Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask "BAMBAM" - Spoilers ALL seasons, all SG Shows/Movies

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Ask "BAMBAM" - Spoilers ALL seasons, all SG Shows/Movies




    James "BAMBAM" Bamford has joined us in GateWorld Forum (under the handle "2BAM") to answer your questions! He is the Stunt Coordinator for Stargate: Atlantis and the Fight Coordinator for Stargate SG-1! You may have recognized him as the Athosian armed with a couple of Bantos Rods, sparring against Teyla in Season One's "The Siege, Part II."

    A rule: Because of BAMBAM's limited availability we ask that you only submit one question per post in this thread.

    As with Joe and Martin, please be curteous when you ask BAMBAM questions. He is kindly giving up some of his free time to be with you!

    #2
    Great to see you here Mr. Bamford!

    Are there other members of the cast that are training like Rachael is?

    Comment


      #3
      Hey Bam2 I am glad you are spending time with us.

      Does training to stick fight have any special religious relatons to the Athosions?

      Comment


        #4
        Hi Bam2! Welcome to the forum.

        What's the most difficult stunt you've had to coordinate on Atlantis so far?
        Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

        Comment


          #5
          Hi BamBam,

          Firstly, thanks for joining us.

          How does someone get into doing stunts? Does it just come from hurting yourself a lot as a child?
          I live my life one Friday night at a time!

          Comment


            #6
            What other martial arts (if any) are going to be incorporated into SGA besides the Kali/Arnis? (And thanks for that again, btw! )
            And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

            Jack: You're so shallow.
            Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
            Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
            Daniel: Oh! You see?
            Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

            River: My food is problematic.

            Comment


              #7
              I'm a poor college student, but I'm interested in learning martial arts (i.e. jujitsu). What's the cheapest way of doing so? I've looked into several schools, but they seem to cost an arm and a leg. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Droops
                Great to see you here Mr. Bamford!

                Are there other members of the cast that are training like Rachael is?
                Ronon, you will find to be a very talented fighter, yet different from Teyla. I try to keep the characters styles separate. You must watch Season 2 to find out.
                Last edited by 2BAM; May 20, 2005, 03:18 AM.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by col_oatmeal
                  Hey Bam2 I am glad you are spending time with us.

                  Does training to stick fight have any special religious relatons to the Athosions?
                  So far, the Athosians traditional martial art is a form of training passed on from generation to generation, to improve the individual's strength, speed, reaction time, and all around combat senses. There has been no mention of any religious connection as yet.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Kes
                    Hi Bam2! Welcome to the forum.

                    What's the most difficult stunt you've had to coordinate on Atlantis so far?
                    That is a very hard question to answer as they all have their merits based on different things. Sometimes the smallest gags are the hardest because people overlook details. The only challenge that I would say is "hard" would be the time factor. It is sometimes very hard to find the time to rehearse any given fight scene because of the rigid schedule we keep. The actor's availabilty is sometimes scarce.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by MedusA
                      Hi BamBam,

                      Firstly, thanks for joining us.

                      How does someone get into doing stunts? Does it just come from hurting yourself a lot as a child?
                      Many different methods have been used to break into the stunt world. One thing that helps is to come into the industry with a high level athletic skill in the first place. Martial arts, gymnastics, motocross, high diving,..............etc................these are all skills that are applicable to stunt work, and more. You must be a very adaptable athelete, and be able to take a hard hit as well. Stunt people are the ultimate cross-trainers because they have to have such a diverse number of skills to draw on. After having something to get the attention of the Stunt Coordinator in the first place, one must promote him/herself on set by doing background extra work or anything to get near the Coordinator. This can take years. Sometimes an individual may know someone, or be related to someone to get them in the door. This only starts them out. They must continue to shine in order to get re-hired.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Hex.FTB.enabled
                        What other martial arts (if any) are going to be incorporated into SGA besides the Kali/Arnis? (And thanks for that again, btw! )
                        You will see a variety of practical martial arts including kendo, submission wrestling, Muay Thai, Silat. I try not to limit the choreography to one style............."Knowing is not enough, we must appy................Willing is not enough, we must do."---Bruce Lee.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Lord You
                          I'm a poor college student, but I'm interested in learning martial arts (i.e. jujitsu). What's the cheapest way of doing so? I've looked into several schools, but they seem to cost an arm and a leg. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
                          That is a hard one, depending on the area you live in. The schools cost what they cost. I do not reccomend learning from a book either. You can learn alot of theory from books and videos, but untested, the art is useless. Keep looking in your area, there will be something affordable. Usually at a college you can find instruction for a low, student rate.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Welcome 2BAM.

                            I know it's hard to find a job that you are happy with and I'm guessing that working on SG1/SGA has been good to you, but what has been the worst job you have ever had?
                            If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Dotus5
                              Welcome 2BAM.

                              I know it's hard to find a job that you are happy with and I'm guessing that working on SG1/SGA has been good to you, but what has been the worst job you have ever had?
                              I would have to say.............................when I was 14 I worked in a grocery store, sweeping the front walkway, crushing boxes, stocking shelves..............boring, boring, boring!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X