Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of GateWorld (Community Discussion)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Archive Mode and Expand A Little.

I say update on the Stargate content you have already. For instance...there are some episodes in the archive that don't have transcripts. Aslo...expand on the fanfic archive...and keep it updated.

But...I also like expanding the site a little to other tv show or movies. There are a lot of other shows...I'm sure...that many of us are hooked onto. Such as... I'm a big fan of Deadliest Catch...Mythbusters...and Dirty Jobs. I would to be able to share my joy of those shows with others.

Thank you Darren for keeping the doors open for us...and calling this our home. I do feel like I'm home here. It's always nice know there is always some place familiar to come back to make you feel at home. Thank you Darren again. And...you have a blessed Christmas as well.
    sigpic
    Follow me on Twitter! I'm on Facebook!

Comment

maybe, in Sue Jackson's idea, instead of different threads for non-scifi shows (we do have a deadliest catch thread) threads can be made for the networks those shows air on. for example a discovery channel thread, a history channel thread, etc

I think the only quibble i can see with that it some shows air on multiple channels (monster fish for example is airing both on animal planet and discovery, same with the colony and others)

I guess my point is, individual threads for shows can get lost, but network threads covering any shows on that network could be a bit more active to not get lost
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        maybe, in Sue Jackson's idea, instead of different threads for non-scifi shows (we do have a deadliest catch thread) threads can be made for the networks those shows air on. for example a discovery channel thread, a history channel thread, etc

I think the only quibble i can see with that it some shows air on multiple channels (monster fish for example is airing both on animal planet and discovery, same with the colony and others)

I guess my point is, individual threads for shows can get lost, but network threads covering any shows on that network could be a bit more active to not get lost
        Not exactly user friendly, which networks would you use, American? Canadian? British? and how would a user from a country outside of the one that is used for categories know where to find a particular show.

Comment

good point.

On the other hand, we've had a deadliest catch thread for years now, and its just up to a few pages...so there would probably have to be some discretion as to which shows get a thread....or fans just make them and it's up to natural selection...what's popular survives.

which makes it pretty much like how we have the threads in off topic right now. We have a lot of individual show threads devoted to non scifi shows....some are active, others died an early death

sigpic

Comment

There are also some glaring omissions from the General Sci-fi and Fantasy section such as The Walking Dead - when its clear a science fiction show is a hit there should be a section made about it right away, unless GW is not interested in providing a place for discussion about popular shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
              There are also some glaring omissions from the General Sci-fi and Fantasy section such as The Walking Dead - when its clear a science fiction show is a hit there should be a section made about it right away, unless GW is not interested in providing a place for discussion about popular shows.
              That's a whoooooole other can of worms
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

I have to voice a bit of dissent on this one too. What about networks that play a lot of series? Take HBO for instance....are Entourage, Sopranos, Band of Brothers, Curb Your Enthusiasm and (etc etc) fans just supposed to talk over one another to carry on a dialogue about the show they want to talk about?

It'd be messy, very messy. Like the Stargate episode general discussion threads; a real pain in the behind to try to read or participate in.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

i can appreciate that. maybe a 'all for one' approach doesn't work well. Have a network that has a lot of shows, each show can have its own thread, but have another one that has only 1 popular show and a couple of mediocrely popular shows, they might be lumped

or maybe each show gets its own

I think my point is, it will come down to forum members ot keep things going and active. which means they may likely be the ones to make a thread, but it also means they'll be the ones keeping things going. Let's say that Darren wants to add a non-scifi section full of shows....I would imagine that he'd leave it to fans to make threads - like they do now. Well you guys want them to stay alive and active, you're going to have to do the work to keep them going.

Just a point to think about, the life of a forum comes from its members.

sigpic

Comment

I don't know that I'd even want to see a whole non-SF section with subforums and all, but a single non-SF forum may not be a bad idea. We could just run individual show threads within (a thread for Deadliest Catch, a thread for Mad Men, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

I don't know that I'd even want to see a whole non-SF section with subforums and all, but a single non-SF forum may not be a bad idea. We could just run individual show threads within (a thread for Deadliest Catch, a thread for Mad Men, etc).
                      I've been wanting this for years.

I've voiced this want several times in the Suggestions thread. But I thought this thread was only about the discussion of the main page content so I didn't comment about the forum itself.

Anyway, yes a single folder that could be counted as OT (as I could care less about post count) would be great for shows that don't fall into the General S/F folder. Threads for those shows get bumped down by all the other randomness in OT. Stick all those threads in one folder and they'd be easier to find and would hopefully likely generate more discussion in them.
                      IMO always implied.

Comment

Something else I thought of what about this: When you click on the General Sci-Fi and Fantasy section what about having 3 folders in there called TV shows, Movies, Books. Then maybe something similar in the OT section.

I think for the General Sci-Fi and Fantasy section it would help determine what new TV shows are popular and if said show is popular enough to get its own section under SciFi Stream.

One other suggestion I thought of for the future of GateWorld is this: what about once or twice a mouth release a word puzzle (crossword, word search, etc.) on the main page with a title like Here's the Gateworld word puzzle for the month.

What made me thing of that is that I have program where you can create word puzzles like crosswords, word searches and some other word puzzles.

I figure newspapers and some magazines, outside of word puzzle books, have word puzzles why not GateWorld.

I don't know if this is good idea but if it did turn out to be one then I would gladly help out with it.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Originally posted by planet_tv View Post
                          Something else I thought of what about this: When you click on the General Sci-Fi and Fantasy section what about having 3 folders in there called TV shows, Movies, Books. Then maybe something similar in the OT section.

I think for the General Sci-Fi and Fantasy section it would help determine what new TV shows are popular and if said show is popular enough to get its own section under SciFi Stream.
                          I see what you're getting at. Personally I'd have to disagree with that....I think what the community needs in a period of downtime is to be pushed together, rather than split apart.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

I think most of us come to GW for Science Fiction an I'm not sure branching out into non-sci-fi (other than the OT area) is a good use of the limited GW resources.

That being said, if something like this is done I think having a good Demi-Mod or Mod to manage the area would be important. Have a place for a single thread about each show, with no random threads allowed (similar to the Season by Season areas of other shows), makes those go in General OT.
                            sigpic

Comment

First off, I'd like to say thanks very much to Darren and anyone else who works to keep this site going. I was coming to Gateworld even before it became the incarnation it is now, I think it was the Delphi Forums? Anyway, it is a home away from home for me and lots of others.

I think you might be surprised at how attended a forum for old shows might be. I have attended one that is rather prolific for fic for a Western from the 60s. I'm thinking people interested in these shows may want a comfortable place like Gateworld to discuss them and find others who enjoy them as well. It wasn't until Gateworld that I realized I wasn't the only one who enjoyed whump of my fav characters in a show. ;-)

Anyway, I enjoy the site a lot and feel just do what you have to do to bring people in and keep it alive. I look forward to having this place around for many more years.

Happy Holidays Darren and everyone at Gateworld.
                              Shelly
                              My Photos
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                                Archive Mode. We don't update the site as much with new content, but focus all our efforts on catching up on those static portions of the site that are unfinished or out of date (the episode guides for past shows, the Omnipedia, etc.). The site as it exists now is all here (yes, including the forum), when you want to visit and look up something -- but we don't do much in the way of new content.
                                This option seems best. What news will there to be to cover if there's nothing in production? I come here for Stargate news and to discuss the show. If I want to read about another show or discuss that show, I'll go to a website dedicated to that show. I do use some of the non-Stargate forums, but that's purely out of convenience. If they weren't there, I wouldn't care. In regards to expanding... if you're going to expand to cover a whole range of science-fiction shows, why call the website GateWorld? How about SciFiWorld? Why stop at science-fiction? There are plenty of good shows outside the genre worthy of attention and discussion.

I say keep it simple, focus on Stargate and go into archive mode until news of a new production comes this way.

Comment

Working...
                                X