Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VampyreWraith
    replied
    On sgu the only canon relationship that I see any kind of romantic chemistry is between
    Spoiler:
    Wray and her gf(I forget her name). The only time I actually like the Wray character is in her scenes on Earth with the gf. Even though I find the Earth parts of the episodes really boring i think the two actresses do a good job showing how much the characters care for the other imo.
    As for the others, I can barely stand it when Chloe and Scott are in a scene together. I don't mind either character individually or around others(even though i'm not particularly fond of either character) I just really hate them together even as friends. With TJ/Young I like them as friends and think they have nice friendship moments together. I hope they keep whatever happened between them in the past and don't revisit them in a romantic way.

Leave a comment:

• Linda06
    replied
    So I was thinking (yes I tend to do that sometimes, I usually end up with a headache though ) Anywho I was thinking about the various canon ships on each show and I was quite dumbstruck at the canon ships they done where the pairings had no chemistry of the romantic nature at all, or very little romantic chemistry, with the possible exception of SG-1, I can only think of Sam/Pete that had no chemistry, maybe even possibly Sam/Narim. I don't know if they maybe had someone on SG-1 that knew what they were doing or they were just lucky that it worked out that way.

As for SGA and SGU, well it's a different story. All the canon ships I can think of just didn't work IMO for various reasons.

SGA we had Teyla/Kanaan, McKay/Keller, Weir/Simon for a short period, McKay/Katie. Not sure if we can add Carson/Doctor in Whispers and Ronon/Amelia to that group since nothing much happened there, we saw a glimpse of them on screen together, that was about it. None of them IMO had any kind of romantic chemistry together to make it work.

I'm not sure if SGU still has to be spoilered for the first season still so I'll spoiler it just ion case
    Spoiler:
    Now SGU, we have Chloe/Scott, TJ/Young (in the past), Young/his Wife. None have even the remotest chemistry of the romantic nature (IMO) which is why it will never work (for me). I think TJ/Young have good chemistry, but not the romantic kind. IMO it would have worked so much better if they developed a really good friendship between them which is what I was hoping for but didn't get Oh well, c'est la vie *shrugs*

I don't know why they had so much trouble with shipping in SGA and SGU *shrugs*

All this is just my opinion on the matter and not fact, I am aware that some did see romantic chemistry between these various ships. I just didn't see it

Leave a comment:

• VampyreWraith
    replied
    Originally posted by Petra View Post

I'm waving my "Just a casual viewer" flag here, but wasn't Cadman into Beckett, not McKay?

Ah yes, sorry for not making myself clear. I meant the series timeframe, which means "The First Commandment". I never saw Sam as still interested in him at that point.

I liked his storyline actually, but his obsession was definitely one-sided and not healthy.

He was a criminal in season 6 "Forsaken" hitting on Sam to gain her trust and help, just as his accomplice was doing the same with Jonas.

This reminded me of one fic I read ages ago, in which Jonas was in high demand among all base personnel due to his off-worldly....skills and stamina, shall we say.

A bit OTT (or not, after all we are discussing relationships), but I adored Jonas' realtionships with everyone and can't pick my favourite. There was this whole storyline of gaining Jack's trust, and the easy-going, light-hearted friendship with Sam and awesome "alien fish out of water", mentor/student thing with Teal'c. I thought season 6 struck perfect balance in making everybody - characters and cast alike - equal. But that's just me. *shrug*

I agree actually. What you wrote above is why I think it wouldn't have worked out in the long run, but I could definitelly see them in a relationship for some time. I think Sam would at first fall for being treated as a woman first and foremost - it's what happened with Pete after all. But eventually she'd realise it's not what she wants.

I liked Pete in the first half of Chimera and in NO, but that wasn't real Pete, just what Sam thought him to be. However the second half isn't the only thing that put me off him. I was freaked out to learn about him buying *them* a house behind her back. And I absolutely despise everything about him and them in Affinity. Everything. From him changing his job and moving to Colorado without discussing it with her or even informing her beforehand (hmm, I'm sensing a trend here), through her becoming completely brain-dead so the audience would see what an awesome, professional cop he is to them making out on duty, at the site. Sam didn't even check on Daniel, she was so busy with her boyfriend. Ugh. No, just no.
    Some people though Rodney/Cadman had good chemistry and would've been fun together; but yes she was officially shipped with Carson for a few eps. I personally could've seen her with either.

I liked Jonas's friendships with the cast as well; particularly his friendships wit Teal'c and Sam. I liked the interaction between Jonas and Daniel, and could've seen them becomming really good friends. I wish they had kept Jonas at least as a recurring character in a role the size of Bratac 's or Jacob/Selmac.

I really disliked that whole Trista ep, I thought both Teal'c and Sam were a bit OOC especially in their romantic interactions. Even Daniel seemed a bit off to me in that ep. Sam making out wit Pete in front of everyone seemed very ooc to me; and I thought Teal'c getting with a girl that looked young enough to be his daughter was kinda icky; especially since I thought he had a thing for Ishta. I liked Ishta, I really didn't like Krista.
    I think Pete proposed to her before he bought the house (I could be wrong but I'm not sure I'm not remembering specifics right now); If he did I think the house thing is ok because its fairly common on tv and even in RL for a guy to surpise his new wife/fiancee' with a house(especially yrs ago, I believe it was considered to be very romantic) And they were going out a bit before he told her he was going to move to CO and proposed to her, so I didn't really care about that. That stuff really didn't bother me much; it was only the whole backround check/stakeout for me that was weird/stalkery.

Leave a comment:

• Petra
    replied
    Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
    Plus, I've always been a little bitter that they kind of killed the whole Jolinar storyline for Sam by killing off Martouf. I thought that storyline was fascinating, and the writers could have done so much with it. I've never understood why they pretty much abandoned it after D&C.
    Except D&C wasn't the end of the Jolinar storyline. It was continued in Summit/Last Stand (season 5) in regards to Lantash and the feelings stuff and in Nightwalkers (season 6) in regards to Sam's enhanced abilities. The story got dropped for good in season 7. And yes, 3 episodes in 2 seasons isn't much, but let's face it: that particular storyline was never well developed or touched upon post-season 2 (!).

Personally I would have loved to delve into it, but more from the technology and Jolinar's knowledge angle. Sam's feelings about her ability to use Goa'uld technology were briefly touched upon and then ignored - I would have loved more focus on that. Also, apart from The Tok'ra & JM/TDYK 2-parters we never saw SG-1 benefitting from Jolinar's memories, which I find hard to believe. Jolinar must have had a vast knowledge about the galaxy and IMO the writers missed out on a great opportunity here.

I wouldn't have wanted to see more focus on the romantic dilemma "do I love him or not?" with Martouf though. Definitely not. Sam was already labelled as The Girl in some circles with the amount of romance that she got, I shudder to think what would happen if she was saddled with yet another romantic storyline, one so muddy to that.

(that's also the reason I can't ship McKay/Cadman).
    I'm waving my "Just a casual viewer" flag here, but wasn't Cadman into Beckett, not McKay?

I don't think one can say that Jonas Hansen's interest was entirely one-sided. Maybe by the time of The First Commandment it was, but Sam was engaged to him for a while anyway, so she must have returned his interest at some point in her life.
    Ah yes, sorry for not making myself clear. I meant the series timeframe, which means "The First Commandment". I never saw Sam as still interested in him at that point.

Agree on Fifth - I can't stand Fifth actually.
    I liked his storyline actually, but his obsession was definitely one-sided and not healthy.

Don't remember who Corso was.
    He was a criminal in season 6 "Forsaken" hitting on Sam to gain her trust and help, just as his accomplice was doing the same with Jonas.

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
    Yeah, I didn't ship him with anyone either. I adored his relationships with the team (especially the weird blame to respect situation with Jack) but he didn't get enough time to have a proper ship. I like to think he was dating Janet's nursing staff. All of them.
    This reminded me of one fic I read ages ago, in which Jonas was in high demand among all base personnel due to his off-worldly....skills and stamina, shall we say.

A bit OTT (or not, after all we are discussing relationships), but I adored Jonas' realtionships with everyone and can't pick my favourite. There was this whole storyline of gaining Jack's trust, and the easy-going, light-hearted friendship with Sam and awesome "alien fish out of water", mentor/student thing with Teal'c. I thought season 6 struck perfect balance in making everybody - characters and cast alike - equal. But that's just me. *shrug*

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
    Joe Faxon - I thought he was ok i guess; I didn't really like him in 2010. To me he didn't seem to be able to accept that Sam could take care of herself and that she didn't need to be protected; and that she was going to do the right thing no matter the sacrifice to herself. So I'm not sure that would've worked out.
    I agree actually. What you wrote above is why I think it wouldn't have worked out in the long run, but I could definitelly see them in a relationship for some time. I think Sam would at first fall for being treated as a woman first and foremost - it's what happened with Pete after all. But eventually she'd realise it's not what she wants.

Pete - Ok, I know no one really likes him lol; but I thought he could've been ok if he hadn't started by getting a backround check on Sam using an FBI friend and following her to a stakeout and endangering everyones lives in the process. If I pretended that didn't happen, I thought he was a sweet guy, and I thought he was cute, in normal everyday guy way.
    I liked Pete in the first half of Chimera and in NO, but that wasn't real Pete, just what Sam thought him to be. However the second half isn't the only thing that put me off him. I was freaked out to learn about him buying *them* a house behind her back. And I absolutely despise everything about him and them in Affinity. Everything. From him changing his job and moving to Colorado without discussing it with her or even informing her beforehand (hmm, I'm sensing a trend here), through her becoming completely brain-dead so the audience would see what an awesome, professional cop he is to them making out on duty, at the site. Sam didn't even check on Daniel, she was so busy with her boyfriend. Ugh. No, just no.

Leave a comment:

• VampyreWraith
    replied
    Regarding Sam and her Suitors

Narim - I thought Narim was kinda weird/creepy in Enigma; but I thought he was ok in the other eps he was in and actually found him to be a really sweet guy. Sam seemed very awkward with him though; so I don't know if I could actually see them together.

Martouf - I liked Martouf. I liked the whole Jolinar/Sam/Martouf thing. I wouldn't have minded seeing Sam with him or that whole storyline explored more.

Orlin - Um no, I thought he was very creepy in a crazy stalkerish way. I get that he was ascended and he hadn't been aound people for a bit so he didn't really know how to act. But still he just really weirded me out in a bad way. I also have a thing against ascended beings who decide to take human form just so they can get some romantic alone time with humans.(That is one of the reasons I despised the SGA ep Sanctuary, I also hated it because everyone was so OOC)

Joe Faxon - I thought he was ok i guess; I didn't really like him in 2010. To me he didn't seem to be able to accept that Sam could take care of herself and that she didn't need to be protected; and that she was going to do the right thing no matter the sacrifice to herself. So I'm not sure that would've worked out.

Pete - Ok, I know no one really likes him lol; but I thought he could've been ok if he hadn't started by getting a backround check on Sam using an FBI friend and following her to a stakeout and endangering everyones lives in the process. If I pretended that didn't happen, I thought he was a sweet guy, and I thought he was cute, in normal everyday guy way.

McKay - The whole Mckay thing was pretty much one-sided and fun to watch. Though the AU Mckay in The Road Not Taken was a bit different and I actually could've seen them married in that AU.

I felt bad for Fifth. I kinda liked him sometimes; but not with Sam or anything. I thought Jonas Hansen got what he deserved. I found that whole Felger thing annoying.

Leave a comment:

• Ashizuri
    replied
    Yay, Jonas discussion! *looks around looking for Ash*
    Mention Jonas and I come running.

Everybody who knows me even a little knows I'm a huge Jonas fan. I adore him and I think he should have stayed on the team even after Daniel came back. He had great chemistry with everybody, very unique relationships with other main characters and his addition to the show resulted in wonderful character development for Sam, Teal'c and Jack.
    Off topic, but yes, yes, yes. Daniel is my second favorite character of the franchise, but I would have picked Jonas staying over Daniel coming back any day of the week. Ideally, I would have wanted them both around, but I was cheesed off to see Jonas kicked through the Gate to make room for Jackson.

Having said that, I can't say I ever shipped him with anyone.
    Yeah, I didn't ship him with anyone either. I adored his relationships with the team (especially the weird blame to respect situation with Jack) but he didn't get enough time to have a proper ship. I like to think he was dating Janet's nursing staff. All of them.

Originally posted by LadyGalaxyJ View Post
    oh, and I didn't like his hair too in that ep
    Haha, awww. I loved his emo rocker, scene kid hair.

Leave a comment:

• LadyGalaxyJ
    replied
    Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
    Whether or not you're a fan of the actor or actress does make a big difference - I agree. Personally, in this case, I am a fan of Jr Bourne, so I really liked Martouf, and I actually liked the messiness of the whole Sam/Jolinar/Martouf situation. I think it would have been interesting to see them explore that more with Sam - the complications of trying to figure out whether she was feeling her own feelings or Jolinar's might have made for some interesting storylines IMO.

Plus, I've always been a little bitter that they kind of killed the whole Jolinar storyline for Sam by killing off Martouf. I thought that storyline was fascinating, and the writers could have done so much with it. I've never understood why they pretty much abandoned it after D&C.
    I liked the whole idea behind Martouf/Lantash/Sam/Jolinar, but I didn't find they explored it right, IMO. That may be why I didn't really like that storyline. I do think it held great potential, but somehow, it never manifested itself for me. I would definitly have liked to see more though, to see it in a different way...

Leave a comment:

• Killdeer
    replied
    Martouf - another 'ship I don't like. I'm not a fan of Martouf (it's because of the actor, not character) and I'd find S/M hypothetical relationship very icky. Sam would never know if she was the one in love with him or if she was ruled by Jolinar's feelings and Martouf would always see some part of Jolinar in her. Plus I've never seen Sam interested in him romantically. All in all, it's messy and makes me uncomfortable. I do think the actors had chemistry though.
    Whether or not you're a fan of the actor or actress does make a big difference - I agree. Personally, in this case, I am a fan of Jr Bourne, so I really liked Martouf, and I actually liked the messiness of the whole Sam/Jolinar/Martouf situation. I think it would have been interesting to see them explore that more with Sam - the complications of trying to figure out whether she was feeling her own feelings or Jolinar's might have made for some interesting storylines IMO.

Joe Faxon - that's the guy I could see Sam with. At least for some time; I'm not sure if it would work out between them. Handsome, decent, her equal; knew what she did for a living. The actors had decent chemistry; I'm not sure if it was romantic but at least it was there.
    And now on this one I'm on the other side. I wasn't much of a fan of Faxon. Not sure why exactly - he just didn't do anything for me.

McKay - nothing to say really, as it was always one-sided crush on Rodney's part that seemed to freak Sam out a little; as to chemistry they had loads, but it was more a sibling thing than UST.
    Speaking as a Rodney fan, I do have to agree with you mostly here. I'm not sure about the sibling thing so much, but the whole Sam/McKay was usually always played for humor, usually at Rodney's expense, so I never would have been comfortable with them shipped together largely for that reason. Not much into humiliation in my ships (that's also the reason I can't ship McKay/Cadman). There was a moment, in The Road Not Taken, that I thought...ok, done right, it might not have been so bad. But....it was a brief moment.

I don't count guys like Jonas Hansen, Felger, Corso or Fifth b/s it was preety clear their obsession with Sam was entirely one-sided.
    I don't think one can say that Jonas Hansen's interest was entirely one-sided. Maybe by the time of The First Commandment it was, but Sam was engaged to him for a while anyway, so she must have returned his interest at some point in her life.

Agree on Fifth - I can't stand Fifth actually. And Felger was a joke. Don't remember who Corso was. And yeah, I liked Narim but didn't ship Sam with him, or with Orlin.

As far as Jonas goes, I don't remember ever really shipping him with anyone. My thing with Jonas is that, when I watched S6, S7 was already airing, so I already knew Daniel was coming back. So, while I liked Jonas (and I honestly did - I never had anything against him), I never got attached to him either, because I always knew he was temporary.

Leave a comment:

• LadyGalaxyJ
    replied
    ^ I agree with Petra's post on Sam and her -too many- suitors.

I would though that I was Narim as a one-sided thing too. In my head, Sam just considered him a good guy, one that could be a friend maybe. And I think she deserves someone attractive too! ; )

About Jonas, I never shipped him with anyone, especially not that Goa'uld girl from Fallout -oh, and I didn't like his hair too in that ep- but I think he deserves someone who will love him. : ) (I have no further thoughts on the matter... perhaps I should rewatch season 6...)

Leave a comment:

• Petra
    replied
    Originally posted by Anuna View Post
    Yup, same thing here. I'm not sure what was the whole point of Pete. perhaps that was Sam's attempt to have something normal in her life, something ordinary.
    In-verse? From a general point of view you guessed it; from a shipper POV it was so Sam would realise that Jack was the only guy right for her ; and from a production POV it was to drag out UST and yank shippers' chains.

All this talk about S/P and S/B made me think how I saw her interactins with her suitors and this is what I came up with:

Narim - I'm pretty "meh" about him and don't like S/N 'ship. Firstly, I don't see any chemistry between the actors. Secondly, Narim was boooooring. I know some think he was stalker-ish and I can see why, but personally I've never been bothered by it. However Narim was such a dull, meek person that I can't imagine Sam not being bored out of her skull after a week. And thirdly, I just don't think he was attractive enough for her. Yeah, it's awful but what can I say, it's tv. Sam was a beautiful woman and I'd prefer her to be with a handsome guy. *embarassed shrug*

Martouf - another 'ship I don't like. I'm not a fan of Martouf (it's because of the actor, not character) and I'd find S/M hypothetical relationship very icky. Sam would never know if she was the one in love with him or if she was ruled by Jolinar's feelings and Martouf would always see some part of Jolinar in her. Plus I've never seen Sam interested in him romantically. All in all, it's messy and makes me uncomfortable. I do think the actors had chemistry though.

Orlin - he was cute and SPF & AT had loads of wonderful chemistry. I liked watching them together onscreen and I liked Orlin as a character. But their 'ship? Absolutely not. Firstly, Orlin is another stalker and I found his behaviour towards Sam to be really creepy (secretly watching her bath and sleep in her own house? yikes!). Secondly power dynamics make me uncomfortable. Orlin is thousands of years older than Sam, thousands years more experienced, smarter and Sam would never be able to keep up with him intellectually or otherwise. So no.

Joe Faxon - that's the guy I could see Sam with. At least for some time; I'm not sure if it would work out between them. Handsome, decent, her equal; knew what she did for a living. The actors had decent chemistry; I'm not sure if it was romantic but at least it was there.

McKay - nothing to say really, as it was always one-sided crush on Rodney's part that seemed to freak Sam out a little; as to chemistry they had loads, but it was more a sibling thing than UST

Barret - as previously stated, he would have worked as Sam's love interest for a while.

I don't count guys like Jonas Hansen, Felger, Corso or Fifth b/s it was preety clear their obsession with Sam was entirely one-sided.

What do you gyus think of Jonas Quinn? I know he was there for a short time (too short IMO!). Did yoiu pair him with somebody, and if you did, why?
    Yay, Jonas discussion! *looks around looking for Ash*

Everybody who knows me even a little knows I'm a huge Jonas fan. I adore him and I think he should have stayed on the team even after Daniel came back. He had great chemistry with everybody, very unique relationships with other main characters and his addition to the show resulted in wonderful character development for Sam, Teal'c and Jack.

Having said that, I can't say I ever shipped him with anyone. I always thought that his interaction with Sam was very older sister/younger brother - like and reminded me of S/D in the first 3 seasons. No way I ever saw anything of romantic or sexual nature between them. Ditto on him with Janet. I think he was on the show too short to get a proper love interest, but in my mind he went on that date with Lt Rush and they liked each other.

I agree however with whoever said they didn't like the Goa'uld chick he fell for in Fallout. I didn't like her either and couldn't see them together.

Leave a comment:

• Linda06
    replied
    Originally posted by Anuna View Post
    Yup, same thing here. I'm not sure what was the whole point of Pete. perhaps that was Sam's attempt to have something normal in her life, something ordinary. But Pete turned out to be really creepy. Barret was completely different, a decent guy, who is good at his job and acts like a mature person. And, as someone else said, he already knows all about Sam's job. She doesn't have to amke things up and he sure isn't going to stalk her. This discussion really reminded me how much I actually liked him.

What do you gyus think of Jonas Quinn? I know he was there for a short time (too short IMO!). Did yoiu pair him with somebody, and if you did, why?
    It took me a wee while to get used to Jonas but once I did I really liked him and was sad that he left I think he had a thing for nurses

Leave a comment:

• VampyreWraith
    replied
    I really liked Jonas. At one point I could've seen Jonas and Sam. I really didn't like the goauld host woman that he had a thing for.
    But the lady in Cure seemed a good fit for him to me.

Leave a comment:

• Anuna
    replied
    Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
    I had a huge problem with Sam/Pete for various reasons. But I liked Barrett, we was kinda sweet And the scenes with Sam were nice That I wouldn't have had a problem with.
    Yup, same thing here. I'm not sure what was the whole point of Pete. perhaps that was Sam's attempt to have something normal in her life, something ordinary. But Pete turned out to be really creepy. Barret was completely different, a decent guy, who is good at his job and acts like a mature person. And, as someone else said, he already knows all about Sam's job. She doesn't have to amke things up and he sure isn't going to stalk her. This discussion really reminded me how much I actually liked him.

Leave a comment:

• Linda06
    replied
    Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
    I am so happy to hear that so many like Sam & Barrett even among the the S&J shippers
    I had a huge problem with Sam/Pete for various reasons. But I liked Barrett, we was kinda sweet And the scenes with Sam were nice That I wouldn't have had a problem with.

Leave a comment:

• poundpuppy29
    replied
    I am so happy to hear that so many like Sam & Barrett even among the the S&J shippers

Leave a comment:

Working...
X