• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trial By Fire

Visit the Books SectionDISCUSS ...
    TRIAL BY FIRE
    AUTHOR - Sabine C. Bauer

The team embarks on a mission to Tyros, an ancient society teetering on the brink of war. But when their spiritual leader is murdered, the Tyreans beg SG-1 for help against their sworn enemies.

Visit the Books Section >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 23 November 2004, 07:53 PM.

I enjoyed the story. Thought it was a little slow in some parts, but it had a good battle scene. I really disliked Dr. Kelly mainly for the 'duckie' part. I never really understood her role in the plot other than to start the story off. Good capture of the characters' personalities.

Comment

I did enjoy this one, when I read it - but it didn't stun me. To be honest, I prefer this author's fanfic. I found the character of the English professor to be very stereotypical and unoriginal, but I forgave that because she provided the basis for a lot of very funny moments with Jack as she drove him insane. <g>

I found much of the plot to be a little dull - Greek/Roman mythology is a real turnoff for me these days. Been there, done that, could we have some other alien civilisation please?

The characterisations were excellent though and I did find that the story picked up for me in the last third. Well, actually, the first third was interesting too. It was just the middle really that dragged for me.

All in all, I did like it - it didn't suck - but it didn't spark the feeling in me when I finished it that I'd read a really good Stargate story and it's probably not one I'd read again. Unlike Sacrifice Moon and A Matter of Honor, which will get future revisits.

Albion
      Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Overall this was a good fic. The Phygian commander was probably the best OC in any kind of SG1 fic for ages!
        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

i enjoyed it. about my only real quibbles were

info dumps: at times it seemed that the author was just cramming info in there to prove that she did the research.

britisms: at one point jack thinks/says 'plan b is what you do when plan a goes pear shaped'
          ok, as a person from the midwest, which jack is....the only thing we call pear shaped are pears

I agree that i've enjoyed doc's fanfic more, but you do have to consider one thing. when she wrote fanfic, she had the freedom to do whatever she wanted. to write these novels, she has fandy and MGM looking over her shoulder, basically censoring her words/ideas

It even says in fandy's submission guidelines that 'status quo must be attained at the end'. Nothing in these books can contradict canon, so the author is limited as to what she can/can't do

this is the price we'll pay for official, sanctioned novels. time will tell if this sanitization of the books works out in MGM's favor or if it kills the novels as writers adn fans turn to free and, to some, better fanfiction instead of the nice, safe and 'keep it canon' books
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

You've got a point there. When I did a fanfic series a couple of years back now, I had Hammond use a Britism without realising and my US beta called me on it. Why the Fandemonium PTB didn't check for similar stuff I'm not sure.
            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G
              You've got a point there. When I did a fanfic series a couple of years back now, I had Hammond use a Britism without realising and my US beta called me on it. Why the Fandemonium PTB didn't check for similar stuff I'm not sure.
              i'm guessing they didn't notice it. they are a british company, presumably, staffed wtih british people. It's just like me, as an american, don't always realize that my idioms, like 'up the creek without a paddle' or other such phrases' meanings are not universal.

I know what i'm talking about, but my readers may not.

fandy probably didn't realize that they had an american talking british.

sigpic

Comment

Up a creek without a paddle and non-PG varients of it are fairly common over here as well so you should have been able to get away with that. Having said that, there's enough phrases around that I thought were universal that turned out to be 'Britisms'.
                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

i was trying to think of something that was really american, or even american south..phrases or idioms that just don't make any sense literally, but do colloquilly.

for example, a nickname for an idiot is 'nimrod'....i used that in a fic and got feedback from a brit who was confused. seems that Nimrod is a missile defense system over there.

maybe something like 'he don't know diddly from apple butter'

sigpic

Comment

Chopped Liver is an americanism.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      maybe something like 'he don't know diddly from apple butter'

Maybe 'he don't know diddley squat' or calling him a 'dipstick'. Reference
                      to a plan going wrong could be 'belly up'.

Comment

it would have been less british if jack had said 'plan b is what you do when plan a goes to hell' or something like that

the 'pear shaped' is what threw me

it's an easy mistake to make, and one that seems to be complicated by fandy being a brit company, so it's something they probably didn't even think of.

but, while i don't have an issue with brit spellings or even descriptions a bit british, it's odd to hear/read american characters thinking/talking in brit slang

It'd be the same way if i read James Bond ordering some chicken fried steak with biscuits (as in the bread) in a pub in downtown london

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          it would have been less british if jack had said 'plan b is what you do when plan a goes to hell' or something like that

the 'pear shaped' is what threw me

it's an easy mistake to make, and one that seems to be complicated by fandy being a brit company, so it's something they probably didn't even think of.

but, while i don't have an issue with brit spellings or even descriptions a bit british, it's odd to hear/read american characters thinking/talking in brit slang

It'd be the same way if i read James Bond ordering some chicken fried steak with biscuits (as in the bread) in a pub in downtown london
                          The Gateworld reviewer mentioned the ‘Britishisms’ in his write-ups on TbF and it’s funny but I’ve never noticed any in Sabine’s fanfic [she is the legendary ‘Doc’, of course].

DON’T YOU SMILE AT ME LIKE THAT! THAT’S NOT EVEN A REAL SMILE! IT’S JUST A BUNCH OF TEETH PLAYING WITH MY MIND! Sig courtesy of AmberMoon… kneel before your God!

WWW.SUPERNANNY.US.COM. Log on. Or it’s the naughty chair for you.

Comment

i know, i don't recal it in her fic either

either i just didn't notice it or it's something fandy or an editor at fandy did

I e-mailed them, pointing it out....never got a response so who knows

guess we'll find out when they get another brit author and see if the same thing happens

I guess i'm more forgiving in a fanfic. that's free and something a person is doing, basically out of the goodness of their heart. these novels, they're getting paid for it. fandy's getting paid for it, mgm is getting paid for it.....and since i'm paying, i have some standards that i don't think are too out of line

of course, on the other side of the coin, their license doesn't allow them to distribute to the US, they're selling to a mainly brit audience, maybe they just don't care since, technically, i'm not thier target audience

sigpic

Comment

It's odd then that they'd call the third book "A Matter of Honor" when it's Honour in British. If they're letting Britishisms slide on the grounds that the books are only to be sold in the UK then why are they spelling words the amarican way?

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                              X