Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask Joe Mallozzi - Spoilers for SG-1 (S8, 9, 10) and SGA (S1, 2, 3)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
    Mr. Mallozzi,
    What's with all the food references? Do you guys not eat there?

Donuts- Chimera
    Turkey Sandwiches- The Other Guys, Rising 2, (and another SGA episode....the one were the find the opening in the hangar bay's cieling...can't think of it...)
    Ice Cream- Natural Selection
    Beer- Chain Reaction, Lost City 1
    Pie- Numerous refrences
    Citric Acid (found in LEMON CHICKEN!)- 48 Hours, Rising 2
    Potatoes- Lockdown
    Pizza- Ascension
    Avecado- Affinity (Teal'c nailed "purse snatcher" in the head with it)

I'm sure there's others, just can't think of them all.

So....what's up with you guys and food!? Are you guys not allowed to eat until you finish scripts, or do you all just love food and like to incorporate your favorite items into scripts.
    - Steve
    We're big on eating. Paul and I each put on 15 lbs in the first year of production. The catering is that good.

As for some of the specific food references:

The doughnut in Chimera - well, what would a stake-out be without doughnuts. It was a theme we wanted to be consistent with, having already set this up in Point of No Return.

Potatoes in Lockdown - I wanted to find some seemingly insignificant problem that JAck, as the new CO, would have to deal with. I was inspired by the potatoes my sister made for Christmas dinner that year - that had the consistency of paper mache.

Comment

Where does your inspiration/idea's for stories come from? Do you dream them? Have "uh-huh" moments while driving?

Lisa Gardner (novelist) writes extremely graphic stories of a pretty disturbing nature. As a person though she is very dow-to-earth, caring and sensative. She was asked where she gets her idea's from and she replied with she was dropped on her head a lot as a child.

I mean some of the concepts, stories, races are pretty out there, where does that come from for you?

(sorry I have an interest in writing so I more interested in the background on that rather than the actors )

Comment

Joe, if you had to pick only one story arc to close this year, which would you choose?

I try to stay unbiased, but I've always been fond of Anna-Louise Plowman. I know you want her back, and I really hope you find a way to pull it off this year. Also in speaking with Michael Welch in our interview with him he's very interested in returning as well.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanaus
          Where does your inspiration/idea's for stories come from?
          "Never ask a writer where he gets his ideas. In truth? We don't know."

I'm sorry, but that was WAY too good to resist.

Comment

Maybe they'll clean it up in post!

Comment

Originally posted by JMallozzi
              We're big on eating. Paul and I each put on 15 lbs in the first year of production. The catering is that good.

As for some of the specific food references:

The doughnut in Chimera - well, what would a stake-out be without doughnuts. It was a theme we wanted to be consistent with, having already set this up in Point of No Return.

Potatoes in Lockdown - I wanted to find some seemingly insignificant problem that JAck, as the new CO, would have to deal with. I was inspired by the potatoes my sister made for Christmas dinner that year - that had the consistency of paper mache.
              I can now sleep soundly tonight, knowing that my question has meaning.....(sigh).

Thanks for answering Joe. Much appreciated.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
              [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Joe; I can't think of an intelligent, interesting, or original question to ask, but I am so enjoying this thread. Thanks for popping in from time-to-time.
                sigpic

Comment

Hi Joe!

I have a coupla questions.

1. From where do you feel you learned the most about becoming a successful TV writer (and what was the most valuable to you) -- your education or simply writing, pitching and being in the industry? Also, what are some differences between writing for TV vs writing for the big screen, in terms of script structure and the pitch.

2. We've been hearing a lot about crossovers between Atlantis and Stargate. Are the last few episodes of both seasons inseparable? Due to scheduling differences, a lot of people will see both parts of The Siege before Moebius...will this give too much away? .

Thanks a bunch for spending so much time on the forum when you're busy writing!
                  Last edited by SaharaGate; 21 January 2005, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Hello Mr. Mallozzi !
                    I'm from a far far away planet (P5X-138, also known as "France" )
                    First, I'd like to thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions .

I have a specific one to ask you ...

We saw a lot of flags on the Atlantis Expedition Members Uniforms :

Australia / Belgium / Canada / Czech Republic / Germany / Japan / Paraguay
                    Philippines / Russia / Scotland / South Africa / Spain / Sweden / UK / USA / Zimbabwe [ See this thread ]

And I've been waiting for a French flag on Atlantis since the series premiere ...
                    And now I can't believe I have the opportunity to ask it right now to THE MAN :
                    Will there be a French member in the upcoming Atlantis episodes ???
                    ... at least a few seconds on screen ... but I'd be so cool for us !

You know, there's such a big SG fandom in France ...
                    SG-1 is broadcasted again and again on our TV, and the ratings are always higher and higher !
                    So ... we're just asking for a little flag on screen ... it'd be very kind ...

This question is mostly a little joke, but ... yes ! We really want it !

Thanks Joe for your great job !

Oh ... sorry for the bad grammar, english isn't my mother tongue .
                    Last edited by Harlan; 19 January 2005, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Mr. Mallozzi ! Another question just came out from my Naquadah brain !

You know, I really LOVE the McKay character, especially since he was extended with Atlantis (such a good idea to make him come back, by the way ).

And I wanted to know some details about Jenny, McKay's sister. First, whose idea is it ? And has it been invented especially for 'Hot Zone' and 'Letters from Pegasus' ? Or was it an old idea you had since I don't know when ...

Thanks again for answering us !

Comment

Mr. Mallozzi,

Howdy! We've seen mainly Egyptian and Norse mythology...are we going to see any Greek/Roman mythology-driven characters? I'm a big time Greek/Roman mythology buff and they would make some really interesting Goa'ulds.

Thanks for your time.

Comment

Hi Joe,

I've been wondering if it had been known further in advance that you would be going up to nine seasons (maybe more) would you have done anything differently. In other words, would characters, stories, etc. gone in the direction they did if you had known that you might get a couple of seasons instead of the one year at a time? Thanks.

Comment

Similar to Sdermot's above, and related to...

Having recently watched all of Babylon 5, and it being a series where they were told they had to wrap up the series in four seasons, they did, and than ended up getting a fifth season and had trouble filling it.

Has there ever been a sense that it was dangerous to wrap things up too much even when you did think that it was going to be the last season?

Comment

Hi Joe

It's really great that you actually come and answer questions here, thank you so much for taking time to do this.
                              I'm really enjoying SG-1 and SGA, very much looking forward to Moebius and The Seige, though most of my questions are SGA related.

1.Will we be seeing Sora in Season 2?

2. Will there be s9 sg1/s2 sga crossover involving Carter and McKay working together? (presuming McKay isn't that unexected loss in The Seige - I really hope not, got too attached to the annoying but lovable genius)

3. Given that David Hewlett is quite liberal in what he will do for his acting, will we be seeing McKay written into any embarasing situations involving lack of clothing anytime? (presuming McKay is modest in that respect)

4.What's up with the thing in (mostly later) SGA episodes where Weir/McKay (or rather the actors playing them) seem to be directed in a way that they are always in each others shots and have a few otherwise unnecessary scenes between them that never the less make the cut for a reason (such as the messages sending bit in Letters To Pegasus where they are together in the briefing room) usually it seems like the friendship/relationship is being focused on somehow and not merely a coincidence.

Thank you if you do answer any of my questions.
                              Also about the conventions - it would be great if writers and producers and behind the scenes people were at them, it's always nice to find out more about that sort of stuff. I always love finding out about that in 'making of''s which is why I'm really looking forward to the new seasons coming out on DVD, for all the special features we get on them.

Regards,
                              Hannah (A UK fan who's glad that Peter Grodin's on Atlantis!)

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
                                3. Given that David Hewlett is quite liberal in what he will do for his acting, will we be seeing McKay written into any embarasing situations involving lack of clothing anytime? (presuming McKay is modest in that respect)
                                Have you seen Home yet?
                                Spoiler:
                                He answered his door dressed in boxers and a t-shirt and didn't seem all that panicked to find Weir there. Something tells me McKay doesn't have any crippling modesty issues. Although you never know.

I wouldn't mind seeing... more of McKay, either. If we're taking a vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X