Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey there, Anubis. Safari will doubtless be included in the test. All of my Mac's at school have it as the base browser -- and even now GateWorld is often screwed up in it -- particularly the Omnipedia. I want that fixed, too.

Comment

Originally posted by _Anubis
      Firefox rules the Internet. Internet Explorer bites ! Someone who doesn't agree with my statement should try to look up some information. Microsoft admits that they made an error not updating Internet Explorer. Even now with the release of Internet Explorer 7 won't be as good as Firefox. Microsoft admits that ! They even bought stuff from Firefox. You might notice the orange square where the URL is. They bought that too ! It is a nifty feature.
      Not so much from my POV. It caused me no end of trouble and resulted in me losing an important work project, and almost my job because of it. It took less than 12 hours to wreak havoc on my PC, and led to widespread corruption of my hard drive. I wish I'd have listened to my instincts that it was the problem at this point, however people like yourself were insistant it wasn't the cause of my almost permanent PC woes at the time. However, after the tenth reinstall of XP and only reinstalling FF, it became blatantly obvious what the culprit was. Less than a week later, the HD completely failed after only 18 months.

I honestly don't care what people have to say about IE. It works and it has never physically laid waste to my hardware...

If anyone has anything else to recommend as a browser, I'd be willing to entertain it...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
      "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Originally posted by David
        Hey there, Anubis. Safari will doubtless be included in the test. All of my Mac's at school have it as the base browser -- and even now GateWorld is often screwed up in it -- particularly the Omnipedia. I want that fixed, too.

That's good to hear. Thanks for the reassaurance, David. Much appreciated.
        __

__

Comment

Originally posted by David
          We won't be using flash. We may use GIF to do a transition in a certain part of the page, but that would be it.
          Your current menu is flash? It's much easier to use a Javscript/CSS menu. It looks better, and you don't need plugins to see it.
          I'm from Iowa, United States

Comment

Cross-browser testing will be an important component of beta testing. When the time comes to look for beta-testers, we'll be requesting those with certain browsers and platforms in order to cover our bases.

Can't promise, of course, that it will be 100% perfect and identical on every browser for every platform and every OS in the universe. Years ago I discovered that if I stopped trying to do that, I will live longer.
            GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
            The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
            Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

The current nav menu on the main site is JavaScript w/CSS, and will probably be on the new site as well.

Comment

Have you guys thought about doing some sort of podcast? Maybe a week in review, interviews, convention coverage. The only reason I'm asking because I don't get here that often anymore and it would be nice to still keep up with all the news.
                If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Comment

Yep. We'd like to, and have been doing some "beta" work on a podcast. It's not ready for primetime just yet, but it is something we want to get into!

Comment

Looking forward to seeing the new site once complete.

Keep up the hard work

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                      Cross-browser testing will be an important component of beta testing. When the time comes to look for beta-testers, we'll be requesting those with certain browsers and platforms in order to cover our bases.

Can't promise, of course, that it will be 100% perfect and identical on every browser for every platform and every OS in the universe. Years ago I discovered that if I stopped trying to do that, I will live longer.

As for cross-platform testing, you'll never get perfect results on each OS, but, if you're aiming for the compatibility to be with Firefox, most browsers have everything that Firefox has, I believe. All browsers have their issues, including Firefox, and I'm sure none of the browsers will have a 100% perfect site. That's just the way it is.

Since I'm quite a heavy Mac user, and I know quite a fair chunk about HTML/CSS/JavaScript, nearer the time, if you're in need of a Safari tester - I'm here.
                      __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
                        Since I'm quite a heavy Mac user, and I know quite a fair chunk about HTML/CSS/JavaScript, nearer the time, if you're in need of a Safari tester - I'm here.
                        *nod* Same goes here for Mozilla, aside from the Mac part.

Comment

how about a links page with links to other stargate sites such as fan run sites for the different actors etc and links to all the conventions that are held for people new to the whole conventions thing...

i dont think you have this already feel free to zat me if you do LOL

cant think of anything else at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                            Yep. We'd like to, and have been doing some "beta" work on a podcast. It's not ready for primetime just yet, but it is something we want to get into!
                            *raises hand*

I'd love to help. If you want it on iTunes, I could probably add it for ya.

After becoming a beta tester for some software on my Palm, I realized how interesting being a beta tester is.
                            sigpic

Comment

We do have a conventions list, with links:

http://www.gateworld.net/fandom/conventions/index.shtml

I've always wanted to do a links page / section of some sort, but I'm still trying to find a really smart way of doing it. I don't want to just do a flat page with dozens (or hundreds) of fan site links that have to be constantly, manually maintained. (I did that on a site in college, and it became a full time job just fielding update and addition requests.) Some sort of script that would allow webmasters to log in and add/edit their own site info would be great.

Comment

please no flash!

Yeah skins mentioned early on in this thread would be cool, i always wanted to change the style a little from time to time, but i settled for the blue theme, em.....let me think ideas.......oh i think some of the foldering could do with a little of an update, the folders at the bottom of the screen could do with being colour coded, that would be a little easier on the eye being able to distinguish between sections, but thats not that important, but if i think of anything profound i will be back to post it here

P.S sorry if i have mentioned anything that has alredy been posted here
                                For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Working...
                                X