General Ship ( Relationship) Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    And it isn't IN YOUR FACE in every single ep, it can be brought out when it's convenient and it doesn't have to overwhelm whatever the main plotline is.
    well, shadow, i can see how your theory works (in theory ), but then there was daniel-vala.... and daniel-vala.... and did i mention danie-vala?

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

But the only ep I've seen of S9 is TPTB and I had never seen Vala before then. And hope to never see her again.

Comment

Shep'sSocks: It's the over the top lunatics that I wanna stomp on. And I do, as people know - woof!
        There's enough lunacy to go around with shippers. It's not restricted to just that one group (not to mention, the lunatics make up a very, very small percentage of said group).
        Earth...steaks. There's a difference?

Comment

As for the subject of the thread... Just because two people are the leads doesn't mean they automatically have chemistry, or that their chemistry is of a romantic nature.

Yes, I know that banter can be fun. Even I like to see good banter, but when it comes to the double entendre-y stuff, I prefer it in moderation and NOT as the first step in an escalating orgy of romantic tension.

Sometimes a joke is just a joke.
          Last edited by ShadowMaat; 22 August 2005, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skye1974
            There's enough lunacy to go around with shippers. It's not restricted to just that one group (not to mention, the lunatics make up a very, very small percentage of said group).

True, but the wind up factor with a particular member is always amusing.

That said, my least favourite fan group has nowt to do with ship at all. Because it's all about Daniel, you know.

Comment

I just want to remind people that this is the SHIP Discussion thread not the SHIPPER Discussion thread so please debate the subject of ship to your (general your) hearts content but please leave actual groups of people out of it. Thanks.

Shipperahoy
              Gateworld Moderator

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Reviving this thread in hopes of moving some discussions on other threads into a more appropriate arena. *sigh*

If I hate ship on SG-1, it goes double for Atlantis.

I know that initial character descriptions listed Teyla as Sheppard's "love interest" and I loathed both the producers AND the character for that.

Recently, they've decided to ramp up the Weir/Shep factor and (in my opinion) it is absolutely DREADFUL to watch. I've said it before, I'll say it again: TPTB can't write decent ship. They MUTILATE the characters every time they try.

Ya know, I was beginning to like Weir. She was a bit wishy washy last season and wasn't given a lot to do, but THIS season it seems like the entire focal point of her existence is Sheppard. She fights to defend him (when last season she was going head-to-head with him), she gets unreasonably (IMO) worried when he doesn't report in on time and she's willing to waste valuable resources in order to try and "save" him... risking the safety of the ENTIRE CITY in the process.

WHY is it that in any attempted "relationship" it's always the woman who ends up acting like a lobotomized puppy? It destroyed Sam for me on SG-1 and now it's destroying Weir on Atlantis.

They can be strong, independent characters, but as soon as they start mooning after their chosen (by TPTB) men, whatever intelligence and reason they have goes flying out the window. Ye gods, people. Whatever happened to "equal footing"? Whatever happened to a woman being able to maintain her personal integrity WITHOUT having to sacrifice it on the altar of "true love"?

Comment

I don't think that Weir's been mutilated. She fights to defend him, because personal reasons aside, she knows that John is more sympathetic to the civilian's interests, whereas someone like Caldwell would be very much sympathetic to military interests and may try to cut her out completely.

She gets worried, yes, but she tries to keep it at a professional level, sending only those who are able to be of use. She's not being willy nilly panicking or anything. And do you think that if John felt the same way, and their positions were reversed that he wouldn't have done the same?

Visit the stargate_pad LJ community; a pairing a day for the stargate fandom.

Comment

Reasonable? Lost Boys
                    Spoiler:
                    I don't call sending "every available team we have" out to search FIFTY PLANETS to be reasonable, especially not when every venture offworld (particularly to unknown destinations) risks getting them discovered by the Wraith.

Comment

But they're already venturing off-world, and they've encountered the wraith in S2. And you don't think John would have done the same?

Comment

He probably would have, but:

A) Weir doesn't go offworld nearly as often, so her disappearance would be more remarkable.
                        B) I guess I consider Weir to be more important than Sheppard.

Either way, I don't know if I'd entirely approve of Shep doing it, either.

Comment

Well Shep is commander of military, and judging from some of what went on in Seige and Intruder, I'd think he's on equal footing and he could be more, if he didn't respect Weir enough to not wrest control from her.

Comment

Stumbling in here to add that ship triangles on Atlantis are a very, VERY bad idea. Having Shep torn between Elizabeth or Teyla or Elizabeth torn between Shep or Rodney would absolutely ruin the show for me. Keep it in fanfic, please.

It's bad enough that TPTB seem to be playing around with various ships and driving all the fans crazy. If they're going to do a ship, do it. Don't play around with all possible combinations to determine what gets the best fan response. In the end it's only going to weaken any actual canon ship, since it implies that TPTB weren't committed to that ship from the start.

Comment

Ship triangles aren't such a bad thing. I think in S1 they were exploring the dynamics of the characters. And having different ships is what makes it fun, so long as you don't get too fanatical about it. I mean really, you can ship S/W and S/T at the same time or even W/S/T. *hides from other rabid fangirls* Fanon is there to celebrate canon, but it's also there to explore that which we want to be canon. It's all about keeping a bit more open-minded.
                              Last edited by ubiquitous; 14 October 2005, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ubiquitous
                                Ship triangles aren't such a good thing. I think in S1 they were exploring the dynamics of the characters...
                                Dynamics, yes! Dynamic as in motion, instability, change, energy.

I've practically never shipped - there's only one potential relationship on the whole of TV where I've actively hoped that a true relationship would result. But there are plenty of shows where I'm happy to go with the flow as far as relationships go. And virtually all of them fit what I - a mathematician - understand by Dynamics.

A relationship that I enjoy has to make sense and in many cases has to evolve. The ones that merely make sense - the happy married couple types - are at points of stable equilibrium, like planets in orbit or like tennis balls in the middle of a skateboard ramp. A little jolt can set them spinning or shuddering but they'll settle back to where they belong soon enough. Nice, comfy, no evolution necessary.

The ones that need to evolve are the ones that don't start with equilibrium: the meteor hurtling toward the planet, the tennis balls being kicked around by schoolchildren. The characters are mismatched due to coming from different directions, or they are kept apart by external forces that they truly can't control. Evolution can take different forms: The meteor might crash, or it might miss and zoom of into eternity. One tennis ball might get taken home at teatime and the other get lost in a bramble bush. Or perhaps the meteor falls into an orbit and the tennis balls are both taken back to the same toy drawer. If the evolution is towards comfy equilibrium that makes sense just as much as evolution to doom and despair .

What I really dislike is when there is neither equilibrium nor motion. The meteor needs to DO something sooner or later, it can't start off three days from impact with the planet and still be two days from impact five seasons later. The tennis balls can't both perch halfway up the skateboard ramp and not fall. It doesn't make sense.

That's a good deal of my trouble with Sam and Jack, and it's also a fear I have for S/W and T/S. I'm not too bothered if there's a ship, but I really hope they either go the whole hog and have a proper nice relationship out of it, or do the Dynamics thing and have shifting alleigances, rows and jealousy before drawing a line under any ship that doesn't get ratified. Except that I don't trust very many writers to do that sort of thing well. No ship please, I'm skittish.

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                                X