Thought On Destiny's Reactors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought On Destiny's Reactors.

While watching "Light" I noticed that Destiny passes through the upper atmosphere of a gas giant right before entering the sun to refuel itself. Given that the upper atmospheres of gas giants hold a significant amount of helium and hydrogen, could it be possible that the Destiny purposely traveled through the planet to scoop up helium-3 for backup power and hydrogen for engine propellant? As for the ship dipping into the sun, my best guess is that Destiny's form of F.T.L. propulsion requires an enormous amount of power, hence the need for anti-matter fuel. Any thoughts on this?

Now that I think about it, it makes sense that the Lucien Alliance would want to figure out how Destiny's refueling systems and reactors work. A more modern ship with that type of anti-matter fueled power source might give a Z.P.M. enhanced ship a run for it's money + it would be re-fuelable, something that's impossible for a Z.P.M. to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Lantien84 View Post
      Now that I think about it, it makes sense that the Lucien Alliance would want to figure out how Destiny's refueling systems and reactors work. A more modern ship with that type of anti-matter fueled power source might give a Z.P.M. enhanced ship a run for it's money + it would be re-fuelable, something that's impossible for a Z.P.M. to do.
      Sweet Mercy man, why the hell didn't I see that connection? It makes perfect sense in hind sight. Imagine a ship with the power that Destiny no doubt has, and all it needs is a star to refuel, and it doesn't use hyperspace but FTL. I'm guessing the FTL was intentional for some reason.

Comment

As for the ship dipping into the sun, my best guess is that Destiny's form of F.T.L. propulsion requires an enormous amount of power, hence the need for anti-matter fuel.
        ...anti-matter?

I'm sorry, but what does anti-matter have to do with anything?
        "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
        - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
        - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
        - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Destiny refueled itself in the sun, the sun produces and enormous amount of anti-matter. It makes sense that if the Destiny were to refuel itself in the atmosphere of a star it would collect the most powerful fuel in that environment: anti-matter. Theoretically an anti-matter fueled fusion reactor would be ten times as powerful as a conventional reactor. The type of power core Destiny uses could be a technology the Ancients lost during their history and the advantages of a reactor that powerful capable of infinitely refueling itself could be used to create ships that could match or exceed the power and capabilities of Ori ships or even Atlantis.

Comment

Destiny refueled itself in the sun, the sun produces and enormous amount of anti-matter. It makes sense that if the Destiny were to refuel itself in the atmosphere of a star it would collect the most powerful fuel in that environment: anti-matter. Theoretically an anti-matter fueled fusion reactor would be ten times as powerful as a conventional reactor. The type of power core Destiny uses could be a technology the Ancients lost during their history and the advantages of a reactor that powerful capable of infinitely refueling itself could be used to create ships that could match or exceed the power and capabilities of Ori ships or even Atlantis.
            No the sun doesn't make antimatter. Also, antimatter has nothing to do with fusion at all.

You're also talking about a technology we've seen refueled twice already in 1/2 a season because ~80 people? were on the ship v.s. a ZPM which powered a shield the size of a city for over 3,000 years. Sure you can refill it, but I'm guessing ZPMs weren't hard for the Ancients to make considering they were used as a primary means of power generation for anything of size.
            Before this day is done, I will feed on your buttery defiance

Comment

Stars do produce anti-matter.http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/...903rhessi.html
              Through out SGA it has always been implied that ZPMs were difficult and dangerous to make and no one in three galaxies has any idea how to make more.
              Last edited by Lantien84; 22 March 2010, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Theoretically an anti-matter fueled fusion reactor would be ten times as powerful as a conventional reactor.
                If it used antimatter as fuel, it wouldn't be a Fusion Reactor, it would be an Annihilation Reactor. Fusion is when you combine two atoms to get a heavier atom; this is not what you do with matter and antimatter. Instead, when matter comes into contact with antimatter, they mutually annihilate, resulting in the full release of their rest energy.

Unfortunately, what this article tells us is that, unless there is a solar flare in progress and unless the Destiny flies through that solar flare, there will not be any anti-matter for the Destiny to collect.

At all other times, any antimatter created in the star would be destroyed as soon as it was created.

Through out SGA it has always been implied that ZPMs were difficult and dangerous to make.
                Not really. In fact, it is only the SGC that has had trouble with making ZPMs. For example, the Asurans had "more than enough" ZPMs to meet their needs.
                "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

My bad. The reactors would be annhilation reactors not fusion, but regarding ZPMs, who knows how many the Asurans had or how long it took to make them.

Comment

regarding ZPMs, who knows how many the Asurans had or how long it took to make them.
                    How many? "Many" ("Progeny") and "More than enough to suit our needs" (Ibid).

How quickly can they make new ones? Faster than they use the old ones.

Comment

Stars do produce anti-matter.http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/...903rhessi.html
                      Through out SGA it has always been implied that ZPMs were difficult and dangerous to make and no one in three galaxies has any idea how to make more.
                      Yeah, I think Quadhelix has this one right.

Anti-matter annihilates matter when they come in contact with one another, so any antimatter produced in a solar flare is destroyed in less than the blink of an eye. Additionally storing anti-matter would require heavily shielded and power-hungry containment vessel to prevent it from contacting any matter and annihilating itself before the reactor was ready to utilize it.

As for ZPMs, we already know that the ancients abandoned fusion power generation in favor of ZPMs, so they are definitely a better power source. With that said I think the idea that the Lucian alliance is interested in ancient fusion technology makes a fair bit of sense by itself, especially the parts on how to make the ship survive scooping up fuel from a star. So your basic idea still works, just a bit different on what they are after is all.

Finally, if you consider how quickly Atlantis uses a ZPM for takeoff/landing, using shields, hyper-drive, etc...and compare it to the carefree way the Asurans use those features it definitely indicates that they can make them fairly readily. With that said, it's obvious that Atlantis and Earth have yet to reproduce that feat so its not just a simple matter by any stretch. But we know it can be done because both the Ancients and the Asurans practically had ZPM pez dispensers with how many they left laying about the place.

Comment

the destiny probably has fusion reactors. since they're not clearly visible, it must be some shield-enforced fusion.

Comment

Maybe the Destiny uses a matter Annihilation Reactor that seems so popular in other sci-fi shows like the Minbari quantum singularity or Romulan ship core.

P.S. Reactors that I have seen in sci-fi:
                          • Chemical engine(petrolium)
                          • Solar power
                          • Nuclear fission(today's nuclear reactors)
                          • Fusion reactor
                          • Cold fusion(Lynea's cold fusion plant yes a real plant I would imagine that would make the eco-freaks happy)
                          • Matter/Antimatter reactor(not seen on the show)
                          • Quantum singularity reactor(not seen in the show)
                          • Naquadah reactor(yes. it defies the laws of physics)
                          • Naquadriah reactor(instability increases with the energy drawn from it)
                          • Neutrino_ion generator(Asgard)
                          • Hyperspace drain
                          • Z.P.M.
                          • Arcturus reactor(the power of the universe at you finger tips)

Comment

Sorry to put a damper on things, but calculations on the yield of naqudah actually give value greater than annihilation, making Amat reactors both more dangerous, and less powerful than naqudah reactors.

Comment

Okay then. Maybe Destiny doesn't use antimatter, but then why would it need to refuel itself in a star when it could have just scooped up fuel in a gas giant? Plus I doubt the Ancients used ZPMs to power everything, its more likely they used some sort of fusion or naquada reactors for most technology and ZPMs for power hungry things like city ships, defense stations, super-grids, and war ships. Anyway my main point was that Destiny's power source and its refueling ability makes it very valuable and powerful. If applied to Earth or Lucien Alliance ships it could boost their power generating abilities. That's my thinking as to why the Lucien Alliance wants the ship so badly.
                              Last edited by Lantien84; 23 March 2010, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X