Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MGM planning Stargate film, third series, Speculation and name guessing as well

Front page news on the Gateworld site if you are confused. Personally, I'm surprised at the talk of a third series so soon. The first two are still running strong, ratings wise.

I wonder if it'll actually happen. I'm curious if the third series would be the abandoned SG: Command concept and how they'd run it. Would the SG-1 and SGA teams interact with them or would this series be based in the future or keep completely away from the existing series?
    Sam Carter
    31.23%
    Teal'c
    5.53%
    Daniel Jackson
    24.90%
    Vala
    8.30%
    Cameron Mitchell
    10.28%
    Combos of the above persons (which you'll list)
    19.76%

I also wonder what the third series will be about??? It would be good to see a series based on when the ancients came to pegasus and the war they had with the wraith.

Comment

well, the article said the movie would "dovetail" into the new series. To me this is just like how Atlantis would have "dovetail"ed from Lost City had it been a movie. I get the feeling the new series would be set in current times from this, as I can't see the movie transitioning into something in the future or past. My best guess would be that the movie introduces some new area or alien, and then the series works from that. Imagine a movie about the 4 races alliance, and then a follow-up series showing SG-ambassador teams on the Asgard and Furling homeworlds.

Comment

Given time travel is an almost regular occurence, I wouldn't rule out something from the future so easily.

Comment

I really, really hope that movie happens - I think SG-1 would look great on the big screen! Kinda spiffy to come full circle, too, and have a movie based on the TV show based on a movie.

As for the third series... I'm curious as to their timeframe, really. It just seems soon to me (with SGA not even into its third season) although I know it'll take a fair amount of time for the film and subsequent third series to be produced.
          "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
          My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

I'm a little skeptical about whether they can pull off a "real" movie that works for both fans and regular movie-goers. Still, when I look at "Lost City," I think that could've actually been decent on the big screen. So, I don't feel anything too strongly, only that it had better have a hell of a story, and Jack had better be in it.

As for the third series, I think it's too early to be talking about that. I'm now concerned that they're going to jump the gun and just start pumping out these Stargate series, the quality lessening with every season. When did the Star Trek PTB begin discussing Voyager? (Well, that series was nearly a total loss, IMO, so maybe I shouldn't think about that too much.)

I just hope that patience and sensibility aren't too much to ask of TPTB here.
            Jewel Staite Thunker | Secondary Women of SGA Thunker
            Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show and I should really just relax."

Comment

Originally posted by xfkirsten
              I really, really hope that movie happens - I think SG-1 would look great on the big screen! Kinda spiffy to come full circle, too, and have a movie based on the TV show based on a movie.

As for the third series... I'm curious as to their timeframe, really. It just seems soon to me (with SGA not even into its third season) although I know it'll take a fair amount of time for the film and subsequent third series to be produced.
              Strange...although I'm complaining loud mouth about the quality of Atlantis and SG-1 I'm all for a movie and maybe a third series (series depending on quality).

Now how confusing is that?

Maybe they should have the third series play off rather in the far away future - that way nobody can complaint about the science part (aka like I love to do all the time).

Comment

I hope they'll be careful with this. A movie sure, but a third series might just oversaturate the market, like what happened with Star Trek.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                  I hope they'll be careful with this. A movie sure, but a third series might just oversaturate the market, like what happened with Star Trek.
                  To everybody:

What would you like to see in a movie and spin-off series?

Any thoughts and ideas as to what would be a real kick-ass storyline?

Comment

For Star Trek, I know they were planning Voyager during Next generations final year. They did setup episodes with the Maquis in buth Next Gen and Deep Space 9 to establish the Maquis concept.

As for what I would like in a movie....First of all, Jack. Although I personally would like him to die. He's done his thing, and RDA doesn't have the commitment to play the Head of Homeworld security role as much as needed. It would be a good send-off and have people shut up about wanting Jack to come back.
                    Since it's a movie, It should be something largescale. I can see it being a huge battle with the Ori defending earth, but I'd like to see something more indicitive of the whole series (or both series). Hopefully they won't simply use the "found a one way trip to a new galazy!" story again.

Comment

Originally posted by NG.1
                      To everybody:

What would you like to see in a movie and spin-off series?

Any thoughts and ideas as to what would be a real kick-ass storyline?

sam commanding her own earth ship. i don't care what it's called, as long as sam's commanding it!

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                        WOW! I've been away from GW for 3 days and look at what I've been missing!! I totally agree with you here on this. I hope they don't go nuts and ruin the magic of Stargate by oversaturating the market with cheap spin-offs. I would love to see a movie though, preferably based on Stargate SG1. I think SGA is still a little bit too young to have a movie yet. Maybe they can bring some old and "dead" characters back like they did in the episode Ripple Effect! Anyway, that's how I happen to feel about it. What do you think?? Cheers to all!!!
                        "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

It wasn't posted too long ago (maybe 2-3 hours) so you didn't miss much. In fact you came in right on time.

A new spin off series could work but I do see the dangers of over saturation too. Star Trek did four series almost back to back and did it successfully to a point. The failure there was the lackluster support of the franchise near the end and the burn out effect, which is definitely a danger for the current writing staff.

A movie would be a nice send-off for SG-1 and a lead in to a new series but the new series would have to be something else entirely to avoid implications of just being another SG-1 or SGA clone. Difficult to do given the combination of 11 years and a movie to work around.

Comment

Oh wow, this is pretty much incredible. I read the article just now. If it were up to me, the movie/third series would be about any number of things:

-Back when the Ori/Alterans were one people, they were human. Do they have some sort of creator-species that could be a potential enemy?

-At this point, knowing what we know about the Goa'uld, it would be easy to take care of, but I think a Ra resurrected could be nice. Maybe even tie his origins close with the Ancients or Ori, which would make the Ori and more formidable threat while making Ra even more terrifying.

-Well, we have two shows, each based on a planet. What if it was based on a space-station that had a stargate address? Yeah, that's kind of like DS9, but eh, why not?

-(this is more movie-specific) I'd like to see a team-up between factions of different series: Wraith Priors. Wraith Goa'uld. Wraith Jaffa (since the Wraith have better adaptability/regenerative abilities than humans, and humans were turned into Jaffa because of our similar abilities. It would make sense).

-This is just an idea, not so much a premise: We've seen how the Ori "infect" humans and turn them into Priors. What if the Ancients had a similar process, to effectively "bless" someone into a stronger form? Also, it'd be neat to see an Asgard in their old, original tall bodies.

-OH! Asgard made me think... we need an EVIL Asgard. Wouldn't that be awesome? Ok.

Those are my ideas. Really looking forward to this!

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

i'm really excited about the movie...hope it's good. i'm not sure how i feel about another spin-off. if it's like the Law & Order and CSI spinoffs like the article said then i think that it would do pretty well. personally i watch the spinoffs of L&O and not the original but still prefer CSI. i love both SG-1 and Atlantis though...
                              "Yeah Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise."
                              "Why not?"
                              "The codename for the project is Prometheus. What's wrong with that?"
                              NOTHING!

Comment

Working...
                              X