This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form, essence, and ascension.

We humans are defined by both form and essence. Form is of course our body. Essence is something more insubstantial, our will, our resolve, our mind.

The Ancients and presumably the Ori ascended through refinement and evolution of form, with all those neat telepathic and telekinetic powers before reaching the point of ascension. Yet that may not the only way to ascend, at least two of Oma’s disciples were not advanced evolutionarily, Daniel and Shifu. Is it possible that Oma was trying to create a form of ascension, one purely through refinement of essence, through understanding, through force of will and resolve?

I never really thought about it like that. Interesting way of thinking of it.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

It did sort of change throughout the show. In season 3 when we first met Oma, it was pretty much all about understanding, comprehension and all that good stuff but then with the more recent seasons it became more about biological evolution with Ayiana, Anubis, Khalek, and the Priors, with their fancy telepathic and telekinetic powers.

Comment

True, very true.
        sigpic
        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
          We humans are defined by both form and essence. Form is of course our body. Essence is something more insubstantial, our will, our resolve, our mind.

The Ancients and presumably the Ori ascended through refinement and evolution of form, with all those neat telepathic and telekinetic powers before reaching the point of ascension. Yet that may not the only way to ascend, at least two of Oma’s disciples were not advanced evolutionarily, Daniel and Shifu. Is it possible that Oma was trying to create a form of ascension, one purely through refinement of essence, through understanding, through force of will and resolve?

So in that case a person with enough will could simply just accend even with out knowing about accention right? He just had to be stubburn enough.
          I doubt my sanity; then again I doubt yours as well!

Comment

No, it would mean that someone who had enough conviction would not need to be biologically advanced or the help of an ascended being which currently seems to be the only two ways people can ascend.

Comment

I think I've decided to ignore the whole physical evolution until ascension thing. I liked the idea a whole lot better when it only involved purity of spirit and personal spiritual strength in order to ascend.

Specific SG-1 Season 9 Spoilers Below Relating to 9x09 "Prototype"

I can reconcile this with the show by assuming that Anubis' attempt to evolve a human to the point of ascension was ultimately going to end in failure.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid
                I think I've decided to ignore the whole physical evolution until ascension thing. I liked the idea a whole lot better when it only involved purity of spirit and personal spiritual strength in order to ascend.

Specific SG-1 Season 9 Spoilers Below Relating to 9x09 "Prototype"

I can reconcile this with the show by assuming that Anubis' attempt to evolve a human to the point of ascension was ultimately going to end in failure.
                Who or what decides if a soul is pure enough for that being to ascend? Is there a God in the stargate universe that controls ascension? There can't be a definition of purity of one's soul as something like purity is subjective. If purity were the pre-requisite, then someone one/thing would have to be the judge and we all would have to strive for what he/she/it considers purity. If it is a biological thing though, purity would not matter and anyone would be able to ascend.
                "Those who sow the wind might reap the whirlwind."

"Only God knows everything and he works for the Mossad."

Comment

You raise up your head
                  And you ask, is this where it is?
                  And somebody points to you and says
                  It's his
                  And you say, what’s mine?
                  And somebody else says, where what is?
                  And you say, oh my god
                  Am I here all alone?

Because something is happening here
                  But you don’t know what it is
                  Do you, mister jones?

You find yourself in a place that you do not belong...
                  It is not completely unknown - like a subconscious dream maybe...
                  For now though, you can not recall or make sense of where you are, and leave feeling a bit foolish.
                  That will pass. You know it will.
                  You swear to yourself that one day, you will return here, and know whats going on, right Mr.Jones?

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid
                    Are you also going to ignore Anubis and the entire population of Abydos?

Comment

I'm not entirely sure what we're really arguing about here.

Here's how I understand it:
                      1) The Ancients/Alterans evolved to a point where they were able to ascend.
                      2) Those who are already ascended can help others ascend quickly, bypassing the evolutionary route.
                      3) Oma decided that she was going to help others ascend, but only those who were "pure of spirit".
                      4) Being "pure of spirit" is not a true requirement for ascension, evidenced by the Ori and the fact that Anubis tricked Oma into ascending him. (It was simply a requirement that Oma placed upon her followers.)
                      5) Anubis was rapidly advancing humans to a point where they could ascend themselves to attack the Ancients.

Did I miss anything? Do we have any points of confusion or disagreement? Hope this helps....
                      There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Whatever it takes to ascend, count me in. I would so love to unlock some of the mysteries of the universe.
                        sigpic
                        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                        X