Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
    i agree.

but why the joe indifference?
    Maybe he just doesn't know anything. Shanks doesn't know anything more than anyone else, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
      i'm not going to re buy all my dvd's just for a clearer picture. my HDMl is good enough
      You can play DVDs in a blue ray player. But more importantly whatever the media is supply and demand will dictate one viewing medium will someday DVDs rather they be bllue ray or something else.
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...pdate-mailbag/

February 11, 2010

Photos: Lulu, Atlantis artwork

Last day at the office before the Olympic hiatus and I finally completed the rewrite for Awakening (episode 3). Prep has already begun on the first episode up, Pathogen (actually episode 4), with our special guest director. In other writerly news, Paul and Carl are brainstorming #6 and #7, while Rob and Remi look to tackle #8 and #9. Looks like Linda and I (or, more appropriately given the slotting) will double-team on #10 and #11, leaving Brad to tackle #12.

Today’s Olympic update comes courtesy of Time.com and a piece titled “Vancouver’s Olympic Village: Let the Bailout Games Begin: http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...963439,00.html. Vancouver’s Olympic village ended up costing a tad more than the $47 million price tag originally envisioned. How much more? According to the article: “in early 2009, new Vancouver mayor Gregor Robertson declared that taxpayers were “on the hook” for the $1 billion project.” As my second grade teacher Mrs. Vowels used to say: “That’s an ouchie!”.

Mailbag:

Tammy Dixon writes: “One thing he said I question the accuracy: “Joe’s all-time favorite snack is processed cheese slices microwaved on Salted Premium Crackers. Fact.” Processed cheese? Mr. M.? Really?”

Answer: No, not really. I’m more of a nutella on powdered doughnuts with milk kind of guy.

Michael writes: “Mallozzi-san, Spoiler TV reported casting is underway for a 6-7 epiosde recurring villain named Simeon, a member of the Lucian Alliance. Is this true and any further comment?”

Answer: I checked and can confirm that, yes, it does appear to be true that a site is reporting casting is underway for that particular part.

Jean writes: “Creation just posted a notice that all the Stargate sets are in various stages of being struck (including the Atlantis set I presume). Does this mean no movie for sure?”

Answer: Many have weighed in with their assumptions on if and when the movies will be made and, at this point, given that we’ve received no official word either way, all I could add to debate is more conjecture. Suffice it to say I’d love to see both go into production, especially Stargate: Extinction since Paul and I have already written the script and are slated to produced it. As for the sets – the SG-1 set was struck to make room for Icarus Base while other stage space has been freed up in order to create more Destiny sets (as our heroes will eventually discover cool new sections of the ship).

Majorsal writes: “joe, no response to michael shanks interview remarks”

Answer: Not sure what kind of a response you’re expecting. Yes, I can confirm that, Michael Shanks feels it’s unlikely there will be another SG-1 movie.

Luis writes: “Is MGM going to continue to put out Half Seson’s DVD box sets of SGU?”

Answer: Sorry, no idea. Not my department.

Narelle from Aus writes: “Poor Brie Will she have doggy companions once settled in her new home?”

Answer: Not for now? But who knows what the future holds.

Scifan writes: “Also, if such times comes(which I hope it doesn’t) would you tell us what was suppose to happen for the SGA movie?”

Answer: The script is in the studio’s hands. It’s up to them what to reveal and when.

Shiloh writes: “If so, and if they asked, would you ever want to try your hand at a novel and do it yourself?”

Answer: Again, that would be up to MGM. If the movie doesn’t get made, I think a novelization would be a great idea – but I wouldn’t be the one to write it.

DP writes: “Brie looks so sad with her going away bag. Bag? She’s a dog. What’s with the bag?”

Answer: She was flying in-cabin rather than cargo.

Chevron7 writes: “Awww Brie….so sad…are the dogs wandering around looking for her or do they get it?”

Answer: Lulu has seemed a little bummed of late.

Shawn Cassidy writes: “Was wondering about the cool looking Atlantis Pen and Ink artwork on the wall behind you in those pictures. Can you possibly take a picture of that artwork and post it.”

Answer: Sure. I first posted this picture back on October 4 of 2007. James Raiz is the hugely talented artist and you can check out his blog here: http://jamesraizart.blogspot.com/

dasNdanger writes: “Can you elaborate on this? Are you looking to move on, perhaps to pursue creative possibilities in other cities (or even in other mediums), or something else?”

Answer: I’ve been with the franchise for going on 12 years now and while I’m still enjoying myself, I think that whenever SGU comes to an end, it might be nice to try something a little different. Like, maybe, a musical.

PBMom writes: “Oh my! I won!”

Answer: Yes! Now respond to my email and send me your mailing address!
        sigpic
        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

lol I won. Too bad I'm too much of a ### to buy a blue ray player but DVD will have to due. Hopefully it will arrive soon because I'm bored as hell. By the way Joe named the two new writers by their first names yesterday (Remi who was in the picture from his super bowl party and Linda). Does anyone know their full names and previous work.
          Last edited by Darren; 13 February 2010, 02:57 AM.

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...p-me-out-here/

February 12, 2010

Photos: Vietnamese coffee, Theresa, Alan McCullough, Dinner, Cafe Crepe

The other day, my friend Theresa called me up out of the blue. She was in town for an audition, was free for dinner, and wondered whether I might be interested in getting together. She felt like pho, so we headed over to Thai Son on East Broadway where we enjoyed – well, pretty much one of everything: spring rolls, the house pho, lemon grass chicken and pork, pork fluff, and a sweet and savory seafood crepe stuffed with shrimp and squid. For dessert, Theresa went with the Vietnamese Coffee and told me all about her experience on the Chinese version of Dancing With the Stars. I would love to have seen it, not so much for the dancing, but for the fact that she’d marked the occasion by sporting a blond do. Anyway, it was lovely seeing her, as always, and now we can get to work on our super secret project.

The other day, I received another surprise call. It was former Stargate writer-producer Alan McCullough who was back in town to start work on Sanctuary’s third season. His timing was perfect as I was making plans for my Superbowl party, so he joined us Sunday and then, days later, we got together for dinner at Re-Fuel.

Suffice it to say, Re-Fuel ranks up their as one of my dogs’ favorite restaurants given that, whenever I go, I always bring back leftovers “for sharing”.

Then, last night, I got together with my friend Tomo who heads back to Japan next weekend. We went to Tojo’s. She was 45 minutes late. Note to google: “Tojo’s changed location three years ago. Please update your directions!”

After dinner, we took an evening stroll through Chapters and then went for coffee…

Well, at least that was the intention. No sooner had we taken a seat at a booth than we were politely asked to leave. Turns out that their downtown location was hopping and the manager ordered the staff to shut down and get down there. Sorry.

We ended up taking the hostess’s advice and going to a place called Cafe Barney where we enjoyed (?) a pumpkin cheesecake that tasted like a 100% synthetic chemical creation.

As I say goodbye to Tomo, I say hello to another Japanese friend who flies in for a ten day visit next week. I plan to spend the next few days changing light bulbs, making up the guest room, steam vaccing the theater room carpet, finally replacing the lock on my garage door, and generally making the place more presentable. Of course if we all pitched in, we’d get it done in no time. So who’s with me?! Great! Okay, here are your assigned tasks:

Ponytail, vvv0472 and Kabra – You guys are on light-bulb-changing duty. One of you unpacks the bulbs, one of you replaces them, and one of you holds the ladder.

Gilder – You’re on vacuum duty.

PoorOldEdgarDerby – You’re on steam vac. Make sure you get the corners.

DP and Airelle – Wipe down the theater chairs. The leather restore is underneath the basement sink.

PG15 – Make sure all the bathrooms are fully stocked with soap, towels, and toilet paper.

Gen – The dishes aint gonna wash themselves.

Das – You seem the handy type – which I’m not – so why don’t you install the new garage door lock.

Tannie and Tammy Dixon – You two are on laundry duty which includes washing, drying, AND folding.

Avabird and Michael A. Burstein – Please make sure the guest room is fully stocked with soaps, toothpaste, and shampoo.

Quade1 and PBMom – Wipe down the tubs.

noelm, Thornyrose and PaganX – The DVD room is a mess. Shame on you! Please organize and alphabetize all the titles in their proper sections: comedies in Comedy, t.v. in T.V., and Japanese horror movies with deadly yo yo-wielding schoolgirls under Japanese Yo Yo Horror.

Anais – Jetez les vieux fruits.

PJR – Empty the fridge.

Vojtech Gabriel – Clean the fridge.

Wahlyn – Put everything back in the fridge.

Joel and Michael – Dusting and mopping the hardwood and kitchen floors.

Matt Silver, Susan the Tartan Turtle, Narelle from Aus, and Sylvia – Each of you pick a dog. Bathe them, clean their ears, wipe under their nose folds, then dry them off and pat them down with baby powder so that they smell their best.

Sheryl, Barbao, and Jean – Empty the various garbages and toss them in the big bin. It’s in the garage.

Bailey and DeeinSouthAfrica – Recyclables in the recycling blue box.

Scarym and Iamza – Newsprint in the blue baggies and cardboard and everything else in the yellow ones.

Deni, Shirt ‘n ‘Tie, and Chevron7 – Go through all the shoes, ditch the ones that are past saving, then shine the rest. I want to see my reflection in them!

Cherluvya and Annie from Freemantle: Alphabetize the liquor, from Absinthe to Wild Turkey.

cat4444, Eric.Stewart, Wade, and Randomness – Hit the supermarket for some fresh fruit and veggies. Nothing too tart and nothing too bitter. I like my bananas fairly ripe. And see if you can track down some fresh figs.

Ytimyona and Shiloh – Have the beds been made? I didn’t think so either. What are you waiting for?

Shawn Cassidy, Siba, Bloomgate, and Sparrow_hawk – The library is a mess. Re-shelf everything and throw out those back issues of Flare, Style At Home, and Victoria’s Secret. No, wait. Better hang on to the Victoria’s Secret catalogues. They may be worth something some day.

Sue and duneknight – Could you please toss out those phone books! They must be at least give years old!

Patricia Lee, Shiningwit, fsmn36, Ganymede, Pol, and Bilo&Bella – Everyone grab a lint-roller and de-lint/de-fur every item of clothing on the premises. Wait! JYS, Marsha_R, Jojo and Paloosa – You’d better help.

Shadow Step – You’re on toilet duty.

Scifan, Majorsal, Luis, Kiwiclare, and Joshua Meyers – Office! Filing!

Teal’c_PI, Janet, Pastry Girl, and Bryan M. White – The windows need washing, inside and out.

Debra – You’re ironing the dress shirts.

Malibunextyear – You’re hanging up the dress shirts after they’ve been ironed. Try to color coordinate – white with whites, purples with purples.

Maj. Cliffhanger, Maggiemayday, Arctic Goddess, Luvnjack, and Jonathan Quirk – Those plants in the front yard are dead. Please dispose of them.

E, DaffyDave, Steve C, and MadWelshBoy – Those plants in the back yard are dead. Please dispose of them.

Rob Ward, Shadowesque, Major D. Davis, and Susiekew – Those plants in the house are dead. Please dispose of them.

AndyBrind, Suziesbluefeather, Shiningwit Fargate One, and Rex Carter – Please find out why the sump pump keeps making that noise. And fix it.

Tim Lade, Cindee, BrandonW, Cody, and Elminster – Get to work on that outline.

Everyone else – Look busy!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lowriders95s10 View Post
              By the way Joe named the two new writers by their first names yesterday (Remi who was in the picture from his super bowl party and Linda). Does anyone know their full names and previous work.
              Remi Aubuchon helped to launch Caprica. Not sure why he would go from an executive producer role to simply writing for SGU. But the guy in the SuperBowl photo sure does look like him!
              GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
              The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
              Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Thanks I think what happened was that the Caprica pilot was shot so long ago that when it looked like it might not be picked up he went to work on Persons Unknown and was unavailable when the rest of the first season was being shot.

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ul-restaurant/

February 13, 2010

Photos: Dinner at Peaceful Restaurant

First off, thanks to everyone who chipped and helped clean up. To those of your regulars and semi-regulars I didn’t name, I limited myself to those who had posted in the last two days figuring they’d be in the neighborhood. Don’t feel left out because the floors will need a fresh buff before Tuesday morning. Again, thanks. The house is spotless. Now, if someone can just tell me where you guys put Lulu and the silverware…

Well, it seems that on-again/off-again comic book series is back on again. Between now and Monday, I need to put deliver a breakdown of the first four issue story arc.

Oh, in case you missed the opening ceremonies of the Olympics – like I did – here’s a link to the highlight: http://erictric.com/2010/02/13/vanco...-malfunctions/. Meanwhile, amid the sea of rah-rah-rah press, comes this refreshing look at the games by The Guardian’s Douglass Haddow: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...lympics-police.

I realized that in posting pics of some of my recent meals, I forgot to upload pics of a wonderful dinner I enjoyed at one of my favorite casual restaurants in Vancouver: Peaceful Restaurant. On the night we visited, the name of the restaurant felt like bit of a misnomer given that a shouting match in the open kitchen resulted in one of the cooks being reduced to tears, but that did little to detract from our visit. Peaceful specializes in the cuisine of Northern China so the food here tends to be heartier than its southern counterpart. Noodles, steamed buns, pork, and lamb take center stage, and the dishes are boldly spiced.

If you’re in the Vancouver area and looking for a terrific low-budget meal, head on over: http://www.peacefulrestaurant.com/index.html.
                  sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...reality-check/

February 14, 2010

Happy Valentines Day! I celebrated by thinking warm thoughts of each and every one of you. And pan-frying some chicken livers with caramelized onions and a plum port reduction.

While many were celebrating the start of the Olympics, many others were protesting…well, I’m not exactly sure what the hell they were protesting. I’m sure there was a point to that big gathering in downtown Vancouver the other day but, unfortunately, whatever message those in attendance were attempting to convey was trumped by the violence that broke out, with demonstrators breaking shop windows, vandalizing cars, and assaulting police officers. According to event idiot, I mean organizer, Alissa Westergard-Thorpe, there was some property damage but “the people who committed the damage were not the ones arrested” (http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca...hub=OttawaHome). Yes, I’m sure that fellow reportedly nabbed wielding a bicycle chain was in the midst of fixing his ride when that crowd spontaneously formed around him. Hope he found his bike! Other poor, misunderstood protesters were no doubt victims of “intellectual profiling”, a practice that targets perfectly innocent imbeciles stupid enough to mask their faces in a crowd peopled by perfectly guilty imbeciles who also happen to be masking their faces. I know, I know. I’m sure they were only wearing masks because their skin is very sensitive and can’t take direct sunlight – and now they have to pay the price. How unfair! Protest idiot, uh, I mean organizer, Alissa Westergard-Thorpe refused to condemn the vandalism. ”People can choose the tactics that they like,” she said. According to her, what went down was non-violent because no one was hurt. So, to be clear, in her books destroying public and private property is perfectly acceptable in the name of free speech. Which is good to know. Thus, in the future,sould Ms. Westergard-Thorpe ever find herself the victim of a property crime, she can simply chalk it up to someone’s freedom of expression.

Well, guess all the faux-anarchists and wanna-be rebels can pack up their marbles and return to their self-loathing middle-class existences. Until the next protest they can hijack!

Speaking of the Winter Games – echoing the Olympic spirit of friendship, dignity, and mutual respect, Canada handed Slovakia a humiliating 18-0 ass-kicking in Women’s Hockey. Boy, that makes me proud to be Canadian!

Hey, apparently Canada won its first gold medal on Canadian soil. I believe it was in log-rolling or something.

Reality television is an insidious creation that appeals to the basest of human fascinations, robbing audiences of the opportunity to view far more artistic, intellectually-challenging programming. As a writer and a producer, I am strongly opposed to it. In principle. Having said that – hey, who watched the series premieres of Survivor and The Amazing Race? First off, this latest installment of Survivor may prove to be my favorite yet with some of my favorite past villains (Russell, Boston Rob, Parvati, Randy, Coach and Tyson) pitted against some of my favorite past heroes (Cirie, Amanda, Rupert and James). I’m not at all sure why Coach is in the villain’s camp. While admittedly annoying, he certainly sees himself as a hero and does play the part with astounding earnestness. I don’t know. Maybe I like him because he reminds of my cousin. Also, not sure why Survivor’s number one villain and winner of the very first season of Survivor, Richard Hatch, wasn’t invited to participate. And, speaking of glaring omissions, where’s perennial fan fave Ozzy? Surely he should’ve scored an invite to the heroes’ table?

The Amazing Race, on the other hand, got off to its typically slow start. As always, it takes me a couple of episodes to really get back into the show. Still, the premiere offered up some entertaining instances, my fave being the guy, afraid of heights, who decides to prove his masculinity by tackling the vertigo-inducing high-wire challenge – and failing miserably on all counts. Also, I hope someone remembers to feed those cowboys otherwise I fear they may not be long for this world.
                    sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...lympic-update/

February 15, 2010

Photos: Lulu, Maximus, Bubba, Jelly

Videos: Bubba and Maximus, Lulu

Today, I completed all of my last-minute preparations for Akemi’s arrival. I shined my shoes, steam-vacced the theater room carpet, did laundry, organized the dvd room, and, most importantly, bathed the dogs so that they could be smelling their best. Earlier today, on the prospective comic book front, I completed a breakdown of the first four issue story arc which will serve as the springboard to the comic book series and, if all goes as planned, the two hour pilot for the television series (or possibly the first feature in an ongoing film series). Yes, it’s SF. Yes, it’s colorful character-driven action-adventure. And, yes, it’s fun. More details to come…

Yesterday was actually quite nice and, as is customary on sunny days, the dogs congregate on that lone patch of sunlight by the front door and stare at me until I feel guilty and take them out.

Bubba goes nuts for walks. On this occasion, he’s relatively low-key. Maybe the camera made him self-conscious.

Lulu is given to doing this weird landed-paratrooper-behind-enemy-lines-advance.

Umm, yeah. As it turns out, Canada didn’t actually earn that gold medal. It was given to us by the judges (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/van...urn=oly,219819). Let’s face it – judged events are a load of crap as evidenced by past scandals and suspect scorings. Yes, people generally dismiss the criticisms because they’re too fixated on being happy for the winner who, inevitably, sacrificed so much to get the gold – as opposed to all of the other athletes who sacrificed just as much, came up short, and thus don’t deserve our sympathy.

Speaking of which – hey, look what I found! http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ls.html?cat=14 Of course the IOC is always quick to act in such scandalous instances. For instance, when Roy Jones Jr. was robbed of a gold medal at the 1988 Seoul Olympics “the later 1997 IOC investigation swept the scandal under the rug”. Uh, okay. That wasn’t a good example. However, the IOC proved itself much more proactive when, in response to the 2002 skating scandal, “the scandal was partly defused by upgrading the Canadians to Gold, resulting in two Gold Medal-winning teams that year.” Isn’t that wonderful? We’re all winners! What’s particularly vexing is that these judges face little in the way of any real consequences. In the case of the 1988 boxing scandal, there was no official finding of wrongdoing. In the case of the case of the 2002 skating scandal, two of the judges were barred from participating in the 2006 Olympics. A lousy suspension?! How about replacing them with actual competent and/or ethical judges?

And then there’s this sobering article from The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/o...d-1899592.html) that calls Canada on its poor sportsmanship – among other things.
                      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-playing-host/

February 16, 2010

Photos: Airport sights, Akemi, lunch, Robson Street, dinner

Having already established that I am unable to sleep through the night prior to a day on which I fly out, I can now confirm that I am unable to sleep through the night prior to a day someone flies in – if I’m charged with the task of either picking them up or dropping them off. Last night, I was up every hour, then every half hour, then, as dawn broke, every fifteen minutes, convinced I was going to sleep in and miss the scheduled 10:50 a.m. pick-up time. As it turned out, by the time I woke up, worked out, tended to the dogs, showered, and made the drive to the airport, I had plenty of time to wait around for nearly an hour while Akemi cleared customs.

Since Akemi was tired from the long flight, we decided to push lunch and head back to my place where she got settled into one of the guest rooms (I decorated her bed with the various stuffed toys I picked up on my recent trips to Tokyo including, my favorite, a giant tea-drinking radish!) after which she got to know the dogs. I’m pleased to report they hit it off. Her and Lulu, especially, are getting on like gangbusters. Whatever the hell that means. If it means they’re getting along really well, then, yes, that. Anyway, throwing caution to the wind, I decided to drive downtown in the hopes that: a) I would not get stuck in traffic and b) I would be able to find parking. I didn’t. And I did.

We had a late lunch at Don Francesco -

We decided to, if not exactly skip then delay dessert, and go for a walk.

We strolled up and down Robson Street, taking in the, uh, sights.

We went by Granville Island, picked up some produce, then headed back home where we made dinner.

Akemi’s exhausted and going to call it an early night. I’m off to fish one of the three books I’m reading.

Finally – I heard that the Frenchie lost the Westminster Dog Show title to a Scottish Terrier. Now what was I just saying about the judged events?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                          Finally – I heard that the Frenchie lost the Westminster Dog Show title to a Scottish Terrier. Now what was I just saying about the judged events?
                          Yonder scottie was much nicer than the frenchie but honestly, Joseph, Group at Westminister's nothing to sneeze at.

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...lympic-update/

February 17, 2010

Photos: Dogs, Akemi, dinner

Finished (not “fished”) two of my three books last night (I would’ve gone back and corrected the entry, but then that would have left those of you correcting me in the comments section looking silly. So, instead, I’ll just look silly myself – which I’m kind of used to anyway). Akemi, meanwhile, is having all sorts of fun bonding with the dogs who have taken to trotting out their can’t fail routines like…

Today, we went for lunch at one of my favorite dim sum places in Vancouver – Sea Harbour Seafood Restaurant in Richmond – and ended up eating waaaaaaaaaay too much.

After lunch, we hit the T&T Supermarket over at Yaohan Mall where, if I wasn’t already stuffed, I would have certainly picked up one of these -

Once back on the home front, the dogs guilted us into taking them for walks – after which they just wanted to hang out…

Olympic update. Congratulations, Canada. The rest of the world thinks we’re acting like jerks: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/2...626/story.html

Meanwhile, David Letterman calls bull**** on the I.O.C. spin: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Let...054/story.html

In keeping with our Olympic theme, let’s check out a list of the Top 10 Worst Olympic Mascots: http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-worst-olympic-mascots.php

Today’s entry is dedicated to birthday individual Thasc.
                            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ime-for-bubba/

February 18, 2010

Photos: Dinner at ReFuel

Video: Bath-time for Bubba

I feel like I’m a character in one of those Final Destination movies. The reason? Well, way back when I was in fourth grade, I was helping my gym glass set up the trampoline. At one point, a section of the equipment clamped down on my fingers but I was able to quickly slip my hand away without suffering any damage. Stevie Robertson, a classmate who would later gain some Allancroft Elementary School-level fame by pummeling a bully two grades his senior, was standing nearby and remarked: “You just got your fingers massacred.” “No,”I told him. “I’m fine.” And wiggled my fingers to show him I had escaped any serious injury. Then, seconds later, a section of the trampoline sprang back and broke my arm, snapping the wrist in two places. What has stuck with me about that incident – besides the horrific injury sustained, the six hours I spent at the Lakeshore General Hospital emergency room waiting for treatment, or the fact that they eventually realized they’d set the bone incorrectly and had to re-break it – was that brush with danger and disaster, not denied as I’d originally imagined, but merely delayed.

Flash-forward to this morning. The dogs had come back in from the backyard but I couldn’t find Lulu, so I went outside to look for her – not realizing she was upstairs in Akemi’s room, trying to rustle our guest out of bed. I’m not exactly sure what my deck is made out of but when wet, it’s like one of those hilariously treacherous walkways suspended over a vat of whipped wasabi they make the contestants negotiate on the Japanese games-shows. My feet slipped out from underneath and I landed hard, hitting the top step, though thankfully not quite its corner, managing to take the brunt of the impact with my butt and outstretched arms. I slid down the next two steps and rose, remarkably, uninjured. It could have – and, frankly, should have – gone much worse for me. I could have caught that corner, injured my lower back, my legs, or possibly even shattered my wrists when I swung my hands around to cushion to my fall. Disaster denied. Or delayed? Suffice it to say that with the memory of that trampoline incident forever in the back of my mind, I was extra cautious today.

Still, if Hollywood has taught us anything, it’s that – to quote Peter DeLuise – “Death holds a grudge.” And I fear it’s slow-witted step-brother is just as petty.

Last night, Akemi and I had dinner at ReFuel. Unfortunately, after talking up the crispy duck for two days, I was disappointed to learn that they were out. So, instead, we had a variety of alternate items including:

We were pretty stuffed and, as a result, ended up sharing dessert. Three to be exact…

I was planning to take Akemi to the art gallery today (I hear Vancouver has one) but she suggested just staying home for the day – which was perfectly fine with me. After perusing my considerable library of Asian dvds, we ended up watching the live-action GTO movie – a truly terrible feature based on a truly awesome anime series. We took the dogs for a walk and gave Bubba a bath…

Tomorrow, we’ll track down that legendary art gallery. Promise.

Today’s entry is dedicated to birthday boy Joel and the gang at WordPress who have been wonderful hosts to this blog over the past couple of years. And a special shout out to Nick and Hanni in tech support!
                              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...the-art-scene/

February 19, 2010

Photos: Dinner at Bishop’s Restaurant, Joe Mallozzi, Akemi, lunch, Robson Square

Last night, we went to dinner at a place many consider a Vancouver institution: Bishop’s Restaurant. It had been a year since my last visit and I was eager to see if it was still as great as I remember it. Our meal went something like this -

I followed by usual M.O. when it came to dessert. One for me, one for my guest, and one for the table…

I’ve yet to be disappointed in Bishop’s. Last night’s dinner reaffirmed it’s spot in my Vancouver Dining Top 10.

Today, we headed back downtown to finally check out the Art Gallery. Well, that was my intention anyway.

But first – lunch! Akemi had a hankering for sushi so…

After lunch we walked over to the Art Gallery – only to discover a line-up that stretched around the block! As we strolled by, I was distracted by a woman in a mini-skirt who inadvertently flashed me – causing me to walk into a pole (see yesterday’s blog re: my sense of looming foreboding. Maybe this was fate getting payback).

We skipped the Art Gallery and walked around, then headed over to Granville Island to check out an exhibition at the Emily Carr Center. Among the, uh, unique pieces on display: a dress that lights up when you blow into a special handheld device, two jackets sporting LED displays, another jacket that emits the sound of a barking dog when approached, and something called a tornado dress that required one aim a flashlight up through the bottom to trigger. After a full minute of crouching/flashing, passersby starting giving me strange looks and I decided to abandon the effort in favor of checking out the screening of a short experimental film. We sat in a darkened room and donned headphones. As the movie played, I was distracted by a late arrival, an annoying cellphone conversation, and hushed voices – that I quickly realized were part of the show. Or, at least I assumed they were part of the show because the woman behind me kept whispering into my ear, undaunted by the fact that I ignored her up until she got up and left – although her constant worrying about whether or not she’d remembered to turn the stove off led me to start worrying as well.

We stopped off to pick up some anime dvds, then headed back home where I phoned up mom while Akemi decided to make the most of her vacation – by doing some of the household chores. I told her to sit back and relax. The dogs told me to shut the **** up and mind my own business.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X