Does Amazon even want to make Stargate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Amazon even want to make Stargate?

Amazon got ownership of a heck of a lot of titles. Chances are not everything will be worked on. At least not right off the bat. They will need to pick and choose what does and dosent get worked on.

And I know there have been a lot of talk on this project or that reboot. Ect. Brad Wright has shown great interest. The A.I. script reading. Talking with og cast members to see if they are interested. But at the end of the day it's Amazon's call. And if Stargate isn't even on there radar, all the talk and hype is kinda moot.

So, does Amazon even want to make Stargate?

Maybe or maybe not... but the sale has to go through first and that hasn't happened yet and will not happen for the time being.

In fact the deal has come under some serious scrutiny: Unions call on FTC to derail US$8.45 billion Amazon-MGM deal (dated November 23, 2021).

So all everyone can do is speculate about Stargate's future some more cause you'll have to wait a while to find out if that future involves Amazon or not.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I don't think making original content is Amazon's strong point compared to say HBO or Netflix. However, I'm optimistic, and I'd love to hear a Stargate episode with Atmos.

Now, they do stream Buffy 16:9, rather than 4:3, which is annoying.

Comment

They did save The Expanse. I don't think it'd be out of the realms for them to want to have an established sci-fi I.P to replace it. (He hopes).
        sigpic
        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
          They did save The Expanse. I don't think it'd be out of the realms for them to want to have an established sci-fi I.P to replace it. (He hopes).
          The Expanse didn't have all that extra baggage so easier to "safe" from oblivion.

All anyone can do at this point is hoping for something... as a realist, however, even that is not in my power to do.

Comment

Not sure.

Comment

Microsoft bought Activision Blizzard for approximately 68 billion dollars. Wow. MGM was sold "only" for 8.4 billion dollars. There is much more money in gaming industry. Hopefully the Amazon Games will develop something Stargate related games next to the spinoffs if it happens at all.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                Hopefully the Amazon Games will develop something Stargate related games next to the spinoffs if it happens at all.
                No thanks... Looking at their track record it would not turn out well.

They have more cancelled games and failed titles than is good for a game developing company wanting to play with the big boys.

Comment

Yep. I am aware of it. Just it would be so nice if some bigger, more experienced studios could license the Stargate brand for games...
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    Maybe or maybe not... but the sale has to go through first and that hasn't happened yet and will not happen for the time being.

In fact the deal has come under some serious scrutiny: Unions call on FTC to derail US$8.45 billion Amazon-MGM deal (dated November 23, 2021).

So all everyone can do is speculate about Stargate's future some more cause you'll have to wait a while to find out if that future involves Amazon or not.
                    Fortunately, political infighting has left the FTC dead in the water. On top of which, the deadline has now expired and the EU did approve the deal. Combined with the tanking of Discovery-Warner lawsuit, which was much bigger, the cards are now firmly stacked against the FTC. So now we can get (back) to poking Amazon into making a Stargate continuation.

sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                      Fortunately, political infighting has left the FTC dead in the water. On top of which, the deadline has now expired and the EU did approve the deal. Combined with the tanking of Discovery-Warner lawsuit, which was much bigger, the cards are now firmly stacked against the FTC. So now we can get (back) to poking Amazon into making a Stargate continuation.
                      Read an article or two on Forbes about that FTC-thing. They can still object even though the deadline has passed but that even split makes it rather improbable.

Personally, I don't think they should bother with a continuation, or a reboot for that matter. Bring me something new or nothing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

Personally, I don't think they should bother with a continuation, or a reboot for that matter. Bring me something new or nothing at all.
                        You mean something non-Stargate altogether?

Comment

Originally posted by CompanionCube View Post
                          You mean something non-Stargate altogether?
                          No, no... Stargate related obviously. Just don't try to cram decades of lore into a new show. You'll want new viewers to add to the "old" viewers.

Also, it'll probably stream on Amazon Prime so they would have to make it attractive enough for new people to want to sign up or add it to their playlists. If the show requires someone to be familiar with what came before, they might not bother -- seeing as there are 17 seasons of lore to comb through and 3 films.

Personal sidenote: I don't have Prime, nor do I plan to subcribe in the near future. The Netflix and Disney+ libraries have kept me entertained plenty. There are only so many hours in an evening I can spend watching stuff.

The new show, if made, would have to be pretty attractive for me to consider a subscription.

Comment

I don't think Stargate in its current state is 'big' enough for a new show, and Amazon probably doesn't think so either. But, Amazon will likely consider the size of the fanbase as it is PLUS the sheer amount of new fans it will attract through advertising and those already subscribed to Prime. All of those together (fingers crossed) will hopefully warrant a new show that is both new and familiar.

And if Brad Wright and Joseph Mallozzi are allowed to write the show with limited intervention from Amazon, I have full confidence that it will be not just Stargate, but it'll be good.

Comment

I hope someone does something. My current internet service doesn't allow streaming.

Comment

Working...
                              X