought they were going to get together; then he called her Sara, and I figured he still had feelings for his ex-wife and didn't look at Sam in that way. They went back and forth a lot with sam/jack. I can see why people who liked them got annoyed a lot. Especially since they both addmitted their feelings for each other in season 4.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
        When I first saw season 2 I really thought they were going to go with Teyla/Ronon.
        Hah. You're not the only one. Especially Duet and Trinity - I thought this was a sure thing. *laughs at self* Boy was I ever wrong.

I still loved their relationship though, all through the series, whether romantic or platonic. They were one of my favorite relationships on the show.
        - Life after Stargate -
        Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
        Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
        sigpic

Comment

I just noticed the Was Anyone Else Disappointed John and Teyla (Spoilers) thread has been reopened, if people want to go back over there.

I'm personally more comfortable in this thread - not quite so worried about wandering off-topic here. LOL. But wanted to let people know that might be interested in picking up that conversation.
          - Life after Stargate -
          sigpic

Comment

Hah. You're not the only one. Especially Duet and Trinity - I thought this was a sure thing. *laughs at self* Boy was I ever wrong.

I still loved their relationship though, all through the series, whether romantic or platonic. They were one of my favorite relationships on the show.
            yeah I think Teyla and Ronon worked together nicely either way.

Question: is this too much sga talk on an sg1 thread?

Add: Thats nice that the other thread was reopened.
            sigpic

Comment

Question: is this too much sga talk on an sg1 thread?
              I could be wrong, but I've always been under the impression that this was a general ship discussion thread for any or all of the Stargate shows. *shrugs* Any one else have any thoughts on that?

EDIT: As I look back, it seems like about 90% of the thread has been about Sam/Jack, and providing neutral ground for discussion between those who liked it and those who didn't. I'm not seeing any restrictions against it being used for the same purpose with other ships, but I guess the mods would have to make the call on that. I like the idea of having an open discussion thread to discuss any of the Stargate ships, or just ship in general, but ultimately it's not my call.
              Last edited by Killdeer; 26 July 2010, 06:25 PM.
              - Life after Stargate -
              sigpic

Comment

I could be wrong, but I've always been under the impression that this was a general ship discussion thread for any or all of the Stargate shows. *shrugs* Any one else have any thoughts on that?

EDIT: As I look back, it seems like about 90% of the thread has been about Sam/Jack, and providing neutral ground for discussion between those who liked it and those who didn't. I'm not seeing any restrictions against it being used for the same purpose with other ships, but I guess the mods would have to make the call on that. I like the idea of having an open discussion thread to discuss any of the Stargate ships, or just ship in general, but ultimately it's not my call.
                How do we ask a mod? lol
                I like the idea of someplace to discuss all the ships from all the shows and ships in general as well if thats possible to do nicely. This one seemed nice.
                sigpic

Comment

I think if the mods had a problem with a discussion of SGA in what was originally an SG1 thread, they'd simply move the thread to the general stargate discussion section. They don't seem to have any trouble asserting themselves.

Seaboe
                  If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                    I think if the mods had a problem with a discussion of SGA in what was originally an SG1 thread, they'd simply move the thread to the general stargate discussion section. They don't seem to have any trouble asserting themselves.

Seaboe
                    LOL true or else no one that cares has actually looked in here or cared enough to report us lol. Oh Well. I guess we can talk about any ship in general unless someone says to stop, or it gets ugly; which I hope it wont. And your right the mods can always move the thread to the General Stargate Discussion area.
                    sigpic

Comment

When I first saw season 2 I really thought they were going to go with Teyla/Ronon. They were always paired off together, and both characters seemed to get the most development when they were in a scene together, at least imo.
                      Solitudes was a sweet Sam/Jack ep, while i was watching that I thought they were going to get together; then he called her Sara, and I figured he still had feelings for his ex-wife and didn't look at Sam in that way. They went back and forth a lot with sam/jack. I can see why people who liked them got annoyed a lot. Especially since they both addmitted their feelings for each other in season 4.
                      ITA on all this. If I recall correctly, I think one of TPTB said the Ronon/Teyla ship would be too "predictable". Which IMHO proves how clueless they are. Who cares how predictable it is if they work together? And they did work at first. They had lots of chemistry and sure had a lot in common. Later though, I began to see them more as siblings.

Sam/Jack got the Mulder/Scully treatment I think. I sure lost interest in that ship as the years went by. I was just a casual viewer of SG-1 so never really got that much into it, but I did enjoy all the interactions.
                      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                        ITA on all this. If I recall correctly, I think one of TPTB said the Ronon/Teyla ship would be too "predictable". Which IMHO proves how clueless they are. Who cares how predictable it is if they work together? And they did work at first. They had lots of chemistry and sure had a lot in common. Later though, I began to see them more as siblings.

Sam/Jack got the Mulder/Scully treatment I think. I sure lost interest in that ship as the years went by. I was just a casual viewer of SG-1 so never really got that much into it, but I did enjoy all the interactions.
                        I don't know if i ever got the sibling vibe from Ronon/Teyla, maybe a bit in season 4. In season 5 there weren't that many scenes of Ronon and Teyla together though so I dunno.(lol there weren't that many scenes of Ronon and Teyla in general besides in a few eps, especially Teyla)
                        sigpic

Comment

I don't know if i ever got the sibling vibe from Ronon/Teyla, maybe a bit in season 4. In season 5 there weren't that many scenes of Ronon and Teyla together though so I dunno.(lol there weren't that many scenes of Ronon and Teyla in general besides in a few eps, especially Teyla)
                          What about BT? He was real brotherly there talking about Kanaan? And in DV they were off together and having a nice talk I think. But yeah, they did seem to lose interest in them about that time. I think part of the reason we say so much less of Teyla may have been that they considered her story finished. In fact I believe JM said as much one time on his blog. But don't quote me on that.
                          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Oh I agree completely. Even though I like the pairing, I really wish it hadn't been handled as it was. They pushed into it too fast and too heavily. Having Rodney say "I've loved you for a long time" in The Shrine leaves the viewer thinking, wait, didn't he just propose to a different woman not too long ago? What's up with that? IMO, they should have just left it as an undercurrent through most of the season, and forgotten the love triangle bit with Ronon altogether, because no one came off looking good there.
                            I agree those were the main problems with it...especially the love triangle. Why must there always be one?

Daniel/Vala is another ship I liked, but felt like it was handled badly. There were episodes like Momento Mori and The Powers that Be that I was really into it, but....like McKeller, they tended to get a little heavy handed with it. And I've never quite gotten over Unending.
                            There were a lot of things I disliked about S9/10 when they originally aired, and this was one of them...the D/V ship. In some ways I didn't mind it, but yeah at times it got heavy handed, and at the time, to me, it seemed like it was a dominant part of episodes which annoyed me...I guess it was more of the fact that those two always seemed to be paired up in scenes.

BUT I was watching those seasons with a different mindset.

I just recently finally bought all of SG-1 on dvd. I rewatched S9/10 as I haven't seen many of those eps since the show ended. I suppose it's because I've mellowed out a bit in my view of the show, but those two seasons weren't as bad as I remember them, and neither was the D/V ship (it wasn't as overbearing as I remembered it to be). MS and CB had great rapport with each other, which is a pretty good selling point. RDA and AT worked great together as well as friends EXCEPT when it came to the shipping parts. *shudder* All my opinion of course like it says in my lovely little sig.

Though yeah that Daniel tirade in Unending is still .

I like a good romantic ship, but I'd actually rather have a great friendship ship portrayed in the shows I watch.
                            IMO always implied.

Comment

Okay, I had every intention of not posting here untill this post:

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                              There were a lot of things I disliked about S9/10 when they originally aired, and this was one of them...the D/V ship. In some ways I didn't mind it, but yeah at times it got heavy handed, and at the time, to me, it seemed like it was a dominant part of episodes which annoyed me...I guess it was more of the fact that those two always seemed to be paired up in scenes.
                              This is pretty much how I felt when I was watching S9/10 for the first time. I didn't like D/V ship but at the time there were so many things I absolutely despised about the show my beloved SG-1 turned into that all in all I paid little attention to D/V.

I just recently finally bought all of SG-1 on dvd. I rewatched S9/10 as I haven't seen many of those eps since the show ended. I suppose it's because I've mellowed out a bit in my view of the show, but those two seasons weren't as bad as I remember them, and neither was the D/V ship (it wasn't as overbearing as I remembered it to be). MS and CB had great rapport with each other, which is a pretty good selling point. RDA and AT worked great together as well as friends EXCEPT when it came to the shipping parts. *shudder* All my opinion of course like it says in my lovely little sig.

Though yeah that Daniel tirade in Unending is still .
                              Some time ago I rewatched the last 2 seasons - for the first time since they originally aired. Like you, I found that my perception changed somewhat. I still despise them and think they shouldn't have been made in the first place, but I also found some things to enjoy - for example, I think LITS is a great episode and Tomin is made of awesome. Unfortunately some things that didn't bother me that much the first time around turned out to be far more bothersome this time and D/V ship is one of them.

As a team fan, I hate how they took over the whole show. Whenever Daniel and Vala are in the same episode there's no team; just the 2 of them and their sidekicks. Their 'ship prohibits any relations with other characters. Vala has some nice interaction with Sam and Teal'c in Uninvited and she's great in LITS - Daniel doesn't appear in either of these episodes. The moment he does, he has her full focus to the exclusion of everyone else. I admit that this changes a little at the end of season 10 when Vala's paired more often with Mitchell, but it's too little too late for me. Both CB and MS are good actors but I find them more believable when they play off someone else, because together they both go way OTT.

Finally, as a fan fond of Daniel (not Jackson) and Vala (not comic relief!Vala) I can't accept what their 'ship does to their characters. Whenever Daniel's around Vala changes from strong, independent, mature woman into insecure, annoying little girl and Daniel transforms into some sort of brute. And I think this is why I dislike their "pairing" so much. Daniel most of the time is condescending to her and on few occasions literally pushes her around (Pegasus Project comes to mind). And she lets him. I'm not saying that she's faultless - if we switched their genders there'd probably be a lot of talk about sexual harassment - but the way she fails to address the issue sets off alarm bells in my brain. I don't care how great is the actors' chemistry (which I don't see btw, sorry) - this is wrong in my book. No matter what's your (general you) opinion about S/J or McKeller or any other SGA/SGU 'ship that I can think of, you have to admit that in those relationships men never resorted to manhandling the women they were supposedly in love with.

Ok, I'm done. Sorry for the rant but I needed to get it off my chest and now I feel better. And of course everything above is nothing more than my humble opinion and interpretation of what I saw onscreen.

Unfortunately, I can't contribute anything to the SGA discussion because when it comes to that show - or any other show except SG-1 and Angel for that matter - I'm a 100% non-shipper (not to be confused with an anti or NoRoMo). I enjoy both POVs and I think both sides make some valid points. So please, carry on.

As for the purpose of this thread, the Mod who started it was pretty clear:

Originally posted by Feli
                              This thread is for the discussion of ship on Stargate SG-1 in general.
                              However I don't think anyone, least of all me, minds hijacking it for some SGA discussion.
                              There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                              sigpic
                              awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                                As for the purpose of this thread, the Mod who started it was pretty clear:

However I don't think anyone, least of all me, minds hijacking it for some SGA discussion.
                                Well, SGA hadn't even started airing at that point. But I will ask.

As for D/V....I actually haven't rewatched those last two seasons, so you all have the advantage of me in that. I admit though that I am biased toward Vala - Claudia Black is probably my favorite actress ever, and I thought she had amazing chemistry with Michael, as well as with everyone else.

But yeah, the Unending scene was rather cringe-inducing.
                                - Life after Stargate -
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X