Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try the Science/tech area of the forum they have a Q/A for the ninth cheveron there.
    I doubt my sanity; then again I doubt yours as well!

Comment

But see, that's my point.

We know eventually they thought about using the 8th chevron as a means of getting to another galaxy, but when the movie first came out, they never thought of that, and therefore they never had to put 9 chevrons on the gate, only 7.

The fact that they DID put 9 is what's odd.

Comment

Maybe they thought it looks cool
        Xtremixt

All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the shadow and the breaking of the world. And him they named Dragon.

Comment

If you look at this cap from the movie, the dialling computer shows 9 chevrons:

Unfortunately, you never really see the bottom of the actual gate prop without something (either people or ramp) being in the way.

This one however would be clearest of the actual gate, and i can't see the extra chevrons at the very bottom. Can't say it's conclusive though.

As for why (if there are 9) - er .... it looks more symmetrical? - if they have 7 equidistant chevrons, they might get hidden by the ramp etc, which would look worse possibly?
          I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Symmetry
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

This will no doubt soon be merged with the main 9th chevron thread, which I think is in the Science and Tech bit. No one knows what it does, maybe we will one day find out. Writers probably put it there so they could make a story out of it at some point.
              * Always remember - You are unique, just like everyone else. *

* Avoid employing unlucky people, throw half of the CVs in the bin without reading them. *

Lost City, Part 2 - The Gateworld best ep S1-7

The 'Everyone Gets A Compliment' Thread

Comment

I don't know why they have 9 chevrons on the gate. But it is symmetrical when there are 9. Or it could be to use up the space at the bottom of the gate.
                Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

9th Chevron Guesstimate: For dialing alternate universes....

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

I guess I should've made it clear that my thread was NOT ABOUT what the 9th chevon did, but rather why IN THE REAL WORLD the producers decided to put more there than they need.

I like the symmetry idea, as well as the fact that some of the chevrons would be hidden if there were only 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Whistler
                      Well noone knows! The Ninth Chevron has not been used once in Stargate's history, it is the final unexplained mystery of the gate, at least the last major one. There are many theories, I personally think it could be the subject of a further spin-off, ofcourse all we know is that the Ninth Chevron will be the point of Origin
                      ancients made the gate 9th chevron was put for decoprative =purpouses

Comment

It may be a tool used in order to defeat the Ori.

Comment

I don't know whether or not someone has posted this so humor me.

the ninth chevron could allow you to open a wormhole to a place that doesn't have a stargate thus opening a whole lot more places up for exploration.

(it's just a thought it could be wrong)

Comment

I think that the 9th cheveron could be used for disabling a gate or maybe even distroying one. From what we know a gate is really hard to get rid of. Wouldn't the Ancients want a way to turn off a stargate if they ever had a reason to? or Maybe it is for accessing a stargate that already has a wormhole connected to it, like an override command. or maybe it was put there to confuse races that were not as smart as the Ancients. and as to why the original movie had 9 instead of just 7, maybe its because they really did find a "stargate" somewhere and everything they put on tv is really happening, and the only reason they put it on tv is to get help from outside sources for what the 9th cheveron does. That way they would not have to pay people to think for them. they just put up a forum and ask what people around the world think. then test the possibilitys that come in... and for all you people who think im crazy, i maybe.....
                            Last edited by Eberhardt; 25 February 2006, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy
                              I don't know whether or not someone has posted this so humor me.

the ninth chevron could allow you to open a wormhole to a place that doesn't have a stargate thus opening a whole lot more places up for exploration.

(it's just a thought it could be wrong)

trying to open a wormhole without something to connect to? wouldnt the wormhole just try and conect to the nearest stargate? like when they are hit with a large amount of energy and "jump" to the closest stargate in the network?

Comment

Originally posted by Eberhardt
                                trying to open a wormhole without something to connect to? wouldnt the wormhole just try and conect to the nearest stargate? like when they are hit with a large amount of energy and "jump" to the closest stargate in the network?
                                Well normally that would be the case if you only dialed seven to eight chevrons but if you had the programming and some cordinates you should be able to jump to(if this is what the ninth chevron is for) anywhere in the galaxy that there are cordinates for on the gate.

Of course the chevron could be as people have supposed it to be and be nothing more than an asthetic center piece for the gate but the Alterans have a way of making asthetics that have a function.

Comment

Working...
                                X