Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask Joe Mallozzi - Spoilers for SG-1 (S8, 9, 10) and SGA (S1, 2, 3)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe...

Quick question for you about the Ring Transporters...

In watching Homecoming again tonight, Daniel and Jonas discuss that they could use the rings on board the ship to get to the surface of the planet only because they had found a ring platform on Kelowna.

But in re-watching Memento the other day, I noticed that they used the ring transporter to get to and from Prometheus and the planet's surface several times without the benefit of a ring platform on the surface.

So my question...is a ring platform unnecessary to receive a ring transfer as it seemed to be indicated in Memento or necessary as it seemed to be indicated in Homecoming? Or option 3, do the writers sometimes forget the important point of needing a ring transport platform when writing various ring transport scenes? (couldn't be option 3 though because writers NEVER miss these kinds of things, right?)

Thanks so much,
    Mary Beth

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I dont know if this question has been asked already, since its hard to keep up in here. But I'll take my chance..

Was there a reason Replicarter wasnt kept alive for future storylines down the road?

AT did a fantastic job of playing good and evil!! Wish she could stretch her acting wings more!!! VIVA LA REPLICARTER!

Thanks for answering all of our questions!! *waves*
      Last edited by Nikkirose; 09 July 2005, 08:13 PM. Reason: Just cause

*DROOL*

McKAY: If you're referring to the ship you just shot down, the one that doesn't stand a hope in hell of ever flying again ...

TORRELL: The ship that you're gonna fix, yes.

McKAY: What am I, MacGyver? Fix it with what?

http://www.sgtsiler.com/Nikkirose.html
      MINE.. ALL MINE!! Mwhahahaha!

Comment

Joe,

It's been reported from the Creation Convention happening this weekend in Burbank that both SG-1 and Atlantis have had their opening sequences cut down to ten seconds. Joel Goldsmith, who attended the con, dropped the news that it is apparently Sci-Fi who requested that this be done. I presume that the point is to create more ad time.

All that being said, how do you feel about this, and what other changes, notes, or influences have been suggested or exerted over Stargate's creative initiative by Sci-Fi?

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
          Joe,

It's been reported from the Creation Convention happening this weekend in Burbank that both SG-1 and Atlantis have had their opening sequences cut down to ten seconds. Joel Goldsmith, who attended the con, dropped the news that it is apparently Sci-Fi who requested that this be done. I presume that the point is to create more ad time.

All that being said, how do you feel about this, and what other changes, notes, or influences have been suggested or exerted over Stargate's creative initiative by Sci-Fi?
          If you all don't mind, I thought I'd jump ahead and respond to this question. As Joel reported, the opening sequences for both shows will be trimmed down to 10 second versions. Now, I'm watching the fan reaction on the news and I'm not surprised - but you have to ask yourself: "Will it really make that much of a difference?" "Is the opening sequence really that important?" In my opinion - you bet your a** it is. The opening sequences are as much a part of the shows as our main cast, great stirring scores by Joel Goldsmith for both SG-1 and Atlantis that really ramp up the excitement heading into a given episode.

Ultimately, the SciFi Channel felt that a 10 second opening was the way to go, following the lead of shows like Lost. Other than the abbreviated opening sequence, the timing of the episode will remain unchanged.

How do I feel? I'll miss both opening themes, but especially the SG-1 opening that has been with the show for the past 8 years.

Comment

Originally posted by JMallozzi
            If you all don't mind, I thought I'd jump ahead and respond to this question. As Joel reported, the opening sequences for both shows will be trimmed down to 10 second versions. Now, I'm watching the fan reaction on the news and I'm not surprised - but you have to ask yourself: "Will it really make that much of a difference?" "Is the opening sequence really that important?" In my opinion - you bet your a** it is. The opening sequences are as much a part of the shows as our main cast, great stirring scores by Joel Goldsmith for both SG-1 and Atlantis that really ramp up the excitement heading into a given episode.

Ultimately, the SciFi Channel felt that a 10 second opening was the way to go, following the lead of shows like Lost. Other than the abbreviated opening sequence, the timing of the episode will remain unchanged.

How do I feel? I'll miss both opening themes, but especially the SG-1 opening that has been with the show for the past 8 years.
            Okay...I'll admit to being seriously irked about this and share your disappointment...and I don't intend to rant about my feelings here (I promise)...but I do have a related question...

Will the Season 9 DVD's include a full opening sequence or the SciFi Channel's 10-second version? Or is it too far ahead to predict/not in your area of input/expertise?

Thank you,
            Mary Beth
            Last edited by Uber; 09 July 2005, 06:53 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

hey Joe
              is there anyway you give even a little info on the Crossover or Aurora those episodes are still a mystery just a little hint at least.

Comment

Hey Joe-

Any chance of using Rodney's data compression technique to cram all the credits (and then some) into a ten-second burst? Or heck, you could beat out SCIFI's stodginess and name that tune in ONE note- I mean, second.

Comment

Hey Joe, I figure I'll ask the impossible.

Any chance we'll see Ayiana again?

Out...

Comment

Joe, I've been catching up on the "Stargate Atlantis" marathon. Is there a competition among the writers for putting David Hewlett in uncomfortable and humiliating situations?
                    Last edited by Hatusu; 09 July 2005, 07:40 PM.
                    Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Is it possible to get a preview of the new opening for Stargate and Atlantis? If this has been asked I am sorry. I didn't see it.
                      Two apples get you nothing unless your buying a banana.

Comment

Hi joe remember the episode crystal skull? Will you ever write a sequel to that episode and finally tell us what ever happened to John Rubez (Nick Ballard) character?

Comment

Hello!

I was upset to hear about the whole 'opening credits' drama - a bummer, eh?

To buiseness; in the Chicago Tribune interviews with some of the Stargate cast, Gary Jones reealed his appearence in the episode 'Critical Mass'...an Atlantis episode.
                          Is this the SG1/Atlantis crossover episode that's been talked about? On the 'Ask Martin Gero' thread, Martin said (well, strongly hinted) that Carter would be involved in the crossover episode, then Gateworld recieved spoilers that a Goa'uld would find its way to atlantis in the episode 'Critical Mass', and now we're finding out about Gary Jones (he didn't say if he'd be appearing as Sgt. Harriman, and he's apparently doing several voices for the SG1 game) will be appearing in the same episode...what the heck is going on?

EDIT: A horrible thought just occured to me...I was looking through previous posts, and was reminded of what happened to Rothman; a recurring character who was taken as a Goa'uld host, and SG1 was forced to kill him. And Gary Jones - the Chevron guy - is appearing in an episode with a Goa'uld...

Yours in intoxification,
                          The White Knight

Last edited by White Knight; 10 July 2005, 12:21 AM. Reason: A horrible thought just occured to me...

Comment

Hello Joe,

Re: the 10 second credits - is this a done deal, or is there a chance that if we make enough noise, it could change? (I guess what I'm asking is - given that time is short, do you guys have an alternative in the can?) I really think it's a mistake to underestimate the power of a strong theme tune in setting up the audience. If you want some anecdotal ammunition, look at how the the BBC used the familiar Doctor Who theme in their marketing for the relaunch of the show. It created instant recogition and instant expectation in the minds of everyone who knew the show. (And the new Doctor Who got the kind of ratings Sci-fi could only ever dream of...) SG-1 has a very strong, distinctive theme, and any long-term strategy of audience recognition should be trying to use that, not casting it aside.

Hope you get the marketing types to see sense!

PJ

Comment

Originally posted by Piratejenna
                              Hello Joe,

Re: the 10 second credits - is this a done deal, or is there a chance that if we make enough noise, it could change? (I guess what I'm asking is - given that time is short, do you guys have an alternative in the can?) I really think it's a mistake to underestimate the power of a strong theme tune in setting up the audience. If you want some anecdotal ammunition, look at how the the BBC used the familiar Doctor Who theme in their marketing for the relaunch of the show. It created instant recogition and instant expectation in the minds of everyone who knew the show. (And the new Doctor Who got the kind of ratings Sci-fi could only ever dream of...) SG-1 has a very strong, distinctive theme, and any long-term strategy of audience recognition should be trying to use that, not casting it aside.

Hope you get the marketing types to see sense!

PJ
                              Precisely, come on Joe, you gotta sorta this out, I mean, S9 is going back to the roots, back to the "old days" for the dedicated and hardcore Stargate fans and you allow the 10 seconds for the opening sequence, like whaa?
                              Go SG-1! Go ATLANTIS!
                              WOOHOO!

<<Amanda Tapping's the only sweet hunny bunny for me>>

Comment

After reading the spoilers for Beach Head, I'm a bit concerned about the way in which Sam returns. Perhaps I'm reading the spoilers wrong or perhaps the information is incorrect, either way I am hoping you can shed some light on this.

According to the spoilers (paraphrased and condensed for your enjoyment)
                                Spoiler:
                                Landry believes a new weapon Carter has developed will be an effective tool in destroying a force field the Ori have placed around a Jaffa-free inhabited planet. Carter returns with mixed emotions to assist in the mission. (I'm going to assume the reason for the mixed emotions is because she doesn't think the weapon is ready, which could mean she may be at odds with Landry.) Then, after peaceful negotiations fail, Sam launched the weapon only to have it make matters worse. Finally, according to the spoilers, while everyone is squabbling over the next course of action, "Vala (Claudia Black) hatches an uncharacteristically selfless plan that will destroy the field without the use of weapons -- but she may have to sacrifice her own life in order to carry it out."

So my question is, if Carter is returning reluctantly (i.e. she might not want to be there), if her actions end up making the situation worse, and if her actions directly or indirectly cause the loss of another popular character then what will Sam's incentive or motivation be for staying, and what's to prevent the Vala fans from "blaming" Sam for Vala's departure? I guess my biggest concern is that Sam will have this "black cloud" over her head for somehow being responsible for the loss of Vala.

SueS

Comment

Working...
                                X