General Ship ( Relationship) Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
    The entire storyline was completely meaningless from the getgo. It was stupid, irrelevant, and made Carter look idiotic.
    that's your opinion, sheps. for me, sam and jack struggling with their feelings for one another was very poignant.

i agree with uber, this storyline needs to be resolved. *years* of build-up requires a LOT more than 'not exactly'. i have a feeling, though, that they'll wait till the very end before bringing them *really* together. why they insist on waiting when their relay would have absolutely NO effect on the sg1 team...

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

What if the end of it is Sam has a talk with someone where she says she realizes her feelings for Jack were just her wanting the safety of what was unattainable? Is the only closure that makes sense Jack and Sam together? Is that the only thing that could make it meaningful? Then, I never saw this big old emotional roller coaster. I saw scenes being inserted in inappropriate moments, and a bunch of AU's that don't count.

I also never understood why they have to show she has a life outside the SGC. Which, of course, actually means a romantic life. The only other person they've shown doing that is Teal'c. It's not like Daniel was going home to Sha're every night, and Jack didn't have someone waiting at home. The plot device at the end of season 8 (who's name a can't even remember) doesn't count. And, yet, I never went around wondering why their lives were so empty. I'm fine with imagining they all have lives outside the SGC, romantic or not, because the life I'm interested in, is the one at the SGC and off world. The most I want is little glimpses that talk about their pasts, or something like that. Seeing a scene where Sam says she's going to visit her brother? Fine. But, never, never, never, anything that suggests a romance with between any of the main characters, past or present.

Personally I won't feel at all cheated if the "not exactly" is the only thing they ever do. Nor will I feel it reflects badly on Sam to not do more. I would have felt that it would have reflected even better if they didn't do that scene in the first place.
      I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
        What if the end of it is Sam has a talk with someone where she says she realizes her feelings for Jack were just her wanting the safety of what was unattainable? Is the only closure that makes sense Jack and Sam together? Is that the only thing that could make it meaningful? Then, I never saw this big old emotional roller coaster. I saw scenes being inserted in inappropriate moments, and a bunch of AU's that don't count.

I also never understood why they have to show she has a life outside the SGC. Which, of course, actually means a romantic life. The only other person they've shown doing that is Teal'c. It's not like Daniel was going home to Sha're every night, and Jack didn't have someone waiting at home. The plot device at the end of season 8 (who's name a can't even remember) doesn't count. And, yet, I never went around wondering why their lives were so empty. I'm fine with imagining they all have lives outside the SGC, romantic or not, because the life I'm interested in, is the one at the SGC and off world. The most I want is little glimpses that talk about their pasts, or something like that. Seeing a scene where Sam says she's going to visit her brother? Fine. But, never, never, never, anything that suggests a romance with between any of the main characters, past or present.

Personally I won't feel at all cheated if the "not exactly" is the only thing they ever do. Nor will I feel it reflects badly on Sam to not do more. I would have felt that it would have reflected even better if they didn't do that scene in the first place.
        Okay...you won't feel cheated but a lot of people would. And sure Sam could come to a conclusion that she doesn't want to be with Jack after all...but as that too would be written by the PTB, I'd consider that to be kind of a cop out after years of buildup.

And since this is what the writers apparently intended at the end of season 8...that they'd give it a go and see what comes of it...they should follow through with that story arc, especially since it would not hurt either the dynamic of the show or the team to do so. People who hated ship hated Season 8 and people who liked ship liked it...of course I'm speaking in major HONKIN' generalities...but go with me for a second. Since those that hate ship ain't going to change their minds and they're already irritated, why would TPTB want to irk the shippers who were happy with it by dropping the whole thing? Why not finish what they started and let the chips fall where they may? Just a thought there...

I don't need to see them in bed together or getting married or anything of that nature. I would however like there to be lines of dialogue written in to show that while Sam is the kickbutt soldier that she is, she is also exploring a relationship with Jack offscreen. That's all.

Otherwise, what was the point of Grace and Threads? All those things Sam decided she wanted for herself...she no longer wants it? She's ignoring herself and her father who urged her to "love someone and be loved in return"...to "have it all" and decided to go back to being all business-minded?

That would be a sad devolution for the character and an incredible fizzle after years of build up.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Yes, why is it that Sam is the only one shown to have a private life? How come we never see Daniel's private life? How come we only ever see Teal'c's life as a part of his not really fitting in on Earth? How come we only ever saw Jack's private life as being part of Sam's story? Could it be because she's the girl?

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
            Otherwise, what was the point of Grace and Threads?
            I've often wondered that myself, although perhaps not in the way that you mean. The only point to Threads, for me, was the first five minutes in which Ba'al featured. The rest of it was drivel.

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
              Yes, why is it that Sam is the only one shown to have a private life? How come we never see Daniel's private life? How come we only ever see Teal'c's life as a part of his not really fitting in on Earth? How come we only ever saw Jack's private life as being part of Sam's story? Could it be because she's the girl?
              Your question bears a little thought...why is it that they only delved into Sam's personal life?

Perhaps it was because the chemistry she had with Jack who was a full time team member. None of the others' relationships were of a show-altering variety...but Jack and Sam were. So for the show, the obstacle was the fact that a relationship between them would potentially decimate the focus of the show, which was the team of Jack, Sam, Teal'c and Daniel...and for the characters the obstacle was the ranks/regulations issue. As such, they both put duty and responsibility before personal interests.

Additionally, I think they chose to go down the road of showing character driven stories because RDA's schedule was lessening and with budgetary issues...and the most obvious was the dynamic between Jack and Sam.

But why focus on Sam's side and not Jack's? Well, canonly, we have two times where Jack verbalized his feelings for Sam to her and none onscreen of her doing so, so maybe they wanted to show the other side of the coin. Plus there's the added fact that Amanda's schedule was much more flexible than RDA's and therefore she could devote more time to filming.

Further, she is the girl and girl's tend to emote more than men so perhaps because it made for better drama? (I know I'm guessing here...but I'm trying to delve within the minds of the writers which can be a scary, lonely proposition... )

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

The writers have written Sam into a bad place, in terms of her romantic life. Despite all that "you're only pining for Jack cos he's 'safe' and you really deserbve better" stuff her various ids and superegos told her in Grace, she went on pining for Jack even through her engagement to someone else. Unpleasant as I find the whole S/J thing, it's now at the stage where it would, at last, make Sam look *better* if there's a S/J thing. Now that Jack isn't her boss it's feasible, right? In TV-land I'm sure it's feasible anyway. If Sam is having a proper romantic relationship with Jack and Jack acknowledges it and invests in the relationship too, then all the pining has a point and the cavalier treatment of Pete becomes less cavalier.

Jack never really addressed Sam's feelings for him. He showed no real romantic feelings for her, and although he must have noticed that she had a thing for him, he never did anything about it. That was bad of him; he should either have told her to get a grip and stop it, or he should have admitted that he reciprocated and then done something about it. Something a bit pro-active. It's far, far too late for Jack to do the Telling Her To Get A Grip thing, so he can go on ignoring it and looking wet, or he can shack up with her and look slightly less wet.

"Not exactly" was hardly a way to strengthen Sam's character. She's 40-ish, she'd surely know if she was in a relationship or not. "Not exactly"? What, she's seeing someone but they're still at Holding Hands? she's in a relationship but the guy doesn't know? she's seeing a married man? There's no nice place to go from "not exactly". Sam could have avoided the question - she had every right to avoid it. Or she could have said "yes" and refused to elaborate. That would have made the shippers happy, and wouldn't have made the noromos any less happy than 'not exactly' did.

My main objection to s/j ship has tended to be (a) onscreen, when it's not cringeworthy it's dull, (b) it's only apparrent on Sam's side and (c) it's been making Sam look daft. Well we're now at a stage where (a) the cringe factor and dullness wouldn't be an issue, since Jack's not onscreen any more, (b) it no longer matters if Jack starts showing Sam he wants coupledom cos of him not being in her Chain of Command, and (c) if Jack does choose coupledom Sam would look far less daft.

So as far as I'm concerned Jack and Sam have a nice little pad in Washington and he's picked out curtain fabric. Right, now that's sorted out, let's get on with all this Ori stuff, the antagonistic Jaffa guy, Vala's whereabouts, Cam getting a plot or two, Teal'c getting a few more lines...

Madeleine

Comment

Your question bears a little thought...why is it that they only delved into Sam's personal life?

Perhaps it was because the chemistry she had with Jack who was a full time team member. None of the others' relationships were of a show-altering variety...but Jack and Sam were. So for the show, the obstacle was the fact that a relationship between them would potentially decimate the focus of the show, which was the team of Jack, Sam, Teal'c and Daniel...and for the characters the obstacle was the ranks/regulations issue. As such, they both put duty and responsibility before personal interests.

Additionally, I think they chose to go down the road of showing character driven stories because RDA's schedule was lessening and with budgetary issues...and the most obvious was the dynamic between Jack and Sam.

But why focus on Sam's side and not Jack's? Well, canonly, we have two times where Jack verbalized his feelings for Sam to her and none onscreen of her doing so, so maybe they wanted to show the other side of the coin. Plus there's the added fact that Amanda's schedule was much more flexible than RDA's and therefore she could devote more time to filming.

Further, she is the girl and girl's tend to emote more than men so perhaps because it made for better drama? (I know I'm guessing here...but I'm trying to delve within the minds of the writers which can be a scary, lonely proposition... )
                  As previously stated, Sam and Jack have as much chemistry as roadkill. It's all on her side. He barely seems to notice her outside of being irritated at her technobabble.

Comment

The "not exactly" moment to me did Sam no favors. How are you not exactly single unless you are still waiting around for someone to make you definately not single? So Sam looks like she is still in a holding pattern. She already said in Grace that she would give up everything for him.

Jack could easily make it happen if it was important enough. But Jack didn't leave the airforce for her and is still in her chain of command. The only thing he definately offered to her in Threads was friendship. The "always" lines could have been written with Sam and Daniel or Teal'c.

You know what would make Sam a stronger character for me? A scene in which she has a talk with herself and says, "OK, Sam. He might have feelings for you but he is not willling to do anything about them. So you are not going to waste one more minute waiting around for him to decide what he wants. You are going to get on with your life and concentrate on your relationships with Mark and the kids, with Cassie, with your teammates. And if he decides later that he wants to give it a try, maybe you'll be available and maybe you won't."

And then have her get back to kick-butt soldier Sam, compassionate friend Sam and brilliant scientist Sam.
                    Jace

When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.

Abraham Joshua Heschel

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                      So as far as I'm concerned Jack and Sam have a nice little pad in Washington and he's picked out curtain fabric. Right, now that's sorted out, let's get on with all this Ori stuff, the antagonistic Jaffa guy, Vala's whereabouts, Cam getting a plot or two, Teal'c getting a few more lines...
                      Yep, with you on that. Let's move on.

I think that's my biggest problem with the S/J ship now, the fact that it never seems to end! True, I felt during season 7 and 8 that Sam and Jack had as much sizzle as cold gravy over mashed potatoes, but hey that was one of the storylines they chose to pursue. I don't have to like every single thing about the show and I can use the fast forward button as well as anyone else.

But Jack is gone.The storyline is over. (Thank goodness.) Or it should be over anyway, IMO. Yet it still lingers, irritating the shippers, who want "closure", whatever that might be, and irritating the anti/non-shippers, who are so desperately sick of the storyline that there are collective groans throughout the fandom whenever it's brought up.

So maybe TPTB should send out a press release or whatever, announcing "Sam and Jack are together Stargate fans! Rejoice or groan, whatever you want, but now let us never speak of this again."

All of the above is of course MHO. YMMV.

Comment

Okay...you won't feel cheated but a lot of people would.
                        Well, to be perfectly honest, a lot of people aren't in the room with me when I watch the show. More importantly, they aren't in my head. So, selfish or not, I don't give two hoots what a lot of people feel. I'm not a writer on the show. I don't need to worry about the audience in general. I only worry about me. And, I wouldn't like it. That's all that concerns me when I post. I don't watch tv by popular vote. I could easily say that a sign that she's continuing a relationship would make a lot of people feel cheated as well. Would that make you decide that because they feel this way, things shouldn't happen the way you want? Then, why should the fact that people who disagree with me would feel cheated have any bearing on how I feel? I'm not telling tptb they have to write it my way. I'm expressing that I would hate it and feel incredibly cheated if they did write it another way.

Since those that hate ship ain't going to change their minds and they're already irritated, why would TPTB want to irk the shippers who were happy with it by dropping the whole thing? Why not finish what they started and let the chips fall where they may? Just a thought there...
                        Well, this person who hates ship would be anything but irritated if they dropped it. I'd be dancing in the streets. I think a lot of people who hate ship would not just continue being irritated, but would stop being irritated. So, why would tptb want to give up a chance to stop irritating a portion of their audience when they have an ample opportunity with RDA being gone? These arguments could just as easily be made on the other side of things.

Otherwise, what was the point of Grace and Threads? All those things Sam decided she wanted for herself...she no longer wants it? She's ignoring herself and her father who urged her to "love someone and be loved in return"...to "have it all" and decided to go back to being all business-minded?
                        As for the bold, I've often wondered the same thing. But, I don't think ship is going to answer it for me. I pretty much think there was no point to Grace. It may not be the worst episode, but it was one of the most pointless. IMO, of course. Plus, again, we're down to the same thing. I don't need to see any hint, big or little, to make me believe that Sam has a life beyond the SGC. That's not important to the story. Also, Sam was not all business minded. It's like she's either got a romantic relationship, or she's an automan, nothing in between. Daniel didn't become all business minded after Sha're died, even though he hasn't been in a relationship. Teal'c wasn't all business minded in the period between Drey'auc (sp) and Ish'ta. Jack wasn't all business minded because he wasn't pursuing a relationship with anyone. Also, what you see as a long story arc, Jacob just falling into place with what started in Grace, I see as tptb just fitting something in that doesn't fit. You seem to see ship as this naturally developing storyline that needs to be finished. I see it as tptb saying, "hey, lets tack on some romance" And, they just kept tacking.
                        That would be a sad devolution for the character and an incredible fizzle after years of build up.[

Not in my opinion. Of course, this is all opinion, but to me, you can spend years developing something, but if it was a bad idea in the first place, you don't just keep going at it and at it just so that it doesn't fizzle. You cut your losses. And, I know that shippers disagree that it was a bad idea, but I can only speak for me.

Never in a million years would I have considered the dynamic between Jack and Sam if I was writing character driven stories. I would have thought of the much more interesting (imo) dynamic between Jack and Daniel. Or, possibly the dynamic between Jack and Sam as a mentor/mentee relationship. Now, that's something I would have found worth exploring. The wonderfully complex Daniel and Teal'c relationship, which is one of the things that can be salvaged from the ship fiasco, as they spent some more time exploring that. Or, hey, what about the Daniel and Sam dynamic? I always liked seeing them together, and it seemed to fizzle out with the ship. And, the woefully underused Sam and Teal'c dynamic. Heck, one reason I liked Space Race was the interaction between Daniel and Sam and Teal and Sam.

Further, she is the girl and girl's tend to emote more than men so perhaps because it made for better drama?
                        Er, um, eh. *The computer won't work if you take a bat to it* Jack emoting over Reetu Charlie? Or screaming at Daniel in Abyss? Daniel talking about the wonder Sha're found in the simplest things, and getting choked up? Calling Jack a stupid son of a *****? Teal'c telling Daniel that he couldn't win the virtual reality game? Or, heck, Sam Jacob in Secrets? All much better drama on my tv screen than anything with Jack and Sam. And, of all genders.
                        Last edited by Dani347; 26 November 2005, 02:29 PM.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

Just pointing out the obvious, here, but a LOT of plotlines have been "forgotten" over the past nine seasons and a lot of fans of certain characters/ideas have been completely shafted. Why should shippers be any different? You guys, of all people, have probably been treated the worst with the on-again, off-again BS of possibilities, insinuations, sly comments and stolen AU kisses. Did you guys really think that after nine seasons of taking it up the arse that TPTB would finally come clean and give you a straight answer?

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                            Jack never really addressed Sam's feelings for him. He showed no real romantic feelings for her, and although he must have noticed that she had a thing for him, he never did anything about it. That was bad of him; he should either have told her to get a grip and stop it, or he should have admitted that he reciprocated and then done something about it. Something a bit pro-active. It's far, far too late for Jack to do the Telling Her To Get A Grip thing, so he can go on ignoring it and looking wet, or he can shack up with her and look slightly less wet.
                            That's my biggest gripe with the whole relationship... It was basically all Sam... which makes me come back to the conclusion that I made when I first joined the forum... that they were trying to appeal to a certain demographic and it was tacked on to give the show another "dimension". They made the appeal from the perspective of a female role model. Jack as far as I could tell, looked as indifferent as a brick wall. From a marketing point of view it appeared to have succeeded because for a large number of fans, this relationship seems to be one of the major reasons or THE major reasons why they watch the show. If it wasn't, why make a fuss about which way it goes? I don't watch Stargate for romance so I couldn't give two hoots whether Sam and Jack ever hook up 'till death do us part...
                            I like a good romance as much as the next person but I don't like to be hoodwinked into thinking that something exists when it doesn't or that it's just a drawcard. This is why I strenuously resist any notion that Sam and Jack needs to be together because I don't see that they do. I'm not offended by the existence of that relationship but I'm completely indifferent to it because the writing is indifferent. If the writers wanted to convince a greater number of people that this was the OTP then they would have worked A LOT harder at it. As is, I don't think they really believed in it in the first place... there has nothing been in their track record to suggest that it was an integral part of the storyline, that it contributed to Sam or Jack's character.

So, selfish or not, I don't give two hoots what a lot of people feel. I'm not a writer on the show. I don't need to worry about the audience in general. I only worry about me. And, I wouldn't like it. That's all that concerns me when I post. I don't watch tv by popular vote. I could easily say that a sign that she's continuing a relationship would make a lot of people feel cheated as well. Would that make you decide that because they feel this way, things shouldn't happen the way you want? Then, why should the fact that people who disagree with me would feel cheated have any bearing on how I feel? I'm not telling tptb they have to write it my way. I'm expressing that I would hate it and feel incredibly cheated if they did write it another way.
                            As far as I'm concerned that's what it boils down to... who are TPTB trying to please? I'm more than happy for them to please themselves... If they want to botch things up... it's their perogative... I can exercise my remote control perogative and watch something else if I don't like the direction they're taking. I don't have to like everything I watch on a television show I watch and I seldom do. But if it gets unbearable, I can spend that 1 hour more profitably elsewhere.
                            I realise that producers/writers have to make some kind of gesture towards fandom now and then to keep the juggernaut going but in cases like this, it doesn't matter what they do... somebody is going to throw a hissy fit. So it behooves us as individuals make a decision as to whether we like what we see.

As for the bold, I've often wondered the same thing. But, I don't think ship is going to answer it for me. I pretty much think there was no point to Grace. It may not be the worst episode, but it was one of the most pointless. <snip> You seem to see ship as this naturally developing storyline that needs to be finished. I see it as tptb saying, "hey, lets tack on some romance" And, they just kept tacking.
                            I couldn't agree more... Grace was, IMO, pointless and quite boring... The Unas were boring but at least they weren't pointless... I guess Grace me took me by surprise because, out of the blue, Sam became angsty. I've always thought Sam to be a rather uncomplicated person. Probably the least complicated person in the team. She had a great career which combined two of her great loves and she threw herself into these two roles. Suddenly she became brooding Sam and it felt rather jarring. I realise people change but not that much... and certainly not from just getting a bop on the head. There was no sense previous to the episode that something was brewing. If there was, I would have found the episode far more convincing.
                            My feeling while watching this was that the producers/writers suddenly remembered that Sam had a thing for Jack and thought "Well, we need to save money for Lost City so let's see what we can do with Sam soliloquizing".

In my very humble and honest opinion, I don't really want to see any more of Sam and Jack especially if RDA really has had enough of Stargate and all we're going to see is the usual awkward exchanges. To revisit S/J would be flogging the proverbial dead horse.
                            sigpic
                            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                              I guess Grace me took me by surprise because, out of the blue, Sam became angsty. I've always thought Sam to be a rather uncomplicated person. Probably the least complicated person in the team. She had a great career which combined two of her great loves and she threw herself into these two roles. Suddenly she became brooding Sam and it felt rather jarring. I realise people change but not that much... and certainly not from just getting a bop on the head.

I agree. Sam had always seemed like the least angsty person on the team. She had her share of sad times, but nothing as dark in her past as Daniel, Jack, or Teal'c. But, that was okay. It didn't make her less of a character. Not to me. And, then, she's suddenly going through all this turmoil on a ship. Because her life is lacking, which she never seemed to feel before. Not from what I saw.

Comment

I agree. Sam had always seemed like the least angsty person on the team. She had her share of sad times, but nothing as dark in her past as Daniel, Jack, or Teal'c. But, that was okay. It didn't make her less of a character. Not to me. And, then, she's suddenly going through all this turmoil on a ship. Because her life is lacking, which she never seemed to feel before. Not from what I saw.
                                I see Sam slightly differently. She's a female in a male dominated, and make that a jealously male dominated, culture. She's succeeded with honors and is where she wants to be. But Sam's a person with a dark side that, like others, is not always visible. True, I'm inferring this because the writers gave her military career as a fait accompli; the only struggle apparently was besting Jack O'Neill at their first meeting. In Prodigy,
                                Spoiler:
                                she goes to bat for Haley, and the CO asks if the girl reminds Sam of herself. He's referring to the chip on Haley's shoulder, her need to be the best, etc.
                                . Not a lot, but in the setting we are given, there's something there.

Sad that the writers didn't have time to scope Sam's past the way we got Daniel (kicked out of the University for his theories), Teal'c (his father's death, family outcasts, training with Bra'Tac) and Jack (black ops past, death of his son).

Just sayin, everyone (male, female, alien) has insecurities. Who knows when they will out? Sam's inner life has been limited by the writers but I don't think Grace was such a leap; late but not a leap. Boring would seem to me to be the always right, ever and only dutiful Sam. Just MHO.
                                MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                                sigpic
                                Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Working...
                                X