Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Amazon even want to make Stargate?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Enderkool View Post
    I don't think Stargate in its current state is 'big' enough for a new show, and Amazon probably doesn't think so either.
    Compared to other Star franchises, stargate is probably considered small potatoes.

    I could see Amazon putting the existing shows + Origins on Prime, gauge interest and base a decision on those numbers. But that's just pure speculation seeing as how the shows are or were already put on there.

    Originally posted by Enderkool View Post
    And if Brad Wright and Joseph Mallozzi are allowed to write the show with limited intervention from Amazon, I have full confidence that it will be not just Stargate, but it'll be good.
    Brad Wright is said to have written a pilot for a new show.

    Joe M. is not involved in that.

    I would want a new team with fresh eyes to give it a go, and especially a new set of ideas -- in so far ideas are still considered fresh these days.

    Originally posted by ScifigirlSG View Post
    I hope someone does something. My current internet service doesn't allow streaming.
    Yikes, that's not cool.

    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

      Compared to other Star franchises, stargate is probably considered small potatoes.
      Oh, yeah thats mainly what I meant, relative to the others. It's still got more potential than an entirely new show.

      Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

      I could see Amazon putting the existing shows + Origins on Prime, gauge interest and base a decision on those numbers. But that's just pure speculation seeing as how the shows are or were already put on there.
      And yes I'm certain Amazon will put Stargate back on Prime, it's actually how I watched it initially. Plus, since this will most likely be the final streaming platform it ends up on, more people are likely to subscribe specifically for the show, further influencing Amazon's decision.

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

        No, no... Stargate related obviously. Just don't try to cram decades of lore into a new show. You'll want new viewers to add to the "old" viewers.

        Also, it'll probably stream on Amazon Prime so they would have to make it attractive enough for new people to want to sign up or add it to their playlists. If the show requires someone to be familiar with what came before, they might not bother -- seeing as there are 17 seasons of lore to comb through and 3 films.

        Personal sidenote: I don't have Prime, nor do I plan to subcribe in the near future. The Netflix and Disney+ libraries have kept me entertained plenty. There are only so many hours in an evening I can spend watching stuff.

        The new show, if made, would have to be pretty attractive for me to consider a subscription.
        In that case I agree completely. It should be something new and fresh while not relying on past events (which pretty much describes SGU perfectly at the time). Any references to past events should be subtle and in-passing as not to interfere with the new premise.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by CompanionCube View Post

          In that case I agree completely. It should be something new and fresh while not relying on past events (which pretty much describes SGU perfectly at the time). Any references to past events should be subtle and in-passing as not to interfere with the new premise.
          Yes, this. Although I personally think they should show Atlantis in like the first episode, maybe as a way to introduce some first mission for the new team. It could take two lines of dialogue to explain its a city, built by ancient aliens, which contains a huge database.
          Even if they decide not to show Atlantis however, they should at least have the SGC or whatever command center the Stargate is located now, iirc not even Universe did that.

          Comment


            #20
            All I want is for Amazon to let Brad Wright do what he wants to with Stargate and with all the characters from SG-1 and SGA making appearances only on an as needed basis as well as any locations like Atlantis, etc. In the new show, they could make a passing reference that Atlantis went back to the Pegasus Galaxy, etc. Basically just taking the things they wanted to have happen had SGA gotten a season 6 or a movie and SG-1 another movie. The show could have the core group of writers, Alan McCullough, Peter DeLuise, Damian Kindler, Robert C. Cooper, etc come in and write, but with new people here and there, as well as any actors from the first three shows who want come in and write or are given an invitation to do so. Same thing with the directors, have the core group, Martin Wood, Peter DeLuise, Will Waring, Andy Mikita, etc mixed with some new ones here and there and actors from the other shows like Amanda Tapping, etc. who have gone on to do some directing.

            Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

            Comment


              #21
              planet_tv
              That's the show I would not watch for the simple reason that it will be more of the same and that's the exact reason I drifted away from Stargate in the first place.

              I don't want the old guard to come back and do more of the same.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

              Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

              Comment


                #22
                We were going so well. Daniel ascended & left the show to be replaced by Jonas (but then Daniel had to come back)
                General Hammond got promoted & virtually left SG1 & Jack was promoted & took over SGC, so appeared less.
                Jack was replaced by Cam as active leader of SG1.
                When Jack finally quit, Landry took over. Then Samantha went off to Atlantis & Varla replaced her.

                So, SG1: Jack gone, Hammond gone, Samantha gone, Daniel almost gone.
                Only Tealc of the originals left. So we almost had a brand new team for the reboot/resurrection.
                And now most of the original actors are too old to come back to 'active' service.
                So new faces, new plots, new actions & adventures is the only way to go.
                The cartouche on Abidos had enough addresses to keep a new series going for years to come, and I am sure the writers can come up with new 'baddies' in other worlds/galaxies.
                http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif








                ​ ​

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
                  Then Samantha went off to Atlantis & Varla replaced her.
                  I don't disagree but I think Sam rejoined SG-1 in Continuum. Coincidentally enough, she's one of the most likely people to actually show up in a new show anyway, so that's nice lol

                  Comment


                    #24
                    I could see sam at the current SGC commander (if the SGC even exists in 2022.)

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Enderkool View Post

                      I don't disagree but I think Sam rejoined SG-1 in Continuum. Coincidentally enough, she's one of the most likely people to actually show up in a new show anyway, so that's nice lol
                      It's hard to say if she rejoined SG-1 or if it was a one off. SG-1 were presented as a team in "Continuum" because it was written and shot with the intention that it would be released in late 2007, so they were not supposed to have broken up yet (hence also why Teal'c still had his pre-Midway haircut in the film). However, because MGM delayed its release for marketing reasons, the writers of Atlantis decided to retroactively place it after the events of Atlantis' season 5 premiere by using the "last" Ba'al clone's extraction ceremony as Carter's reason for returning Earth. In that episode, she thought they were reuniting just to see Ba'al off and expected to be able to return to Atlantis, so it was not her intention to rejoin SG-1.

                      It's possible that she did become a member of SG-1 for a bit after she was removed as Atlantis' commander, but if so it was short-lived because she was given command of her own F-304 between then and the SGU premiere. She told Sheppard that that was her next assignment in the Atlantis' finale. At the time, she had temporary command of the SGC while Laundry was in Washington, but that doesn't mean she wasn't also a member of SG-1 at that point as O'Neill assumed temporary command while Hammond was away pre-season 8.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Xaeden View Post

                        It's hard to say if she rejoined SG-1 or if it was a one off. SG-1 were presented as a team in "Continuum" because it was written and shot with the intention that it would be released in late 2007, so they were not supposed to have broken up yet (hence also why Teal'c still had his pre-Midway haircut in the film). However, because MGM delayed its release for marketing reasons, the writers of Atlantis decided to retroactively place it after the events of Atlantis' season 5 premiere by using the "last" Ba'al clone's extraction ceremony as Carter's reason for returning Earth. In that episode, she thought they were reuniting just to see Ba'al off and expected to be able to return to Atlantis, so it was not her intention to rejoin SG-1.

                        It's possible that she did become a member of SG-1 for a bit after she was removed as Atlantis' commander, but if so it was short-lived because she was given command of her own F-304 between then and the SGU premiere. She told Sheppard that that was her next assignment in the Atlantis' finale. At the time, she had temporary command of the SGC while Laundry was in Washington, but that doesn't mean she wasn't also a member of SG-1 at that point as O'Neill assumed temporary command while Hammond was away pre-season 8.
                        Hmm that makes sense, I had forgotten about her appearance in SGU. From what you said, my guess is that she would've rejoined SG-1 during Atlantis S5 and around the time of EatG took command of the Hammond.

                        I am curious as to how SG-1 would've operated while she was in Atlantis and after she took command of the 304, I'd expect that they would add a new physicist or medic- especially since the Ori threat is gone Vala is a bit redundant.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          planet_tv
                          That's the show I would not watch for the simple reason that it will be more of the same and that's the exact reason I drifted away from Stargate in the first place.

                          I don't want the old guard to come back and do more of the same.
                          Exactly why I want them back! I don't want another wanna be (New) Battlestar Galactica (which was IMHO bad already, but SGU? Worse! Way worse!)!

                          I don't want Stargate to get the Star Trek treatment of uninspired action-movies (I do like my space battles and my fighting on planets, don't get me wrong, but I liked that both SG-1 and Star Trek asked hard questions! Is technological development worth ruining some kids' lives for example?) and bad (woke) shows! Stargate does not need this! It has great stories, great (male and female!) characters etc.

                          I want the "guys" to get back to it and kind of show us what happened to Atlantis (so in a way the additional season SGA should have had!) and what happened to Mitchell's SG-1 (so what are Sam, Teal'c, Daniel and Mitchel doing now?)...hell, despite not actually caring they should give closure to SGU as well and then:

                          New Stuff, new Team etc.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            If I were writing this show - I already did a fan-fiction about this - I would make it about a Expedition to rescue the crew of the Destiny. Twelve years would be more then enough time for Earth to build its own version of Destiny. And I'd have the ship launch from Atlantis, which would be a nice MacGuffin for its inclusion.
                            sigpic

                            SGU Continued....

                            Comment


                              #29
                              I prefer to have a continuation of SGU.

                              Thing is, that many of the actors are older, but not too old. Compared to SG-1's older cast (see post end), Robert Carlyle is only 61.
                              Guest actor Victor Garber (Langaran Ambassador Ovirda) is 73, and still in business: Deadline announced on 31 March, that The CW acquired the Canadian drama series Family Law, where he and Jewel Staite star.

                              In-story, the Destiny crew are still in stasis, and I think there will be found a reason as to why they have grown older, assuming Eli has had a hand in this to extend the range of the ship as much as possible.

                              All their relatives will be 11...12 years older (as of 2022). Matt Scott's son will be 20, an adult, and that should therefore be enough reason for him to be included in the show in some form.

                              In contrast, many of the SG-1 actors are much older, some of the guest cast have passed away, and a bunch are in such an age, where they eventually do join the space bar up there:
                              Richard Dean Anderson is 72; Beau Bridges is 80, Robert Picardo is 68.
                              Don S. Davis passed away at 65.
                              Last edited by Mardus; 19 April 2022, 03:47 PM. Reason: Last edited by Mardus; Today, 02:45 AM. Reason: Edited to clarify, that SGU actors are not 'much' older; added SG-1 context, and some of the actors' ages.
                              • I'm a fan of this awesome Trek webcomic: betafleet.tumblr.com (archived)
                              • Eesti on ilus, ja tropid poliitikud ei ole enam kõikvõimsad.
                              • I chose the Gate avatar, because it was difficult to choose between SGU character pictures of someone who I thought I was like, and someone who I was fond of. :>

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Just saw these 2 tweets in a thread on Twitter by Brad Wright:
                                https://twitter.com/bradtravelers/st...CsldSuqKUqAAAA

                                https://twitter.com/bradtravelers/st...Cp3e-ztKUqAAAA

                                I have several thoughts here:
                                - he talks about 3 pilots and one movie for Amazon: I'm wondering if this is all Stargate-related. Two of those pilots we can be sure off: the one requested by MGM which he told fans about years ago before the pandemic and one of those other two of which he shared the front/cover page via Twitter recently.
                                - he's not forbidden to talk about anything but has no idea what's going on: so we're still not in the stage of going forward towards chevron six locked.
                                - "It's more likely than not that none will get produced but all are still possible. That's the nature of the business.": sounds to me like he himself is also more and more convinced that his involvement and proposals will get a no-go.

                                So my impression here is: I'm more and more of the opinion that we can kiss any Brad Wright involvement goodbye. Also a continuation of Stargate in line with canon is more and more doubtful.

                                Not exactly great news if you ask me.

                                I really hope we're not going to see either nothing happening with Stargate or either having the franchise get the Kurzman treatment like in the recent years with the Star Trek franchise.

                                Man this really is a bummer.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X