This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Avatar28 View Post
    Well there are similar materials, but they're really expensive. Maybe you're thinking of Aluminum oxynitride (ALON). It is also $10-15 per square INCH meaning that the windows would be EXTREMELY expensive, likely in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.
    well that must be where their budget goes
    we have seen a
    Spoiler:
    F-302 in hyperspace in Atlantis 3.01

Comment

That F-302 got there by latching onto the Hiveship, not by using it's own Hyperdrive.

Comment

Originally posted by knowsfords View Post
        I was kinda hoping that the F-302's would've gotten the experimental transparent aluminium which is pure white aluminium finely polished. Link
        Why? Wouldn't they be weak as hell?

Comment

Its agreed that it is not glass. From Season One we saw that according to T'ealc there is no glass-like ubstance in the Universe capable of withstanding the velocity of hyperspace. But then again he didn't know what kind of ship he was on, didn't he say he had never seen one like it? Leaving the door open to the fact that he could be wrong.

Also, the shape of the ship was triangular, so the forces were more directly acting on the area where the "glass" would have been. In the 302's the "glass" is angled, so the forces would not be directly acting on them and they could possibly withstand with the help of the IDs.

302's can open hyperspace windows, follow link to the omnipedia.

http://gateworld.net/omnipedia/ships/links/f-302.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
            Why? Wouldn't they be weak as hell?
            What, transparent aluminum windows? That's gonna be stronger than glass.
            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
              They did to an extent, but the Naquadria was too unstable to power them for prolonged periods...
              True. Still its hardly a reason to leave it in the end product lol. I definately wouldn't if i was in charge of the product.
              Christopher H.
              Stargate Atlantis Fan
              WebSite Owner: Excellent Credit Cards

Comment

Inertial dampners only lessen the effects of g-forces that the pilot feels. It was an F-302 that did the hyperdrive maneuver to anubis' flagship. You hear them say it in the episode. Yes, i mean F-302 not X-302.

Best Stargate quote:
                Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by mizzoueng View Post
                  Its agreed that it is not glass. From Season One we saw that according to T'ealc there is no glass-like ubstance in the Universe capable of withstanding the velocity of hyperspace. But then again he didn't know what kind of ship he was on, didn't he say he had never seen one like it? Leaving the door open to the fact that he could be wrong.

Also, the shape of the ship was triangular, so the forces were more directly acting on the area where the "glass" would have been. In the 302's the "glass" is angled, so the forces would not be directly acting on them and they could possibly withstand with the help of the IDs.

302's can open hyperspace windows, follow link to the omnipedia.

http://gateworld.net/omnipedia/ships/links/f-302.shtml
                  But what forces are you actually talking about? It's in space so there's next to no friction at all and we don't really know whats in hyperspace...

Comment

In episodes like the Lost City, on Anubis's ship it looks like he is looking through a giant window that is glass not a forcefield. So i think they have figured out how to fix the whole cant use a transparent material in hyperspace. More than likely just better inertial dampeners.

Comment

Well, we don't really what the physical properties of hyperspace is. What you say about space is true, but there is a lot about space we do not know yet. There are gravimetric tidal forces acting througout the universe, this much is known. You also have the solar winds tht impart some forces on bodies in space.

What happens to these forces as you approach the speed of light? Or surpass it? We dont know. Light is effected by gravity, this is shown by "looking" at black holes. We also know that time slows the closer you get to the speed of light. This one fact seems to not hold true in hyperspace, the gravimetric forces seem to be the most logical forces to be acting on the ships. These forces could be amplifed greatly in hyperspace. Assuming hyperspace windows open a tunnel, much like a stargate, but at the same time different, the G forces acting on the walls of the tunnel would act on the body traveling through it. These forces would be directly proportional to the forces acting on the tunnel, which is the stellar bodys you are traveling by. Which are stars, planets, blackholes, etc. If we knew more about what exactly hyperspace was, we could properly quell this discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by mizzoueng View Post
                        Well, we don't really what the physical properties of hyperspace is. What you say about space is true, but there is a lot about space we do not know yet. There are gravimetric tidal forces acting througout the universe, this much is known. You also have the solar winds tht impart some forces on bodies in space.

What happens to these forces as you approach the speed of light? Or surpass it? We dont know. Light is effected by gravity, this is shown by "looking" at black holes. We also know that time slows the closer you get to the speed of light. This one fact seems to not hold true in hyperspace, the gravimetric forces seem to be the most logical forces to be acting on the ships. These forces could be amplifed greatly in hyperspace. Assuming hyperspace windows open a tunnel, much like a stargate, but at the same time different, the G forces acting on the walls of the tunnel would act on the body traveling through it. These forces would be directly proportional to the forces acting on the tunnel, which is the stellar bodys you are traveling by. Which are stars, planets, blackholes, etc. If we knew more about what exactly hyperspace was, we could properly quell this discussion.

None of those relativistic forces would be relevant with hyperspace. The whole purpose of using a hyperspace drive is that it allows you to bypass relativity and exceed the speed of light. Regardless, Teal'c statement has proven to be false since we use windows on our ships all the time and apparently have no problems with it. Then again, Teal'c, ultimately, is a warrior. Or maybe the goa'uld just never developed Lexan (polycarbonate).

Comment

Working...
                        X