Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In today's technologically advanced world, many argue that martial arts are an anachronism with respect to utility in combat. I believe that the mental and personal benefits they bring can still be greatly useful in preparing someone for combat, and developing their mind to fight, where the real battle lies. What's your view on this?

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"
    - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC-65AD)

Why it's a "magazine" and not a "clip".

Comment

Thank you for taking time out to answer out questions....

Although we have seen Teyla use the sticks in Hot Zone and Suspicion and the knives in The Eye and The Siege part 2, time wise these scenes were short, my question is this: Will we see her use either method in season two for a longer period?

Mandeep

British-Indian and proud.

Comment

My question is this:-

I thought the fight scene in the secret chamber in 'The Brotherhood', going in under cover of the flash-bangs, was fantastic. It came across as very realistic - 'get in hard and fast and precise and regain control'. It certainly gave the impression that it really was in a very confined space, and it demonstrated the military component of Sheppard's team working smoothly and lethally together. (Poor McKay!)

Was that scene more difficult to put together than the more 'spread out' action of, for example, the fights with the Wraith in 'Suspicion' or the fights in the corridors of Atlantis in 'The Seige part 2'? And which do you prefer to plan/co-ordinate?

And can I just say thanks for taking time out to answer our questions, I think the stunts and screen fighting on Atlantis are innovative and of the highest standard!
        McKay, "I'm not sure I can fix this."
        Grodin, "You can fix anything."
        McKay, "Who told you that?"
        Grodin, "You did. Several times."

Comment

Thanks for spending time with us. Also, thanks for all the great stunts on SGA!

My question...will you be appearing in additional episodes of SGA?

Thanks again.
          -girlgater

Comment

I'd also like to thank you 2B for making the time to answer our questions.

Originally posted by Cassiopeia
            I thought the fight scene in the secret chamber in 'The Brotherhood', going in under cover of the flash-bangs, was fantastic. It came across as very realistic - 'get in hard and fast and precise and regain control'. It certainly gave the impression that it really was in a very confined space, and it demonstrated the military component of Sheppard's team working smoothly and lethally together. (Poor McKay!)
            I agree. I think I saw Ford do some submission wrestling move (armbar), but I haven't seen the episode for a long time so I'm unsure.

My final question right now is what's your training schedule look like? I gather it is unusual with the hetic 12-14 hour days that television production demands. How do the actors (and you) keep with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Panther
              In today's technologically advanced world, many argue that martial arts are an anachronism with respect to utility in combat. I believe that the mental and personal benefits they bring can still be greatly useful in preparing someone for combat, and developing their mind to fight, where the real battle lies. What's your view on this?
              I agree completely.

Comment

Originally posted by hollyshannensangel
                Thank you for taking time out to answer out questions....

Although we have seen Teyla use the sticks in Hot Zone and Suspicion and the knives in The Eye and The Siege part 2, time wise these scenes were short, my question is this: Will we see her use either method in season two for a longer period?

Mandeep
                As you may or may not know, a real fight only takes a few seconds. This is particularilly true if one of the combatants is very skilled. Brad and Robert know this as well so any characters fight scenes will not last longer than 2 minutes max............and that is really long! Most of the scenes will be approx. 30 seconds or so, that is screen time. Of course you will see more of what you saw last season........only different. New characters and storylines.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassiopeia
                  My question is this:-

Was that scene more difficult to put together than the more 'spread out' action of, for example, the fights with the Wraith in 'Suspicion' or the fights in the corridors of Atlantis in 'The Seige part 2'? And which do you prefer to plan/co-ordinate?

And can I just say thanks for taking time out to answer our questions, I think the stunts and screen fighting on Atlantis are innovative and of the highest standard!
                  Thank you for the compliments! This was not difficult to choreagraph at all as the action was very short. The challenge was the timing with the camera operator and all of the actors attacking at just the right moment, to give that explosive feel. This kind of shot requires more rehearsal with camera timing than longer fight sequences because, although shorter in time, it involves more elements and variables. With a more spread out scene, we can isolate everything into pieces much easier, and still show the general geography of the land.

Comment

Originally posted by girlgater
                    Thanks for spending time with us. Also, thanks for all the great stunts on SGA!

My question...will you be appearing in additional episodes of SGA?

Thanks again.
                    I can't answer that as I don't know. That one is up to Brad and Robert and the Directors. That was a fun piece to do with Rachel, but my place is behind the monitor with the Director. Chances are, though, that the answer is yes..................maybe. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord You
                      I'd also like to thank you 2B for making the time to answer our questions.

I agree. I think I saw Ford do some submission wrestling move (armbar), but I haven't seen the episode for a long time so I'm unsure.

My final question right now is what's your training schedule look like? I gather it is unusual with the hetic 12-14 hour days that television production demands. How do the actors (and you) keep with it?
                      Generally when we are in full production, we only train for a specific fight scene when it comes up. All of the actors that have a style as part of their character undergo a "bootcamp" in a way, when we first meet. After that, time is an issue, so I must rely on knowing the strengths of each individual, and planning the fights based on that. I continue my own training after hours at a fight gym called "FRANCO'S KICKBOXING and PANKRATION". My own training these days mostly consists of several rounds of stand-up Muay Thai sparring, followed by submission wrestling. My martial arts background spans about 26 years, give or take a few. I am always trying out new styles and techniques that don't always apply to film. The actors sometimes ask for some extra training, outside of a specific fight scene, which I love. Rachel has always put in extra practice..................and it shows as you can tell.

Comment

Mr. B.

Great to see you talking to all us nutters, and hope you are having a good time here.

What other shows/films have you worked on, and how did you get the Stargate job?

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Hi BamBam!

I don't want to get too spoilery, but with the changes to Ford's character that are coming up in the next season will we be seeing more action/fighting scenes with him?

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Since you are the fight coordinator for Stargate SG-1, can you tell us a little bit about some of the fight scenes you've coordinated for season 9?

SueS

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                              Mr. B.

Great to see you talking to all us nutters, and hope you are having a good time here.

What other shows/films have you worked on, and how did you get the Stargate job?
                              Great to be here!! My resume' is too long to quote here, but you can check it out at www.stuntscanada.com in the members area and you will find all of my information there. I was brought on the show through previous relationships with Martin Wood, Peter Deluise, Andy Mikita, the producer John Smith, and the production manager, George Horie.Take care!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                                Hi BamBam!

I don't want to get too spoilery, but with the changes to Ford's character that are coming up in the next season will we be seeing more action/fighting scenes with him?
                                I can't tell you that information exactly................but.........................Yes he will be involved in some action for sure!!

Comment

Working...
                                X