Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate 25th anniversary - am I the only one left disappointed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate 25th anniversary - am I the only one left disappointed?

First, the positive things:
    - I have the impression that there was a lot of activity again during the twitter-campaign. Was nice to see so much during the day yesterday. No idea if the trending goal was achieved?
    - Some interesting articles again on Gateworld, as usual, well done to the Gateworld team, AGAIN!
    - There was the session with Brad and Richard on the Companion App, available on Youtube, free for all, can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17BhJqlMsIs

However, some things did leave me disappointed in the end.
    - Not that I was really expecting it, but zero acknowledgement or response from MGM or Amazon anywhere.
    - I actually remember that for the 20th anniversary, we at least got this on the Stargate Command youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpAxCBwjI9Y => for me the 25th anniversary would be more important than a 20th and making something like this can't be the major effort or cost, but apparently even something like this was too much for MGM/Amazon.
    - But what REALLY surprised me this time: if I remember correctly, during the last Twitter campaign, a lot of people from the cast joined in. I just checked on Twitter. Amanda Tapping: nothing. Michael Shanks: nothing. Christopher Judge: nothing. David Hewlett: nothing. Looks like nobody from the cast participated in the campaign this year.

So in the end, I'm feeling fairly disappointed. Feels to me like the day was just a day like any other, it came and it went.
    Despite the effort of the campaign yesterday and it would seem a lot of active fans (a lot of effort from a lot of people, which I can only applaud really), I can't shake the feeling that today the franchise seems more dead to me than ever.

Am I the only one in this situation or am I just being too pessimistic, having expectations which are too high?

I deliberately muted every Stargate hashtag so I was oblivious while I roadtripped my way around Normandy, letting my inner Daniel Jackson out to marvel at a Neanderthal digsite -- still active so plenty of archaeologist to get information from.

Gateworld was offline -- there's a certain irony in it, wouldn't you say.

Truly though, I think people are expecting too much ... I think it's because they see the Star Trek and Star Wars franchise booming, but Stargate isn't even in the same league as those two other Stars. It could be but to be fair... everything which so much as touches the brandname Stargate goes down in flames -- it's like the franchise is cursed.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Came across this while looking for Sam/Jack Ship Day related stuff.

25 years ago, a stellar sci-fi show saved a broken franchise — and changed TV history

No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
      It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Nothing has really changed. It was already a bad omen that MGM was not willing to have a stand in San Diego Comic Con. They almost killed the James Bond franchise. They also lost recently the license to future Tomb Raider movies too. So I believe the studio needs Stargate more than ever to get some kind of success. But even if Stargate could return than all the competitive platforms, franchises and brands are way ahead in every aspect of entertainment.

I have no expectations for the Vancouver Gate Con either. We waited years and they let us down. Sometimes I wonder that why I still believe in this franchise if the owners were not even bothered to post a "happy birthday Stargate" picture. So why did they believe any Twitter storm will achieve any progress? They just fooled long-term and naive fans like me.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
          They also lost recently the license to future Tomb Raider movies too.
          Nothing against the new girl but there's only one Lara Croft and that's Angelina Jolie so no more movies is a-okay with me.

So I believe the studio needs Stargate more than ever to get some kind of success.
          MGM doesn't need Stargate to get success... That's a bit presumptuous. No?

I'd say James Bond has a much bigger following than Stargate.

I have no expectations for the Vancouver Gate Con either.
          For just 75 dollars you can buy a digital ticket to live stream more than 14 hours panels (excluding all the Dial the Gate panels -- they will be free on youtube later, and the Companion app AI read(s)...).

If you happen to be in Vancouver on the day, you can still get in for a mere 100 dollars a day.

So why did they believe any Twitter storm will achieve any progress? They just fooled long-term and naive fans like me.
          I don't know who "they" are but I think only the people who did the twitter storm event still believe in something to tweet for.

I'm a pessimist and a realist, so I stopped believing a long time ago that anything even remotely related to Stargate could come to some sort of fruitation.

Then there was that whole Stargate Command debacle, and I think that's when I lost interest altogether. It'll always be the first franchise which showed me an online world I had no idea existed, got me into fanfic writing... opened a whole world of wonders.

Star Trek: The Next Generation thought me English. Stargate SG-1 opened the world of online fandom
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
          X